Found an iPhone, what to do...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by aethelbert, Mar 16, 2008.

1. aethelbert macrumors 601

I found a brand new, unopened iPhone at the PHL airport today, 16/3/2008.

Well, my 'found' thread got locked for some reason, so I'm gonna quote myself from there now:

I'm not too sure that I can find the owner. I'm wondering if anyone has any good ideas on places other than macrumors and craigslist where I can list this to find the owner. Any ideas? Has anyone ever been a situation like this an been successful as the finder (or even the one who lost the thing)?

I appriceate your input.
    Thanks

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Maybe you could call apple with the S/N on the box and they can tell you whom bought it or at least get in touch with whom bought it.

3. blairwillis macrumors regular

The more I think about it....

this should go to Page 1. Mods?

4. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Wow, the poor guy who lost the iphone! You are very honest for reporting it :)

5. aethelbert thread starter macrumors 601

What number would you suggest calling? AppleCare doesn't seem right, but I don't know. I know that they've not been too helpful with this stuff in the past, but it's worth a try.

6. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

have you notified the airport or Customs? once the owner realizes it's missing, s/he'll probably notify those places to be on the lookout.

i feel compelled to add that it genuinely brings me joy to see someone doing the honest, noble thing instead of profiting from someone else's misfortune.

7. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

That's great that you are doing your best to try to find the original owner, but the mods aren't going to take too kindly to you posting this multiple times:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=455293

Your best bet would be to contact them about displaying this more prominently on the site or trying in your local paper/Craigslist.
    If you have already contacted the mods and they gave you permission to double post then I offer my apologies for bringing it up.

8. stevegmu macrumors regular

9. blairwillis macrumors regular

Or AT&T. I have a buddy who runs a store for them and will check in the morning if he can do some research.

I also sent this to Arn in hopes they'll consider this for a Page 1 special headline. If anything, the more people see this the better chance to find the owner. And for the heckuvit I submitted it to Drudge... time for a positive news story for a change!

It's really encouraging to see good selfless acts of kindness like this.

10. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

That's really nice of you to go to this trouble.

I hope you find the owner. And if not, after a reasonable length of time has elapsed, then I suppose you will have inherited a new iPhone. If you don't want to keep it, you can sell it and donate the money to charity.

11. aethelbert thread starter macrumors 601

Yeah, I notified customs about the box sitting on the carousel. They're the ones that told me that nobody could come back for it. I did leave my name and contact info with someone with border protection, but I'm not so sure that it will be left in good hands. So I figured that I would try to find the owner instead of having someone just taking it. And PHL airport is the last place that I would want to tell about something like this as they employ some of the biggest jerks that I've ever had the mispleasure of dealing with.

Comment not appriceated.

Good idea, but finding it in an international arrivals terminal makes me think that it was purchased abroad and probably not at an AT&T store. And since the box hasn't been opened, I doubt that AT&T is even a part of this picture.

I've already got one, and I do plan to donate the money to a charity if I can't find the owner.

Thanks everyone for your support!

12. TravisReynolds macrumors regular

TravisReynolds

call the airport and ask if anyone is looking for an iphone

if not then keep it i'd say

13. aethelbert thread starter macrumors 601

Here I'm just asking for ideas for where to list it next, not to alert attention to the fact that it was found... I don't plan to post it anywhere else, I just used the link for background information so that I can get some ideas.

It was lost at a checkpoint, where they specifically say not to report lost items... Oh well. And the staff employed by the airport at PHL wouldn't be too helpful here (so I think), because they've never been helpful to me in the past. I'd like to avoid them if I can, but if someone reports a lost iPhone to them, I'll try to get the contact info.

14. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Call AppleCare. They will contact the owner if he/she registered the product or if they somehow can get any info from the serial number or IMEI. Trust me, it works. My sister got her week-old iPod back after leaving it in Boston Logan Airport and a nice couple knew to call Apple to return it.

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

i wonder if you could contact the airport, they are bound to have security footage...i doubt they would let you use it

16. maceleven macrumors 6502

i apologize

:(

17. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Due props.

Good luck to you, OP. I hope you find the rightful owner, and thanks for your time and efforts. It's nice to know there are people like you in the world. :) It sounds like you are using every option I can think of already.

18. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Keep it. Sell it. Use it. Donate it.

You found a phone in an international airport. It is like finding a phone in a taxi. That person might check with the lost and found, but if nothing shows up, s/he moves on. Tough luck for them, good luck for you.

19. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Well, I think that much has already been established. The OP's just being more persistant than average, which I think is great.

I found a $20 sitting on the floor at a food court once. Nobody around said anything when I picked it up and held it for a minute (e.g. "Hey, wait, that's mine"). I bought my lunch (with my own money) and sat at a table near where I found it, waiting to see if anyone looked like they had dropped some money. Nobody ever did claim it, so I donated the $20 to charity.

20. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If you take anything that you find in a taxi, or in a shop, that is most definitely theft. It is not lost, because it is still on someone's property. The owner of the taxi or the owner of the shop is in possession of the item, so taking it away is theft. The same thing as if you took an iPod out of my pocket that I borrowed from a friend.

21. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Your very honest, if it was me it would be plugged in to my Mac getting unlocked by now :D

22. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

So are you telling me that when I bring my cell phone to a friends, it becomes his property? I am not following.

And me taking something out your pocket is completely different then me taking something from a taxi that someone left behind.

23. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

It's unopened. AT&T doesn't know it exists yet unless they bought it at an at&t store.

24. 7on macrumors 601

7on

It becomes his if you leave it there and don't claim it. Someone else can't go into your friend's house, see it, and then claim it as his own.