Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Four New Lightning Adapters, Higher-Power iPad Power Adapter Coming Today

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

9to5Mac has received part numbers, descriptions, and pricing on six new accessories coming later today. The group includes four new Lightning adapters: the previously promised HDMI and VGA adapters as well as Lightning versions of the SD card and USB camera adapters.

Also included in the list is a new 12-watt USB power adapter, which appears to be a higher-power version of the 10-watt adapter sold separately for charging iPads. The higher wattage is likely being rolled out to help speed up charging times that have increased significantly with the massive 42.5 watt-hour battery in the third-generation iPad.

Finally, Apple will be launching a new 60-watt MagSafe 2 power adapter, which is undoubtedly for the new 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro. The 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro and the latest MacBook Air were the first machines to move to the thinner MagSafe 2 design earlier this year, but they use 85-watt and 45-watt adapters respectively. The 13-inch non-Retina MacBook Pro uses a 60-watt adapter with the original MagSafe connector, so this new adapter will add a MagSafe 2 compatible adapter at that wattage to the lineup.

Article Link: Four New Lightning Adapters, Higher-Power iPad Power Adapter Coming Today

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
*This* is why Apple will be updating the standard iPad to the lightning port today. Accessories that work on both the small and standard iPad and simply for consistency across their products.

Comment

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
*This* is why Apple will be updating the standard iPad to the lightning port today. Accessories that work on both the small and standard iPad and simply for consistency across their products.

Why do people like to forget that Apple still sells the iPhone 4, 4s, and iPod Touch 4th?

Comment

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Well, I'm all for the new ports being consistent. Cut deep now and get it over with. In a few months when everything is no longer using the Dock Connector we'll stop talking about it and enjoy the tiny little Lighting connector that I love so far.

Comment

decimortis

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Toronto
My wife likes the large adapter. I keep telling her size doesn't matter and the smaller one performs better, but still, she doesn't seem to get as much enjoyment unless the adapter is huge. Not sure, why, that is...

Comment

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
WTF?!? VGA adaptor costs twice as much as before? :(

Could be worse, I presume with the new connector it's doing some kind of digital to analog conversion that the old adapter didn't have to do (since the pins were in the 30 pin connector already)?

Comment

gpat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Disappointment level for the iPad mini is going to skyrocket in the next 5 hours.

Last edited:
Comment

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Yeah, I could dig on a slightly higher output iPad charger, assuming it would work with a 30 pin device.

WTF?!? VGA adaptor costs twice as much as before? :(

Hmm, maybe it needs DA circuits (adding to the cost) where before the 30 pin provided analog out "natively"?

Comment

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
US$19 according to the OP. Must not include a lightning/30 pin USB cable.

B

Yeh silly question. It was staring right in front of me. :p

And to be fair not too expensive either.

Last edited:
Comment

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
WTF?!? VGA legacy port should have been dropped 5 years ago.

Like you said, 'should'. My school uses VGA projectors, so an adaptor is a must as I often use my iPad for presentations.

No chance of them making the move to HDMI projectors anytime soon.

Comment

chuckd83

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
My wife likes the large adapter. I keep telling her size doesn't matter and the smaller one performs better, but still, she doesn't seem to get as much enjoyment unless the adapter is huge. Not sure, why, that is...

Some women like the larger adapter, but most will tell you it's how you plug it in. Some will even complain when it's too large. It's just a matter of preference I guess. Just make sure you are using it correctly and the data transferred shouldn't make a difference.

Comment

Googlyhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Any idea how much difference this charger will make to the (iPad3) charging times? It's annoying that it takes so long compared to the older models.
Lets face it; the iPad and iPad2 took a while, but it was understandable and bearable - the iPad3 is somewhat frustrating in this regard.

I'm even tempted to get one for just a miniscule improvement, despite having probably more chargers than socks these days!

Comment

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Like you said, 'should'. My school uses VGA projectors, so an adaptor is a must as I often use my iPad for presentations.

No chance of them making the move to HDMI projectors anytime soon.

I thought Sg was all high tech and has all the latest.;)

I find it odd that Apple even get such an adapter out on the market while they themselves have dropped it what, 10+ years ago on their Macs.

Any idea how much difference this charger will make to the (iPad3) charging times? It's annoying that it takes so long compared to the older models.
Lets face it; the iPad and iPad2 took a while, but it was understandable and bearable - the iPad3 is somewhat frustrating in this regard.

I'm even tempted to get one for just a miniscule improvement, despite having probably more chargers than socks these days!

Won't make a lot of difference, from 10 Watt to 12 Watt, so ~20% faster.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.