Found an iphone don't know what to do

Ika324

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
So my friend and I work at a ski resort and we found an iphone that had been thru some beatings by nature, and we asked our boss about it and he said keep it, no one goes up there during summer, most likely it was lost during the winter and doesn't even work.
I got home and charged it and it seems to work fine, it has no sim card in it, and i tried to facebook the owner but a ton of people have the same name as her, I kind of want it but idk if i can even use it, is there a policy on lost iphones? and is there another way to contact her?

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
uh don't add the person as your facebook friend :p

also if it already didn't have a sim card in it thats kind of strange. I would just go turn it in to the police, I believe if no one claims it after a certain amount of time you will be able to keep it. I could have just made that up though.

chembox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
There wasn't a SIM card in it? That's interesting...

Just go to the Facebook app and get the profile information, then contact her.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Call someone in her phonebook with the same last name? Or something with the name "Mom" or "Dad"

SDub90

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Long Island
No email address on the phone? What about an iTunes account? Go to settings -> store and the account email address should be at the top.

Ika324

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
So the problem is her name is an asian name, so i will end up talking to at least 20 random girls, looking for the right one if she even has one.
I looked at the songs she had in it, and they are korean songs, I live in a tourist town with tourists from around the world so i guess police is my best bet?

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
You could take it to any Apple or AT&T store. They can use the serial number to get it back to the original owner. On the other hand if it's without a SIM probably it's changed hands since the original purchase.

If it's unclaimed after awhile perhaps the folks at the store can return it to you...ask them about it. You'd enjoy it more knowing you did what you could to get it back to its owner.

Ika324

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
I'll try that, I just looked thru the settings and found her email so i shot her an email, hopefully she'll write back and discuss what to do, if she doesn't i'll head to the apple store, thanks guys

lokster

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2010
id keep it, taking out the sim card requires some effort, maybe the guy thought it was broke, took the sim card and just threw the phone wherever. is it a 2g or 3g or 3gs?

SDub90

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Long Island
I'll try that, I just looked thru the settings and found her email so i shot her an email, hopefully she'll write back and discuss what to do, if she doesn't i'll head to the apple store, thanks guys
It makes me happy to see someone doing the right thing :)

Ika324

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
haha my friend's have gotten phones stolen left and right, it's just a bad feeling, so i'll try my best to get this back to the owner, and I don't know how to use an iphone so idk how many g's it is, and i don't have internet connection so using apps and stuff is out of it

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
My guess on it having no SIM is that she was traveling in the US from Korea and didn't want to rack up big roaming charges. So she just took out here SIM.

Ika324

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
wooo, she emailed back, she goes to college in my state, she was stoked thought she'd never see it again, problem solved

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
wooo, she emailed back, she goes to college in my state, she was stoked thought she'd never see it again, problem solved
Awesome! glad you got it taken care of OP good for you doing the right thing, seems like not a lot of that going around here lately.

Ika324

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Thank you, i guess hawaiians are all you guys have left in terms of nice people hahaha jk

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Ika324 said:
Very cool, and nice to read that you did the right thing here. :)