Found: Johnny Ive's Prototype iPad ;)

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I've discovered Johnny Ive's prototype iPad right here on MR. As you can see, it's a veritable cornucopia of every fanboy's iPad dreams! Especially pizza, lots of pizza. :D

Oddly enough, it was hidden amongst 20 different avatars of these MR members:

Doctor Q, iBlue, Melrose, rdowns, Eraserhead, MacNut, Peace, xChuckX, Cynicalone, iJohnHenry, techfreak85, stridemat, jessica., SilentPanda, Clix Pix, Tomorrow, Joro, Fun173, szark, and Abyssgh0st.

Yesterday, I was browsing the forums and came upon this post by rdowns. I noticed his avatar had changed and it seemed odd, especially given the thread he started. ;)

I began to notice lots of other folks' avatars had also changed so it got me very curious. Turned out it was a puzzle. 20 memebers had pieces of the puzzle in their avatars. I had a bad day at work today so I set out to see if I could put the puzzle together, a much better alternative.

By collecting the pieces I came across, I found the first 7 or 8 fairly easily. Then I started looking for other ones in the PRSI section. I collected a few more here and that's when it got hard. Noticing that many of the avatars were from top posters, I went to Doctor Q's Top 50 Posters Extrapolated thread. This lead me to some more, but I still was about 4 short. I searched for everything I could think of and had no luck. Finally, I bit the bullet and went to the Member list, determined to finish the game by grinding it out. 2000+ members later and recognizing there's some really weird avatars out there... I found it, Abyssgh0st's avatar. It was the final piece of the puzzle.

So that's it. I had lots of fun. Thanks to all of you who participated, it really made my day. It was so much better than work!:)

Attachments

dmr727

macrumors G3
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Oh wow - I was wondering what was going on with all the Demi avatars. Now I know!

Good work!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I am quite impressed, Tilpots! Hats off to you.

Mr. Ive will be so glad when you return his lost iPad. He might even give you a regular one (without all the special features) as a reward.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Wow!

I noticed the changes as well, because I really miss rdowns´ old avatar. :(
I would have never guessed there was a puzzle conspiracy going on though!

Excellent work!!

Mexbearpig

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Here
Wow! I also noticed it but just was too lazy lol. I never would have guessed that Jessicas avatar was part of the puzzle! :eek:

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
So curious, what was the puzzle all about? Just playing games?
Pretty much... nothing really deep and heavy (or sinister)

Builds teamwork, camaraderie and spirit within the demi group

Oh, who am I kidding... they just get bored and do it for laughs

Woof, Woof - Dawg

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Pretty much... nothing really deep and heavy (or sinister)

Builds teamwork, camaraderie and spirit within the demi group

Oh, who am I kidding... they just get bored and do it for laughs

Woof, Woof - Dawg
Cool. I had fun. It was a heck of a lot better than what I was supposed to be doing...