Four New Lightning Adapters, Higher-Power iPad Power Adapter Coming Today

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 23, 2012.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

9to5Mac has received part numbers, descriptions, and pricing on six new accessories coming later today. The group includes four new Lightning adapters: the previously promised HDMI and VGA adapters as well as Lightning versions of the SD card and USB camera adapters.

[​IMG]
    Also included in the list is a new 12-watt USB power adapter, which appears to be a higher-power version of the 10-watt adapter sold separately for charging iPads. The higher wattage is likely being rolled out to help speed up charging times that have increased significantly with the massive 42.5 watt-hour battery in the third-generation iPad.

Finally, Apple will be launching a new 60-watt MagSafe 2 power adapter, which is undoubtedly for the new 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro. The 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro and the latest MacBook Air were the first machines to move to the thinner MagSafe 2 design earlier this year, but they use 85-watt and 45-watt adapters respectively. The 13-inch non-Retina MacBook Pro uses a 60-watt adapter with the original MagSafe connector, so this new adapter will add a MagSafe 2 compatible adapter at that wattage to the lineup.

Article Link: Four New Lightning Adapters, Higher-Power iPad Power Adapter Coming Today

2. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

WTF?!? VGA adaptor costs twice as much as before? :(

3. Andy-V macrumors 6502

*This* is why Apple will be updating the standard iPad to the lightning port today. Accessories that work on both the small and standard iPad and simply for consistency across their products.

4. monty77 macrumors 6502a

..and they're selling the USB and SD card camera adapters separately too for more than the old kit cost?

5. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

getting robbed!

2-3 week delay for all the new parts too probably

6. monkor macrumors regular

7. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

Why do people like to forget that Apple still sells the iPhone 4, 4s, and iPod Touch 4th?

8. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Well, I'm all for the new ports being consistent. Cut deep now and get it over with. In a few months when everything is no longer using the Dock Connector we'll stop talking about it and enjoy the tiny little Lighting connector that I love so far.

9. bushido Suspended

bushido

i need the iPad charger, its crazy how long it takes to charge right now

10. decimortis macrumors 6502a

decimortis

My wife likes the large adapter. I keep telling her size doesn't matter and the smaller one performs better, but still, she doesn't seem to get as much enjoyment unless the adapter is huge. Not sure, why, that is...

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I wonder if the 12W will still be compatible with the 30 pin iPad 3.

B

12. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

Could be worse, I presume with the new connector it's doing some kind of digital to analog conversion that the old adapter didn't have to do (since the pins were in the 30 pin connector already)?

13. gpat, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012

gpat macrumors 6502a

Disappointment level for the iPad mini is going to skyrocket in the next 5 hours.

14. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Yeah, I could dig on a slightly higher output iPad charger, assuming it would work with a 30 pin device.

Hmm, maybe it needs DA circuits (adding to the cost) where before the 30 pin provided analog out "natively"?

15. nick_elt macrumors 68000

nick_elt

Exactly what I was thinking.

But then again, how much would it cost? ??

16. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

WTF?!? VGA legacy port should have been dropped 5 years ago.

17. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

Tea-Aholic

I do hope that the Lightening to SD card adapter works with the iPhone 5. Judging by history, Apple will probably only make it compatible with the iPad.

18. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

US$19 according to the OP. Must not include a lightning/30 pin USB cable.

B

19. nick_elt, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012

nick_elt macrumors 68000

nick_elt

Yeh silly question. It was staring right in front of me. :p

And to be fair not too expensive either.

20. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

Like you said, 'should'. My school uses VGA projectors, so an adaptor is a must as I often use my iPad for presentations.

No chance of them making the move to HDMI projectors anytime soon.

21. Andy-V macrumors 6502

Not forgotten but fair enough. Consistency across their flagship products.

22. chuckd83 macrumors regular

Some women like the larger adapter, but most will tell you it's how you plug it in. Some will even complain when it's too large. It's just a matter of preference I guess. Just make sure you are using it correctly and the data transferred shouldn't make a difference.

23. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

Any idea how much difference this charger will make to the (iPad3) charging times? It's annoying that it takes so long compared to the older models.
    Lets face it; the iPad and iPad2 took a while, but it was understandable and bearable - the iPad3 is somewhat frustrating in this regard.

I'm even tempted to get one for just a miniscule improvement, despite having probably more chargers than socks these days!

24. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

I thought Sg was all high tech and has all the latest.;)

I find it odd that Apple even get such an adapter out on the market while they themselves have dropped it what, 10+ years ago on their Macs.

Won't make a lot of difference, from 10 Watt to 12 Watt, so ~20% faster.