Found great price on W3580 3.33!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Roman23, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Roman23 macrumors 6502

Hello everyone,

As many of you know I used to have a 2008 Harpertown mac pro. Just recently got a refurbished 2.66(I know its slow, but its faster than my 8-core 2008!) nehalem mac pro. QUESTION: I just found on ebay for a buy it now price of 700.00 - a W3580 processor, the same one that one would pay 1200.00 for to upgrade on the apple store.

CAN THIS PROCESSOR be used in place of the current 2.66? Given what we know about 4,1 mac pro - it has the same SMC, same firmware, same everything, so I don't see why this would be an issue. I did read that someone tried to upgrade the 2.26 processors and wound up buying a whole new board and stuff, but I was told that the single-quad cores are easier to upgrade and not much hassle is given towards them.

So, if I were to BUY this processor(w3580) - Can I just remove the 2.66 and pop in the 3.33? I do know that the processors in these 4,1 quad-core units
    DONNOT have the heat spreader, but if I were to apply artic silver or the best thermal compound I can buy, WILL THIS WORK?? Can someone tell me yes for certain?

I figure why wait when the price is right.. currently, have 6GB of memory 1066 DDR3, 4x1TB hard drives, dual superdrive(one being from my 2008 mac pro connected to the odd port), ati radeon 4870 HD. I mean, why should I spend 1200.00 extra from apple when I can just get the processor for 700.00 buy it now?

2. Spacedust macrumors 6502a

Yes. It should work without any problems. Just drop-in and you're done.

3. Roman23 thread starter macrumors 6502

can you show me a pic?

Hey, can you show me a PHYSICAL picture of the original processor from a single-quad mac pro, so that I feel more confident that indeed, standard oem intel processors with heat spreaders can be used(I was thinking w3580 or w3570). One is 3.20 and 3.33 - not much diff in speed, price is 100 less than w3580

4. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

5. mrh63061 macrumors newbie

mrh63061

Single CPU has heat spreader.

The single Quad Core CPU has a heat spreader, it's only the dual CPU that don't have them, why they don't have them is between Apple and Intel.
    I can confirm this through the service manual.

6. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I just looked on eBay and there was a used W3580 for $599 (buy it now). That's a no brainer for a 2.66 and even tempting as a 2.93 owner. :D

7. Roman23 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, but...

Are you 300 percent sure that it is a standard OEM processor with the heat spreader? If so, then if I buy next month the 3.33 or 3.20(w3570), then will this be an easier upgrade compared to the dual systems?

I will never goto a dual system since I don't use any pro apps whatsoever.. consider that I use my mac pro as an everyday tinkering device and everyday apps, such as emailing, surfing the web,.,. and very occasional work with iphoto and imovie.. nothing using pro apps.

8. Roman23 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, what does this mean?!

According to the service manuel, does this mean that YES - I can buy any OEM intel bloomfield processor(the one I want is W3580 or W3570) Apple has the w3580 for 1200.00 more, but why spend that when I can just get the processor and upgrade it..

2ndly, can you post a picture of what would be the processor I currently have, showing the heat spreader and everything? I am aware of the dangers of the dual systems of which I don't have nor will want to have.

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yes, the W3570 or W3580 will work.

But do be careful with the heatsinks, as the integrated fan connector is fairly easy to damage apparently (article linked as well as other users here on MR that've done processor upgrades in '09's), as is the mating connector on the daughterboard. And if you don't get a proper connection, the system won't POST.

10. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

The Quad uses a normal CPU heat spreader for sure. Numerous people here have done the upgrade and it's a fairly trivial undertaking. The Octo is a whole other story. Search for other threads on this topic. There are several.

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

There's been a couple that have managed it successfully with standard OEM processors though (have the IHS).

It is a rather delicate process though, especially with the fan connectors in the heatsinks (have to remove them from the aluminum base, and connect them manually due to the added height of the IHS). Not for the faint of heart I'd imagine.

12. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Yeah if I recall Anand toasted his CPU logic board trying to do the upgrade. I personally wouldn't go there on the Octo but I'm very tempted to upgrade my Quad. Hmmm. :)

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

Upgrading a Quad would be much easier IMO, though caution can't be completely abandoned. :p

Perhaps there's another good deal here and there yet to be found on eBay. ;)

14. Roman23 thread starter macrumors 6502

Does this apply to the single-quad core?

