Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryan700

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Canada
I opened my wife's 13" MBP and found a ball bearing size amber plastic bead. Anyone know where it comes from? Is is important? Sorry for the blurry image as my phone doesn't focus that close.
IMG_1245.JPG

Ryan700

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2008
Canada
could it have been in her bag and jammed itself in there?
It's possible. She takes it to work once a month to do inventory. As a side note her display kept turning off the last couple of days which is why I opened it. The rattling has been going on for months. I was worried that something shorted out and was relieved it wasn't a screw. The display shutoff problem? A thick coating of dust on the cooling fan. Glad I caught it before the processor failed.

Jasmynp

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
East Coast, USA
It's possible. She takes it to work once a month to do inventory. As a side note her display kept turning off the last couple of days which is why I opened it. The rattling has been going on for months. I was worried that something shorted out and was relieved it wasn't a screw. The display shutoff problem? A thick coating of dust on the cooling fan. Glad I caught it before the processor failed.

Definitely glad you caught it. Considering how everything's glued down, it's surprising that the case isn't on tighter.

Last edited:

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
It's hard to see how small it really is but could that bead have lodged into the mic jack and into the laptop that way? I can't see how something like that could have got inside unless it was there from the factory.

Reactions: Ryan700

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
it's Timmy's seed!

sell it before they replace him as CEO

I wonder if thats packaging silicon (that is in that fabric-y pouch) with packaging materials?

DocJMB

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2018
IMG_1017.JPG

Just found this old thread today (April 2, 2018)

Mid 2012 MBP 13" - rattle inside - opened up the back and also found an identical tiny plastic bead/ball rolling around loose - easily removed.

I have opened up the back on 2 occasions to upgrade to an SSD and later to replace the HD to CPU Cable.

No idea where this bead might have come from.

Google search found a number of references to this issue but no answer as to where the bead might have come from.

Anyone out there with the answer??

Thanks!

…John

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Looks like some kind of spacer/insulator. Might be some little part that helps with original assembly, maybe to simplify the alignment steps at some point, and that tiny bit comes loose on some units.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Looks like some kind of spacer/insulator. Might be some little part that helps with original assembly, maybe to simplify the alignment steps at some point, and that tiny bit comes loose on some units.
Or a small piece of silica gel which could come from the little moisture removal packets.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Or a small piece of silica gel which could come from the little moisture removal packets.
Maybe --- but aren't the silica gel chunks actually quite soft, and wouldn't make a noticeable sound, compared to something like a piece of glass, or some other, harder piece more like a tiny bit of quartz?

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Maybe --- but aren't the silica gel chunks actually quite soft, and wouldn't make a noticeable sound, compared to something like a piece of glass, or some other, harder piece more like a tiny bit of quartz?
Little plastic beads are also used.

Edit: But yes, I’ve seen those clear packets you’re referring to as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.