Found iPhone under weird conditions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Andie0104, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Andie0104 macrumors newbie

Okay, so here's what's going on. This morning I was outside cleaning my pool, when near the pump I found an iPhone. No one in my family has an iPhone, so I have no idea who it belongs to and don't know what to do with it now. It has a passcode so I can't call anyone to see who it belongs to either. Also, I am a little weirded out that some stranger's phone was found in my backyard, especially b/c there have been incidents of vandalism in the neighborhood. Any advice on what I should do would be appreciated.

2. reice23 macrumors newbie

i doubt they are gonna come back for it whoever it is.....id sell it

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Try pressing the home button to get the Voice Control screen. Then tell it to "call mom" or "call work".

4. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Take it to the police and let them deal with it.

5. Acronym macrumors 68000

this

you may be able to reach someone who can then contact the owner.

6. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

the police would only take it and sell it or use it for themselves.:(

7. Andie0104 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried what you suggested but it didn't work b/c its in airplane mode. Thx anyway.

8. Lorelai macrumors member

Is there anyway you can call Apple (or the cell provider) with the serial number and get a name? Also, was it still on when you found it? Can't have been lost too long if the battery was still charged. Did you check lost and found on Craigslist?

9. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

if you plug it into itunes, doesnt it say the name of the phone? i know you wont be able to do anything to it because it has passcode but you can at least see whats the name of the phone for a better idea of who it might belongs to.

10. zaxdude macrumors regular

If the phone is jailbroken & has SBSettings installed, access to some setting may still be possible if the owner didn't deactivate the access from the lockscreen.

Have you tried to swipe your finger across the top, starting where the Airplane Mode symbol is and moving to the right toward the battery info? If it's set up to allow it, a drop down menu will appear and you may be able to turn off airplane mode.

Just a thought...may not work at all.

11. EvilShenaniganZ macrumors 6502

EvilShenaniganZ

Sounds like somebody went on your private property, went for a dip in your pool. I say finders keepers. Unless you have pool/yard service done and it could be one of theirs.
    Anyways if somebody came into my yard un welcomed and left something. Yea it's mine now.

12. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Well, I have my doubts if this is a legitimate posting but for the sake of playing I will put forth my 11 and a half cents:

If you do take it to the cops you will likely never see it again. As another poster already indicated, they will find some way to keep it for themselves. Or even worse could occur. A fellow in our town found a phone, turned it in to the cops, and a week later was arrested for "possession of stolen property." His PD told him to plead guilty because his prints were on the phone and that is all that was needed to get a conviction. Due to recent changes in the law, prosecutors no longer have to establish guilt, Mens Rea is almost dead in the water.

Anyway the poor guy now has a felony conviction and can't get a job, all because he "found" a phone. I'm not saying that you didn't find this phone by your pool but let me say that the circumstances that you describe along with your "english" (you say you feel a little "weirded") sound a little strange to me. If you are that paranoid about your neighborhood, buy a gun or get some high resolution cameras put around the perimeter of your house.

As far as getting past the security code on the phone screen, well that's a piece of cake. But please don't ask me privately how to do it. If I were you I would just dig a hole and bury it.

13. Andie0104 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I did do that and it belongs to some dude named Kyle. That's pretty much the only info I got right now. Thx.

----------

Tried it but no such luck. Thx tho.

14. nhamp07 macrumors regular

15. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

16. MagnusF macrumors regular

Restore and use it and think of it as a gift from god :cool:

17. mcdj, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2011

mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

18. Andie0104 thread starter macrumors newbie

Although this wasn't helpful @ least it made me laugh.

19. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

something smells fishy...

20. Andie0104 thread starter macrumors newbie

How so? I did what another poster said and plugged it into itunes. It said "Kyle's phone" so I'm assuming the owner/trespasser's name is Kyle.

21. SomeonePlzHelp macrumors regular

Some kids probably snuck in to your backyard, and skinny dipped in your pool, and this "Kyle" guy left his phone. I'd watch out cause if I was Kyle I would try to sneak back in tonight and find it, instead of knocking on your door and explaining the reason for it being lost back there in the first place.

Just my idea, I know I've snuck in to someones pool before with my ex gf. I would be pissed if I left something on accident.

You could always leave it where you found it and watch tonight to see if he sneaks back in to get it haha

22. iPad-Lover macrumors member

I think you should keep it, you never know this person could have tried to steal something and failed and lost money on a 'heist' - lawl,

I say you should wait a week, if no-one turns up then restore it and sell it.

23. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

I'd ask your daughter if she knows a guy named Kyle...

24. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

There is no way in hell that story is true.

25. Andie0104 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. We've (as in my family and some neighbors) have experienced stuff like slashed tires, knocked over trash cans, etc., so you're probably right about it being some kids.

----------

Umm... I am the daughter lol. I don't know a Kyle and neither does my brother.