Found New, sealed MBP for $900 on Craigslist... help?!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MusicIsLifeMD, Aug 22, 2012.

1. MusicIsLifeMD macrumors newbie

Sorry, didn't want the subject line to be horrendously long.

My blackbook's display is dying and I've been looking for a new/used MBP on Craigslist/Amazon/ebay for under $950, since that is all the money I have. I found one for $900, the box is opened but the computer itself is sealed in the plastic. I wanted to make sure that the seller knew I intended to boot the computer up to make sure it worked properly... however I got an email back from him telling me
    I know this is kind of fishy, and I wrote an email (haven't sent yet, though. Waiting for advice from forum... ) explaining that any buyer he got would/should ask for the same thing. If he is worried about them thinking it was used, that he should explain the situation to them and they should understand.

Is there anything you would suggest I do/say to get it so that this deal goes through and I KNOW that the computer works properly?

He supposedly got the computer as a gift but already has a 17inch MBP and is selling this one to buy something else as it's just taking up space.

The MacBook Pro he's selling is a 2.5 GHz CPU with 500 GB 5400 RPM HARD DRIVE, 4GB RAM Late 2011 model MD313LL/A

Thanks all for your help!

2. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Go for it.

But ONLY meet him in a dark, secluded alley. And it'd be best not to bring your phone. Fewer distractions.

4. jkeekij macrumors regular

^^ +1.....Walk away now. Won't let you test near a 1k purchase, BS. Probably stolen, and the whole "got it as a gift and don't need it" is old and tired and should never be believed.

5. Bauer24 macrumors regular

Agreed. Walk away. If he emails back and changes his mind, come back here and post the response.

6. ann713 macrumors 6502a

7. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

Also note that "factory sealed" when referring to the plastic that surrounds the actual laptop is meaningless. For a long time Apple just used plain plastic with a gum based glue that would readily re-stick. With this wrapping you can reseal the plastic to factory condition several times.

Machines shipping this year have a paper sticker over part of the plastic that is harder to get past without making obvious damage to the paper sticker. (But it is not impossible.)

8. MusicIsLifeMD, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012

MusicIsLifeMD thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all. I sent him an email explaining my concerns, and reminding him that any buyer with a brain (not in those words) should/would want to boot the system up before handing over almost $1000.

I'll definitely post his reply, if I get one.

If I don't... what does everyone think about buying a MBP on eBay? (don't kill me, please!)

I'm looking at this ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBook-Pro-13-3-2-4GHz-Core-i5-4GB-500GB-SuperDrive-WiFi-MD313LL-A-/261086802787?pt=Apple_Laptops&hash=item3cc9fc7363#rpdId ) listing.

9. 725032 Guest

Common sense OP... You know this is wrong

Save your money and buy direct from
    Apple. Perhaps a refurb?

If you cant save enough then perhaps premium Apple isnt for you

10. MusicIsLifeMD thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem isn't that I can't save enough... the problem is that I don't have the time to save it. I need a computer for school (sophomore in college) which starts in 2 weeks...

11. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

For an extra $200 get a new one with a warranty. http://store.apple.com/us-k12/configure/MD101LL/A

12. GLS macrumors 6502

13. 725032 Guest

Then buy a cheaper windows machine

Dont try and cut corners... It will only cost you more in the long run

There are no short cuts OP

14. MusicIsLifeMD thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have an extra $200 just lying around, nor do I have any family members who could lend me $200. Either.

I am however looking at buying a Used MBP from Amazon (Fulfilled by Amazon, sold by Amazon Warehouse Deals). That is still a little over budget, but only by $50 and not $200+ (because buying from Apple incurs a $75 tax).

15. 725032 Guest

I dont understand

You can afford to go 50 over budget but not 200?!

It seems like your setting yourself up for financial problems

16. RUGERMAN macrumors regular

$29

As I write this, there is a MBP i5 for $929 on the refurb Apple site. Full warrantee, Apple Care, good as new. That's where I'd go.

17. MusicIsLifeMD thread starter macrumors newbie

I refuse to buy a Windows machine. I've owned 5 laptops since 2006... the first 4 were windows machines, all of which were dead or dying by the time I got my current BlackBook (with dying display, which is why I'm looking for new one) in 2008.

If I had the money, I'd buy directly from Apple. As it is... I don't/can't.

18. 725032 Guest

If you are not willing to comprimise/adapt to your situation then i fear for your future.

Sometimes you cant always get what you want. Dont lie to yourself

19. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I've had the same Dell laptop for almost 4 years (I use it every day), my wife has had the same Dell for just over 5 years. Sounds like you either bought junk or don't take care of your computers.

20. MusicIsLifeMD thread starter macrumors newbie

I had originally budgeted $900. I have $970 in emergency money/bonds (and no other money anywhere else, as I don't have a job and the little money I do earn through babysitting goes towards car insurance and paying for classes/books.

21. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Over Craig's List... in a heartbeat

22. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

You could sell a kidney, you only need one.:D

23. 725032 Guest

Sounds to me like you cant even afford to buy a 900 machine.

Living costs money

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You don't have a job and you're looking to blow your entire savings on a computer? Maybe you should just buy the computer off CL. This will be lesson one of a lifetime of hard lessons. Eventually you will learn.

I rarely, if ever, really (with any seriousness) try to tell people what to buy or what not to buy but this screams wrong to me on so many levels. Why anyone would sink every penny they have into a computer that carries such a price tag is beyond me. You could easily spend a few hundred on a windows laptop, get a job, and save for a new Mac. I prefer Macs as well but if I needed a laptop for college in 2 weeks and had $970 to spend on a $1000 computer, I'd be buying a windows machine. BTW, "budgets" do not usually entail taking every single penny and putting it towards a laptop.

You're going to do what you're going to do. You're an adult, time to embrace that and make good decisions son.

25. 725032 Guest

I completely agree... This kid needs to grow up fast!