Found iPhone w/pass code on

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mchvgs, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Mchvgs macrumors newbie

I just left the movies and found a Iphone. I talk with the manager and left my buisness card, but he had no reports of a lost I phone. It had one missed call and I tryed calling the number but it was just a cruise line so no info on the owner. I'm a good samaritan and just trying to contact the owner, and return the phone. I tryed the double tap feature but it must be set to "home" so I just go back to the passcode screen. I have contacts via work for ATT, but it's fed so I will only do that as a last resort. Can anyone help me out, please contact me if you can. Thanks

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Keep it on for a few hours - I'm sure the owner will call.

If not - Police Dept. or ATT store...

3. WRIGHTRACING macrumors regular

What would happen if you restored it as a new phone???

4. Zcott macrumors 68020

5. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Zcott - while I'm sure you had the best intent, and the OP could have dug this up on his own with a little more digging - did you stop to consider if they actually just found a phone - and it isn't someone using the anonymous card on the internet just to get what they want? (access to someone else's device)

Then again, if there are 5,000 other members who would have replied anyhow. :confused:

6. Mchvgs thread starter macrumors newbie

As responce to the first responce, I am keeping the phone on, and charged waiting for a call. As to the others, thanks but I am just trying to contact the owner. Again if anyone from ATT is on here, or anyone with knowlage, please send me a private message. Thanks.

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I agree to just keep it on ... the owner will call it for sure

BTW ... nice of you, buy yourself a lottery ticket, maybe the karma will bring up the #s

cheers :cool:

8. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Just simply take it to any AT&T Store. /thread.

9. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

He would then have a new phone with nobody able to call it since it would be wiped out.

10. mz100 macrumors regular

Take the sim card out of the phone, if you have a gsm phone pop it in yours and call your house, then you will at least k ow the phone number. Then call ATT and tell them you found a phone and give them the number, they will most likely not give out the info but will contact the owner and he will contact you.

The owner will be amazed he got it back

11. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

FYI AT&T does NOT reunite lost iPhones with owners...more than likely if you bring it to them one of their nefarious employees will keep it...your best bet is waiting for a call...another FYI, most cell users will opt to call the carrier and have service interrupted so if you don't get a call in a day or two assume it's off...

12. LegendKillerUK macrumors 6502

Incorrect. It would maintain the same phone number.

And if another sim was put in, the IMEI could be used to block it.

13. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

this is a good idea UNLESS the service has already been suspended which most owners of lost cell phones are quick to do

14. Hologram777 macrumors member

Hologram777

hopefully the owner had find my iphone turned on...or wait what if its a trap and they track you down and kill you in your sleep! :eek:

but yeah i wouldnt take it to AT&T just hang on to it, if no one calls or it dosnt reset its self from the find my iphone then i guess its yours. and i would do the passcode work around. maybe it was your lucky day

15. tiartrop macrumors regular

Since it's been posted... the bypass code thingy only gives access to phone function not full access, just use that and look for "Mom" or something.

16. JoelTGM macrumors member

good on you for doing that, but if they call won't you still be locked out from accessing it? I don't know, but after reading that I'm going to put a note or something in mine saying "if you find this phone please call me at this number" as a precaution.

17. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The phone number is determined by the SIM, though.

18. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

hold down the home button and wait for voice control. Then call 'home' ;)

19. mz100 macrumors regular

Good call!!
    Didn't even think about that one.

20. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

That is a good idea. You could play some music while you wait, too.

21. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I remember that little trick where you could go through emergency call to get into someones Phone app on the iPhone. After just trying it out again, after a while, I think it may not work anymore on iOS 4.2.1.

22. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

23. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

Do the right thing and call the home and return the phone. Karma will one day repay you for it.

24. firewood macrumors 604

Make sure to give it to a store manager at an Apple or AT&T corporate store. Tell the manager that you're going to email corporate to commend them by name for his/her help returning the iPhone, and that the email will include the lost iPhone's IMEI number.

25. SnowDX macrumors 6502

Does AT&T do IMEI blocking? Even if they did, you could just use the phone on another network.