Found an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by crisss1205, Feb 19, 2009.

1. crisss1205 macrumors 6502a

crisss1205

I was on the NYC Subway today and fond an iPhone 3G. The phone is password protected so I can't look into the phone and see if there is a "Home" contact or something similar. I can't take it to the police because it will get "LOST". Any ideas on what I should do?

2. chomby1991 macrumors member

Take it to apple, they'd be able to use the model number etc to find out who bought it perhaps.

This is just a guess but your best bet would be taking to apple or at&t

(BTW) nice to find other people who would return such a thing. nice to know if i lose mine i have a chance and also taking it to apple they can find the imei number and then they would be able to find out through at&t who the phone is registered to

3. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

Kudos for you making an effort to return the phone to the owner.
    Take it to Apple, I'm sure they know how to get around the password to get to the owner's phone number somehow.

4. crisss1205 thread starter macrumors 6502a

crisss1205

Called up Apple 5th Avenue near where I found it and they said they could trace the serial number to the owner, thanks anyway.

5. northy014 macrumors regular

Nice to know that there really are people like you out there.

6. Mr. Owl macrumors newbie

Mr. Owl

I'll also chime in to agree with the people here saying that you should try taking it to the Apple Sto...

Aha. Right.

Well, I also wanted to pass on some more Kudos for being the rare guy who is doing the right thing.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yea, the iPhone's phone number IS the owner's phone number...

8. Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

Indeed - great to see a stand-up guy doing the Right Thing™...

This illustrates why I never pass-code lock my iPhone; how the heck would anyone
    be able to call someone in my Favorites or Recents lists in order to contact me? :confused:

9. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Yes, like others have said, Kudos on doing the right thing. It would be absolute torture for me to give away a $600 device. Good job and I'm sure the owner will appreciate it tremendously :).

10. crisss1205 thread starter macrumors 6502a

crisss1205

I have my iPhone password protected (not passcode) and I set the name of my iPhone as "if found call ###-###-####". this way if they plig it into iTunes it will give them my home phone number.

Attached Files:

11. firewood macrumors 604

That's why I have an small sticker on the back on my iPhone, with a "reward if found" email address. Honest people should be rewarded.

12. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Well, also you can get a bit more information by going to "emergency call only" and then calling your own number. You will then see the iPhone's number as the incoming call, and can let the phone company know you have that person's lost phone.

(Because the iPhone lets you call anyone at all with the "emergency call only" function :confused:)

13. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Good karma is hard to come by... and the OP will surely get some for doing the right thing. :)

14. shadownddust macrumors member

You can also use the "If Found, please..." app by polka, which lets you put a self defined banner on your wallpaper image, and include contact information if you lose it. That way you can have your cake and eat it too. :)

15. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

16. crisss1205 thread starter macrumors 6502a

crisss1205

I don't know I gave it to one of the Genius bar members at the Apple Store by my house. She said they can look up the AT&T account from the phone number loaded on the SIM card and mail it to her/him or contact them.

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454