Found an iphone don't know what to do

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ika324, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Ika324 macrumors newbie

So my friend and I work at a ski resort and we found an iphone that had been thru some beatings by nature, and we asked our boss about it and he said keep it, no one goes up there during summer, most likely it was lost during the winter and doesn't even work.
    I got home and charged it and it seems to work fine, it has no sim card in it, and i tried to facebook the owner but a ton of people have the same name as her, I kind of want it but idk if i can even use it, is there a policy on lost iphones? and is there another way to contact her?

2. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

uh don't add the person as your facebook friend :p

also if it already didn't have a sim card in it thats kind of strange. I would just go turn it in to the police, I believe if no one claims it after a certain amount of time you will be able to keep it. I could have just made that up though.

3. chembox macrumors 6502a

There wasn't a SIM card in it? That's interesting...

Just go to the Facebook app and get the profile information, then contact her.

4. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Call someone in her phonebook with the same last name? Or something with the name "Mom" or "Dad"

5. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

call one of the contacts and tell them u have their friends phone

6. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

No email address on the phone? What about an iTunes account? Go to settings -> store and the account email address should be at the top.

7. Ika324 thread starter macrumors newbie

So the problem is her name is an asian name, so i will end up talking to at least 20 random girls, looking for the right one if she even has one.
    I looked at the songs she had in it, and they are korean songs, I live in a tourist town with tourists from around the world so i guess police is my best bet?

8. lci3341 macrumors newbie

9. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

You could take it to any Apple or AT&T store. They can use the serial number to get it back to the original owner. On the other hand if it's without a SIM probably it's changed hands since the original purchase.

If it's unclaimed after awhile perhaps the folks at the store can return it to you...ask them about it. You'd enjoy it more knowing you did what you could to get it back to its owner.

10. Ika324 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try that, I just looked thru the settings and found her email so i shot her an email, hopefully she'll write back and discuss what to do, if she doesn't i'll head to the apple store, thanks guys

11. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

id keep it, taking out the sim card requires some effort, maybe the guy thought it was broke, took the sim card and just threw the phone wherever. is it a 2g or 3g or 3gs?

12. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

It makes me happy to see someone doing the right thing :)

13. Ika324 thread starter macrumors newbie

haha my friend's have gotten phones stolen left and right, it's just a bad feeling, so i'll try my best to get this back to the owner, and I don't know how to use an iphone so idk how many g's it is, and i don't have internet connection so using apps and stuff is out of it

14. cirial macrumors regular

Good man. Keep us updated if she emails you back..

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

My guess on it having no SIM is that she was traveling in the US from Korea and didn't want to rack up big roaming charges. So she just took out here SIM.

16. Ika324 thread starter macrumors newbie

wooo, she emailed back, she goes to college in my state, she was stoked thought she'd never see it again, problem solved

17. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Awesome! glad you got it taken care of OP good for you doing the right thing, seems like not a lot of that going around here lately.

18. Ika324 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, i guess hawaiians are all you guys have left in terms of nice people hahaha jk

19. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

You are hereby awarded 1000 karma points.

20. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Good job for being honest. Is she cute? :D

21. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

22. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!

I spit up my Drink when I read this.:)

23. skiltrip macrumors 68030

+1 on this question. It's vital information to properly assess this whole situation. :D

24. dgstan macrumors 6502a

That's what I was wondering. Personally, I probably would have called to 20 Asian girls in her contacts, but that's just me.

25. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Very cool, and nice to read that you did the right thing here. :)