Four More TV Execs Join Apple's Video Content Team

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 6, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Four additional veteran executives from the television industry are joining Apple's video content team, according to a new report from Variety.

Former head of current programming at Sony Pictures Kim Rozenfeld is joining Apple as its future head of programming and lead executive on documentary series development. Apple has thus far purchased several music-related documentaries that have aired on Apple Music, including Kygo: Stole the Show and Can't Stop, Won't Stop: A Bad Boy Story.

[​IMG]

Rozenfeld formerly worked with Zack Van Amburg and Jamie Erlicht, two Sony Pictures Television executives who joined Apple in June to lead Apple's video programming efforts. Erlicht and Amburg have produced popular shows like Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, The Crown, and more.

Two additional former Sony employees are joining the video team as development executives. Both Max Aronson and Ali Woodruff also worked with Amburg and Erlicht and will report to the duo at Apple. Aronson previously served as VP of drama development at Sony Pictures Television, while Woodruff was the director of creative affairs.

Rita Cooper Lee, who formerly worked as the WGN America head of publicity is joining Apple to lead communications for the video content unit, and she will report directly to Tom Neumayr. Lee is the second employee to join Apple from WGN America. Former president and general manager of WGN America Matt Cherniss joined Apple earlier in August to help oversee the development of the video unit.

Apple is picking up a lot of talent in the video and television area as it experiments with original content as a way to promote its Apple Music service. The company has launched two shows so far, including Planet of the Apps, a series about app developers pitching ideas to investors, and Carpool Karaoke, a music-based show developed from the Carpool Karaoke segment on The Late Late Show with James Corden.

While Apple's first two shows have been reality shows, the company is said to have bigger content ambitions, with rumors suggesting Apple is pursing deals with A-list talent to create a roster of shows on par with Netflix and Amazon.

Recent rumors suggest Apple is bidding on a "high-profile drama" starring Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon and aiming to get the film distribution rights for the James Bond film franchise.

Article Link: Four More TV Execs Join Apple's Video Content Team

2. busyscott macrumors regular

busyscott

I'll be excited when they put out some good content, so far Apple original stuff has been painful at best.

3. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

Apple should focus on updating their current products in a timely manner rather than wasting resources by delving into new markets. How many years has it been since the last Mac Pro and Mac Mini updates? Come on!

4. Blu Reel macrumors regular

5. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

I see it as growing pains and learning on the job. Just like how the Apple Watch OS has evolved significantly over the years, Apple will find out what sort of content resonates with its viewers and what doesn't and adjust accordingly.

Of course, there is always the possibility that most people might actually like the kind of content Apple puts out, and that it's only a small portion of more vocal users who hate it (and anything else Apple does that doesn't involve a new Mac Pro, by extension).

6. mi7chy macrumors 601

mi7chy

So top heavy when they're serving just a small segment of viewers. At least make the service cross platform to justify all the big wigs.

7. Williesleg macrumors regular

Really miss Steve Jobs.

Can we get one of his kids to run the show? The oldest has got to be almost ready.

I keep going into the Apple Store wishing there was something I'd like to buy.

Same with the App Store and iTunes (which is really hard to find stuff). Podcasts got hijacked by Youtube, no longer relevant. So sad.

8. Blu Reel macrumors regular

While I too am waiting impatiently to see what the new mac pro could be, the sad fact is that Apple's hardware updates are starting to fit more in line with standard accounting amortization life spans and much less than 6 month life span that we all enjoyed in the hey day of the PC revolution.

9. AfroAbel macrumors regular

AfroAbel

I'm sure those TV execs would have done great engineering new Macs...

10. miguelcoma macrumors newbie

Here´s my problem with Apple getting into the content making:

Today's Apple is too vanilla, they would never make anything controversial or not light-hearted. They are too concerned about their image and trying to please all kinds of groups. And to make artful, meaningful content, you usually can´t have that. Can you see Apple producing movies or tv-shows with violence, nudity, drugs, or even strong language? I sure can´t :/

11. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Remember back when we mostly had hardware and software rumors on this site? I remember people used to complain when iPhone came out that there were too many iPhone stories and not enough Mac stories. Little did they know how much more things would change in the future. At least the iPhone is a type of computer. Now we're subjected to entertainment news, political news, car news, and more. I'm not blaming MacRumors—I'm blaming Apple. What is the goal of this? Does Apple making movies improve people's lives any more than WB or Netflix making movies? Apple often says they enter new markets when it makes sense and they can add something to it. What are they adding? How does this enrich consumer experience? Why does Apple need to be in this space right now?

12. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

The best thing they could do would be to shove Eddy Cue's ass out the door. The guy is incompetent at best and downright retarded at worst. He needs to go.

13. jdillings macrumors 68000

I think this will go the way of the Apple Car....Apple will eventually realize they are in way over their head in an area they have no expertise in and will shutter the money pit.

14. KanosWRX macrumors 6502

The future of "TV" is getting darker and darker everyday a new platform comes online with their own distribution model and exclusive content. People can't afford to have Netflix, Hulu, Apple, CBS All Access, HBO Go, etc, etc.. I am sure Apple will make sure their content is only available on iTunes which isn't on any media streaming device out side of Apple TV. So good luck with that Apple... The music industry learned their lesson and adapted to the Internet and sales have been stronger then ever. TV on the other hand is going the exact opposite direction, polarizing their customer base which will surely ensure piracy only becomes more prevalent.

15. mdorais macrumors member

Is anyone really excited about Apple going into this market? I'm really scratching my head over this direction...

It's like they do stuff just so they can check the box: "Yep, we do content too!"

16. Szarky, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017

Szarky macrumors 6502a

You mean not relevant to Apple specifically right? Because if that's what you meant I would agree with you. If you meant for the entire industry then I have to disagree(the content just gets better and better and the volume gets bigger and bigger). iTunes being the bloated mess that it is definitely hasn't helped. Apple is just behind, it's sad and simple. Spotify beat them to the subscription model for music and Audible(and others) beat them to subscriptions for Audiobooks. The "but I like to own my stuff!" people are just a small but vocal crowd meanwhile the majority love the new model: streaming and unlimited.

Quick shout out to Pocket Casts which has been a solid podcast experience. Has gotten me so entrenched in podcasts I've moved onto audiobooks now.

17. iMi macrumors 65816

iMi

I am excited about this for two reasons. One, it shows that Apple indeed remains committed to Apple TV which is good because I already own a lot of movies and shows on that platform. Two, it shows that Apple is also going to continue to develop new devices. I hope to see Apple branded TVs with built-in Apple TV someday. That would be sweet.

18. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

If Apple is to produce their own content it would be on Apple services only, make sense.

19. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Company that started with mailing DVDs - now producing award winning content.

Company that started with selling books online - now producing award winning content.

It's a new age of original content, and Apple can be as successful as anyone, even moreso given their cash resources and what that allows them to do in terms of hiring talent. What they _need_ to do, is green light several shows, that span different interests, demographics, and then bring in some of the incredible talent producing amazing television programming and let them run with it. Hire Judge/Berg, Soderbergh, Neil Marshall, Rian Johnson, give some time to Donald Glover, let Lindelof run with something, or the Duffer Brothers.

20. nexesnex macrumors regular

Why are they hiring so many people from Sony.... Has Sony had many hits recently? Seems like a pretty good payday for some folks that weren't doing great stuff at Sony studio... though, I could also be ugly mistaken. I do hope that the content gets better, and is more entertaining. Oddly enough, I'm kind of excited about the previous hire from WGN. I actually really enjoy Outsiders. It's a different type of TV show.

21. fastasleep macrumors 6502

fastasleep

This sentence just broke my brain.

22. mmm1345 Suspended

mmm1345

Normally I'd agree but some of these are former WGN hires. You don't hire Tom and Rita, if you are going to do vanilla programming. So that goves me some hope.

23. Williesleg macrumors regular

Yeah, podcasts on Apple.
    Their iOS podcast app is horrible, iTunes is bad, and the Apple TV app is crap too. Not to mention they removed any possible way to make podcasts from all Apple apps (remember when it was built into iWeb and GarageBand...). No way at all to monetize. Just look at what's happening to Leo Laporte, so sad.

Yet Youtube, in spite of their active censorship program, has the best experience on any device and has a good (depending on who you talk to) monetization program.

24. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Can you explain why it’s a good idea for Apple to get into the content business? Apple dominated music with iTunes and iPod but they never became a record label. Why now the need to be come Sony?

25. radiology macrumors 6502

radiology

Company that started with selling computers - now producing "planet of the apps" featuring Gwyneth Kate Paltrow and will.i.am.