Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nioted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I'm not sure if this has already been posted, i did a search and 0 results. So I was trying to update my 1st gen iphone to 2.0 and pwnaging it so I had to restore it first. I took out my SIM from the 3g iphone and placed it in 1st gen iphone. Once it was restored it I had to activate it again. I went through the process and I guess it thought I was a new customer because it asked my what rate plan I wanted and also how many txt messages. I then and finalized the process. I later took out the SIM and placed it in my 3g iphone and used it as before. I logged into my AT&T account and it said I had the 1st gen iphone and that my plan was $20 for unlimited data and $10 for 1500 sms messages instead of the $30 + $15 for the 3g iphone plan. All I had to do was renew to a new year contract but I dont care since I only renewed it 12 days ago to get the new 3g iphone so no biggie.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I'm not sure if this has already been posted, i did a search and 0 results. So I was trying to update my 1st gen iphone to 2.0 and pwnaging it so I had to restore it first. I took out my SIM from the 3g iphone and placed it in 1st gen iphone. Once it was restored it I had to activate it again. I went through the process and I guess it thought I was a new customer because it asked my what rate plan I wanted and also how many txt messages. I then and finalized the process. I later took out the SIM and placed it in my 3g iphone and used it as before. I logged into my AT&T account and it said I had the 1st gen iphone and that my plan was $20 for unlimited data and $10 for 1500 sms messages instead of the $30 + $15 for the 3g iphone plan. All I had to do was renew to a new year contract but I dont care since I only renewed it 12 days ago to get the new 3g iphone so no biggie.

Does it let you use the 3G network or is it restricted to Edge only?

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City

interesting... keep us updated on your bill

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
Ah, that's pretty good.

It would be cool if you still had the 3G though service to your phone... but now your 3G iPhone only has edge...

ec51

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2008
Ah, that's pretty good.

It would be cool if you still had the 3G though service to your phone... but now your 3G iPhone only has edge...

Haha....where or how did you confirm this?

Not true.....3G is not PLAN specific - it is PHONE specific. My old Razr had 3G, didnt mean I had to pay for a specific plan to connect to it.

I know this because, my friend called before he went to return his 3G that he was switching back to his 1st Gen and was able to use his 3G with 1st Gen plan AND connect to 3G.....the "3G" plan is no different than the 1st Gen plan other than the pricing - its just the new phone that is able to connect to 3G now.

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
I would do this too but now that the 3g iphone is eligible for my corporate discount I pay about the same if not less than before. But it is cool that this works, I kinda wondered about that. One caveat, lets hope they don't catch it and ask you to send the phone back. even if they asked you to pay the non subsidized price on the phone I think it will still be worth it though. Just see what happens, you can always play dumb:rolleyes:

hanschien

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
Houston, TX
I wonder what will happen when you have to restore your iPhone 3G which kicks off the iTunes activation process because your SIM is now activated on the old iPhone plan.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I have two iPhones, one is the first generation with a GoPhone monthly plan ($29 + $20 data plan) and my 3G iPhone with it's normal 3G plan.

I can take the GoPhone sim and put it in the 3G iPhone and still get 3G service on the GoPhone plan.

The only difference is that with a 3G iPhone activation, AT&T is getting all this extra money out if us when in truth, the 3G service is available anyways and all you need is a 3G phone to get 3G service regardless of what plan you are on.

harodude

macrumors regular
May 7, 2007
I have actually tried and succeeded with this exact scenario!

I have 4 iPhone 3G's and they all have the old data plan on them~!

Just got my bill, and ATT shows the regular 20 dollar data package.. WORKS LIKE A CHARM!

ec51

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2008
I wonder what will happen when you have to restore your iPhone 3G which kicks off the iTunes activation process because your SIM is now activated on the old iPhone plan.

Grrr....you SIM is not activated with anything other than your number/account. Your ACCOUNT is what has the specific data plans attached to it. If you had to re-activate/restore your 3G it would just remove the 1st Gen plan and add the new 3G one.

3G is not PLAN specific - it is PHONE specific. My old Razr had 3G, didnt mean I had to pay for a specific plan to connect to it.

Im not sure how I could say it any clearer....

TriHFH

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
it won't make a difference. at&t's system does an IMEI check periodically, and once it sees that you're using an iPhone 3G it will revert you back to the 3G data plan.

or at least that's how i have noticed the system works, from past experience. can anyone confirm?

hanschien

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
Houston, TX
Grrr....you SIM is not activated with anything other than your number/account. Your ACCOUNT is what has the specific data plans attached to it. If you had to re-activate/restore your 3G it would just remove the 1st Gen plan and add the new 3G one.

When I restored my old iPhone with my activated iPhone 3G sim inside it, i didn't get the option to restore from a previous backup and I had to choose an iPhone 2G plan. I would assume the same scenario to happen after restoring an iPhone 3G to be prompted to select a 3G plan.

nioted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I have actually tried and succeeded with this exact scenario!

I have 4 iPhone 3G's and they all have the old data plan on them~!

Just got my bill, and ATT shows the regular 20 dollar data package.. WORKS LIKE A CHARM!

nice you joined to club!! congrats :D

hanschien

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
Houston, TX
nice you joined to club!! congrats :D

Can you try something out for us?

Try restoring the iPhone 3G software and tell us if you're prompted to select a 3G plan.

it won't make a difference. at&t's system does an IMEI check periodically, and once it sees that you're using an iPhone 3G it will revert you back to the 3G data plan.

or at least that's how i have noticed the system works, from past experience. can anyone confirm?

I'm not sure if AT&T can force you to a different plan without you agreeing to a contract.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
How poor are some of you that you will commit crimes to save $10 a month.

Would you walk into the grocery store and stuff 3 lbs of sausage down your pant leg once a month because you could?

ec51

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2008
When I restored my old iPhone with my activated iPhone 3G sim inside it, i didn't get the option to restore from a previous backup and I had to choose an iPhone 2G plan. I would assume the same scenario to happen after restoring an iPhone 3G to be prompted to select a 3G plan.

That's bc iTunes is set up to recognize the serial number of the phone, determine whether is 1st Gen or 2nd Gen and offer the data plans accordingly...

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007

Would you walk into the grocery store and stuff 3 lbs of sausage down your pant leg once a month because you could?

I decided i actually am not going to do this, because your write.

Even though i have 2 iPhones, and the monthly phone bill for 700 minutes is $160...

ec51

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2008
I'm not sure if AT&T can force you to a different plan without you agreeing to a contract.

When you signed that little pad when you bought your phone....that was your contract.

Wellllll...let's do the math:

Its actually an extra $15 a month (based on the 200 text messages for the 3G) and $15/month over a course of 24 months is actually $360 in savings.

And yes to some its worth it, to each their own...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.