"It is a rather delicate process though, especially with the fan connectors in the heatsinks (have to remove them from the aluminum base, and connect them manually due to the added height of the IHS). Not for the faint of heart I'd imagine.[/QUOTE]"

Does the above reference the single-quad core mac pros or the duals? I am now confused.

15. Roman23 thread starter macrumors 6502

Only applies to

the DUAL models, and not the single-core mac pros since they use standard intel OEM processors with heat spreaders.

16. Gomff macrumors 6502a

Begs the question then, why go to the trouble of risking breaking your system and laying out the cash if it's just for casual use??

Not trying to be contrary, just don't understand what there is to be gained, except the satisfaction of successfully tinkering up your machine spec slightly. I could appreciate that if the risk of severe damage wasn't so great and potentially expensive.

Anyway.....Just saying. Good luck if you do go ahead with it.

17. Roman23 thread starter macrumors 6502

One reason

This is my LAST Mac Pro.. the 2010's I fear and beyond(assuming nanofrog is wrong) are going to be out of consumer price range.. and even so, if i did trade this up I'd rather have it beefed up to the 3.33 or 3.20 processor. Memory will take care of itself.. hard drives I already have 4TB(1x4TB) hard drive space..

simply put - this may be my LAST Mac that I can afford, as I am on a fixed income(not too fixed), but also work part time.. though right now, I am with the 2010 Census and the money is great..

18. Roman23 thread starter macrumors 6502

2008 mac pro

If it wasn't for the trade up price of 2000.00, I could never ever have afforded anything.. so, my outa pocket expenses were far far less than I had expected. The guy originally wanted 1900.00 for my system, but then I told him other things I did with the machine(beefed the memory up) + added more hard drives , and above all: all original manuals and operating disks.

$2000.00 for the whole thing.. It was a 2008 Harpertown 3.00(similar to 3.2).

19. nanofrog macrumors G4

DP systems, as the SP units' already use parts with the IHS in tact (has the clamping system for the LGA1366 parts found on any other LGA1366 socket board), so the height won't be an issue.

But for the DP systems, it's a bit of an issue, though can be overcome (i.e. no clamp/latch to the socket, nor do the original parts have an IHS on them). But standard OEM parts have been successfully used on these as well (just requires the fan connector to be removed from the aluminum base plate of the heatsink, and connected manually before screwing the heatsink down).

20. Roman23 thread starter macrumors 6502

Uh.. already bought it!

I will be submitting my payment on friday to the guy. I have already thermal compound though not artic silver.. I bought this at radio shack near me. Now, all I need is the CORRECT torx screw driver and I will be set.

21. Roman23 thread starter macrumors 6502

This is to pro-long the machine..

As I probably won't be getting another mac anymore after this.. as the 2010's and beyond(if apple still makes them into 2013-2014 - nanofrog and EOF of the mac pro) - will be too expensive and even if I did trade up the quad core single 3.33 mac pro(was 2.66), I would probably got like 1000.00 for it by the time the 2010's are 1 yr old anyway..

Plus, for my needs its fine. 8-core is just too much computer for my needs, until everyday apps(NOT PRO APPS) require more than 4 cores in order to run.

22. Gomff macrumors 6502a

Fair enough, it's obviously up to you so good luck, I'm sure it'll work out well.

Cheers!

23. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Between what you can sell your 2.66 for and the extra resale you will get out of your 2009, it may actually be a wash financially in the end.

24. Roman23 thread starter macrumors 6502

what do you mean?

Are you saying that I should have just traded up the machine? The processor is a lot less than the 2009 3.33 mac pro... thats 1200.00 more though.. I think I got a good deal on this processor. $549.00 + free shipping. As for my 2.66 processor, I plan to keep this as also I am getting apple care.

well lets see if it would be a wash:

2.66 w3520 - 320.00
    3.33 w3580 - 549.00

Not much of a wash, but nice though.

25. Roman23 thread starter macrumors 6502

why would you think it wouldn't work out?

I'm curious as to why you think it wouldn't work out though.