Found Iphone, Have some important questions

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Skizzam, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skizzam macrumors newbie

Hi there, I made an account because I would really like to know some things...

My friend and I were at the mall and she found a brand new Iphone 4 sitting in the stall, So we took it back to my place and I spent hours trying to restore it to factory, as it had a passcode on it. We took the sim card out, And I finally restored it to factory settings... I am going to try "Hacktivating" it with a phonebook card because the phone went with Bell and I use Rogers.
    What I'm mainly wondering here is, What steps do I have to take to make this phone work with my network and itunes and stuff, I have a 3GS currently but I really want this iphone 4 to work... Am I going to be able to get it to work with my itunes account and my phone network whatnot? Or is it useless to try

I'm basically just hoping that there is some way I can sync this iphone 4 with my computer and itunes, and Unlock it to work with my network...

Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated :D

2. funwithamar macrumors regular

im sure the phone can be found using the imei no.
    but if u still want to keep it and give unlocking a try, give more info of what firmware did u restore it to ?

3. Skizzam thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe I restored it to 4.2.1, It took me a few hours to get around a number of errors during restore

I was hoping I could change the IMEI number somehow as I was just looking into it online, I'm just not sure where to start looking with all of this

4. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

the baseband is too new so dont believe you can unlock it yet

5. Dizle macrumors 6502

Contact Apple or At&t and try to get it back to its owner. You are a real dirt bag if you're just going to steal it. Karmas a bitch

6. Skizzam thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah thats harsh news :/

Is it still possible to activate it without the original sim card?

And if I do eventually get it unlocked and activated, Will it work with my itunes and my computer?

Thanks for the answers so far

7. Skizzam thread starter macrumors newbie

Karma may be a bitch, But it could have been their karma for losing it. Besides, Im unlocking the phone for my girl so if you want to yell at someone get a hold of her not me

8. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

the owner can remotely install a virus on it. i wouldn't hook it up to your computer. i would contact Rogers and get it back to the owner.

9. Skizzam thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not that gullible, I dont need any guilt trips just help please, She found the phone, and I already brought up the Idea of returning it, She refused so I dont know what to say

10. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

...say that you lost it too. now be a big boy and return it. i'm sure the owner will reward you.

11. Skizzam thread starter macrumors newbie

**** it, you guys are right. all of this hacking stuff is too much of a hassle anyway. Ive got a perfectly fine 3GS on a 3 year warranty and im not gonna trade it away for a stolen Iphone 4. You're right at least it wont be on my conscience if i give it back to my friend. they can decide what to do with it

12. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Goodjob of doing the right thing :D

13. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

With a nice pat on the back.

14. tehreflex macrumors 6502

Pretty much, I found a cell phone and called the dad on the phone and told them I left it with the college security. Just got a thank you, it was a crap flip phone anyway. Now for an iPhone the reward may be better. I would just keep it as a fancy iPod Touch.

15. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

+1

16. Dizle macrumors 6502

You shouldn't expect an immediate reward, you should feel good about helping someone else out in this world and know you did the right thing.

Wouldn't you like to have your iphone 4 you just paid $253 for returned to you if you lost it?

17. Cortezbanks macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why expect a reward at all? Just give the phone back and think about if it were your phone how happy you would be to get it back. DBD, don't be dumb.

18. CZK macrumors 6502a

People here telling you to give it away are not in your situation. So easy to tell others what they should do.

If it was my phone, i would not expect even in my crazier dreams that someone would take the time and effort to give me back my iphone.

Keep it, thats what i think you should do. Thats what i would do at least.

Thats not stealing and not illegal. You found it, you found it.

19. bighabeeb macrumors 6502

Wow lot of scumbags here. Like someone said, Karma can be a real bitch, or it can work for you.

several years back I had valet parked my car at a bar. Picked it up at the end of the night and was most of the way home (a good hour away). Hear some odd music - valet dropped his nextel phone in my car and was calling it trying to find it. I answered it, and made arrangements to meet the dude half way between me and him, and returned him. He was grateful, offered me a couple bucks which I turned down - stating the same, "Karma can work for you or against you"

Fast forward to about a year ago. Getting out of my car, as can happen, my blackberry holster broke. I didnt notice till I was already on the train. My assumption was that the phone was gone and that I was going to need to purchase a new one. AN hour later I get a phone call from a Sprint store in the city - someone had found it, assumed I was going to NY, brought it in and dropped it at the store and had them call me. Got the phone back, perfect condition, with no issues. Guy had left the holster in his car so he left his phone number so I could get that back too. Called him, and same deal - offered a few bucks for the return which he turned down.

Sometimes, folks, the karma is worth more than whatever it is you've found.

20. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Grow a set. If 'your girl' is willing to steal a phone, she won't think twice about cheating on you. Quite the catch you have there. :rolleyes:

Oh, the people telling you to keep it are on my Ignore List. What a shocker...NOT!

21. CZK macrumors 6502a

So... finding a 20$ bill on the sidewalk while there is nobody around is stealing it.

Sure....

Hey is that your 20$ ?

Sir !! wait is that yours ?

Not sure if you guys are serious.

22. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

haha what?

the phone is too easy to find out who owns it, not the same at all

23. CZK macrumors 6502a

Legally its yours.

Considering that there is a passcode and you can't access data without restoring.

Now with the SIM card, i dont know details on what carriers are allowed to tell and what they are not.

Anyways, i would just keep it. Not like you did anything to create that situation that you are in.

24. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

well there is a know glitch to get passed the lockscreen into the address book, that could of been the OPs question not how to i hack it so i can use it

25. CZK macrumors 6502a

yeah right..... This guy took ''hours'' to restore it, you think he was aware of that glitch.

Anyways, there is no point about arguing over moral beliefs. Just gave my opnion.

MikePA..... how old are you ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.