Found why the ipad screen bleeds device is to thin. Now with VIDEO.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aibo82, Mar 26, 2011.

1. aibo82, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011

aibo82 macrumors 6502

Hi

Well just had my iPAD a few hours no realy bad screen bleed just a few small spots up up bright.

Now the intresting part if you hold the device in landscape mode and gently twist the device not to cause any damage the spots of bleed will DISAPEAR or show up in another place!

This is my video of me flexing the device:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ_oEvFEjGY

Now I think this is referd presure on the LCD panel from using to much glue and the device being less ridged as it flexes!

Apples mistake here if you look at IFIXIT they mounted the bezel of the LCD Panel with glue to the Digitiser so any referrd presure when stuck to the back plate pushes on the display!

BASICALLY like takeing your finger on a naked lcd screen and pressing the panel around its edge you will see the backlight and make it go funny!

I think all the LCD panels apple have are fine, just that its thin construction and the way its been mounted is putting pressure on the display itself.

If i was apple id replace the glue around the LCD panel with a thiner material or leave it in freespace stuck into the device from the back!

but im just your averrage jo.

Anyway anyone brave enough to twist your ipad a little (it does flex a little) will see the bleed disapear, or show up in diferent places.

;)

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

3. Josh125 macrumors 6502

Josh125

You are simply changing your perspective, nothing is going away or presenting itself new for the matter. There is a video demonstrating this if you look, it's in a review.

4. aibo82, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011

aibo82 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am NOT the whole device flexes so if the backplate is slightly off (buckled) the LCD gets the referd stress through the glue they used to mount it to the digitiser!

The LCD panels ARE FLAWESS! Apples made a ****up in construction!

Anyone knows pressing on an LCD will make it distort! accept the glue is doing this for you!

5. hoofbite macrumors member

Does this mean that if someone had the skill and knowledge, they could take their iPad apart and fix this problem on their own? (since i doubt Apple will).

6. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Very interesting video. Thanks for sharing. Appreciate that. :)

7. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Weird. never would have thought twist my iPad, but sure enough. A twist one way makes it much worse and a twist the other way makes it go away completely. Now, let's all work together and rig up some sort of rubber band system to keep our iPads in a constant twisted state.

8. aibo82 thread starter macrumors 6502

Now steve jobs can say "your twisting it wrong"

Also if you hold the ipad with just your tumb on top in one hand it will change to.

9. rovex macrumors 65816

People, don't even consider doing to this for one minute. By doing this, you are effectively putting pressure on the display and YOU WILL and I say it again YOU WILL invariably finish with stuck pixels or even worse dead pixels.

I did this once and I got multiple stuck pixels on iPad 1

10. MasonH macrumors member

---- Despite the snarky replies over here this has been the most common explanation. In their never ending attempt to get it thinner it is now glued down with uneven force around the edges and this contributes to the bleed.
    You can also press down on the glass around the screen edges to see how it makes the bleed better/worse.

Your explanation mirrors the same reasoning Anandtech had with their review and the mention of screen bleed... so you're in good company;)

11. idunn macrumors 6502

Thank you

Interesting post. Thank you for the research.

Despite some claiming that all LCDs will cause such problems, it is clear from posted pictures and anecdotal reports that the occurrence of this light bleeding is not uniform from unit to unit, therefore in no way possibly normal. Most iPad1s are largely free of such defects; some owning both models report no observable problem with their iPad1, but significant with iPad2. Then, if looking at the many pictures posted one will quickly notice that the position and intensity of these light bleeds is not consistent. Often near the power button, but possible anywhere. Some units shown appear to have a minor problem, and others obviously quite pronounced. Moreover, with such possible disparity on one single screen, with one corner of it maybe dark, somewhere else a bright glowing half orb, how in any way normal, but proof enough of a problem? If portions of a defective screen can be dark at the edges, why not all of it?

Flexing of this iPad2 (which probably not advisable) indicates several things. One, as has been mentioned elsewhere, that the iPad2 may not be built as rigid or well as the iPad1. Also, significantly, that merely the application of pressure or not can decidedly influence any light bleeding. Which would lend some credence to the OP's theory on cause. Maybe not exactly, but it seems to indicate a flaw in Apple's design, if a method or so close a tolerance that proper assembly difficult in the factory. That conjecture.

What is not is that Apple's quality control with at least the iPad2 has slipped. Telling customers that they should wait for glue to dry, etc., suggests releasing a product too early, and in effect allowing their customers to act as the last step in a factory process which should have been all Apple's. But in most cases it seems this glue could dry to eternity and the problem still evident. Solving this issue may either require a re-design by Apple, or closer tolerances adhered to in their assembly.

At minimum, and not too much to ask, that one has a high probability of receiving a defect free product on unwrapping it.

12. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

interesting stuff...

maybe thinner is not better always

13. MasonH macrumors member

---I'll be interested in seeing how Samsung fares with it's even *thinner* tablet.

14. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Found out why the iPad screen bleeds: the device is too thin. ****

15. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Tried it, and it's true. So I guess it's a manufacturing defect...

16. Richard8655 macrumors 6502

This is pretty disturbing, and am glad to have stayed with iPad1. I'm convinced that 2's quality is just not up tp par with 1. Light weight and thinness does not always mean quality and durability.

17. blow45 macrumors 68000

do you have any suggestion on this? Anandtech is imho of course a moronic site, btw, I don't think it does good to the argument to quote anand shrimp. Do THEY have any workarounds for this, because if engineering wise they don't shouldn't they **** and go back to telling us how blazing fast intel cpus (now in every dime a dozen pc) are? Surely if you pinpoint one option of doing things that causes problems you should know of another one (not you, anandtech)?

18. jxr0124 macrumors newbie

My iPad 1 actually has worse light bleed than my iPad 2.....I gave my iPad 1 to my daughter and have looked over them side by side and used them side by side and I must say there is not any discernible difference in the quality of the two products. I for one have been very pleased with my iPad 2 and have no quality issues with it either. The screen on the ipad2 actually looks better than the iPad 1 and there is a very obvious difference in the speed between the two models. I think where this difference is really going to show up is in the apps designed to take advantage of the iPad 2's processor upgrade.

19. maliu macrumors 6502a

May I suggest you all stop twisting your iPads? When I hit my head on a wall it hurts, when I stop it doesn't. Maybe the solution is to make sure you put even pressure on both sides....no tweak no bleed? What do I know....my iPad doesn't bend.

20. foodle macrumors 6502

I stopped my iPad 2 light bleed by hitting the screen 8 times with a ballpeen hammer. 7 times did not work (damn Gorilla Glass), but the 8th whack did the trick. No more light coming from the edges of the LCD. Finally I'm satisfied with my iPad 2. :rolleyes:

This light bleed OCD is ridiculous. But I guess it's the way of MacRumors. Carry on with your obsessing ...

21. MasonH macrumors member

----Ummm... only reason people have even tried this is BECAUSE of the already present light bleed. It simply shows internal pressure on the screen is causing the problem as the light moves along the edge when you do this.

It really doesn't matter as I doubt Apple will change the assembly process to try to minimize the bleed... people may have to learn to live with this.

My touch has a little of this but I'm glad my laptop and desktop do not... it might bug me also:(

22. MasonH macrumors member

---I get it. Anybody that has a concern that you don't care about is being "ridiculous" or obsessed.

Makes perfect sense now :D

23. tkingart macrumors 6502

tkingart

Lovely.

Since Apple is working hard to keep up with demand, and shipping these iPad 2's out before the adhesive has completely set, wouldn't it be possible for Apple's manufacturers to rig some sort of cheap and simple clamps in 4 corners and/or 4 sides to ensure that the adhesive dries evenly? seems like a worthwhile thing to look into.

24. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

OCD is the way of Macrumors, in fact it`s a membership requirement, did you not get the memo?

25. foodle macrumors 6502

Oh, no. I've got my membership card, secret handshake instructions, and MacRumors issued 20x jewelers' loop to look for imperfections in any Apple products. I'm good. :D