Four Washington state cops killed

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I just read about this. I agree with you that it seems like a professional hit.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Developments...

Maurice Clemmons, the 37-year-old Tacoma man being sought for questioning in the killing of four Lakewood police officers this morning, has a long criminal record punctuated by violence, erratic behavior and concerns about his mental health.

Nine years ago, then-Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee granted clemency to Clemmons, commuting his lengthy prison sentence over the protestations of prosecutors.

"This is the day I've been dreading for a long time," Larry Jegley, prosecuting attorney for Arkansas' Pulaski County said Sunday night when informed that Clemmons was being sought in connection to the killings.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2010385617_webmansought29.html

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Well, if that's true, then Huckabee's presidential aspirations are done.
Maybe he doesn't mind.

Mike Huckabee, the former Republican governor from Arkansas who has his own Fox show told Chris Wallace on "Fox News Sunday" that a 2012 presidential bid is "less than likely" and depends on whether Roger Ailes, the head of Fox News, keeps liking his show.

"The reason I wouldn’t is that this Fox gig I’ve got is really wonderful, " he said, talking about whether or not he would get in the race given that he is a GOP front runner according to most recent polls. "Jumping into the pool, you gottta make sure there is some water in it."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/polit...ee_on_rather_he_will_run_in_2012.html?showall

Anyway, politics aside, the man sought is still a suspect. Innocent till proven guilty.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Within minutes of the first 911 call, hundreds of investigators and police were rushing to the scene. Roads were blocked in the vicinity of the attack.
I don't mean to belittle this tragic event in any way, although it's sad that police officers are treated above the normal US citizen. You wouldn't have this many cops and investigators if there were four average citizens shot and killed in the same way. Although I do hope that the murderer is caught and prosecuted, killing is unforgivable.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I don't mean to belittle this tragic event in any way, although it's sad that police officers are treated above the normal US citizen. You wouldn't have this many cops and investigators if there were four average citizens shot and killed in the same way. Although I do hope that the murderer is caught and prosecuted, killing is unforgivable.
Well, if you haven't worked in the law enforcement community it is tuff to describe or explain this. It is not that officers are treated above the normal US citizen. Thnk of it as family, when one goes down everyone shows up, let alone four. I will leave it at that.

It is going to be interesting what Mr. Clemmons has done or why they are looking for him. Last I heard he was a person of interest.

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Yikes. I was just there yesterday...:eek:

Also, there's no excuse for the suspect not already being in custody for previous offenses.

rebeccamartin

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2009
I read it in the news paper i think it looks like a planned one. i really feel very sorry for them.
proper action should be taken for whoever did this and the people behind it.

PolySciSurfer

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
California
They are people just like you and me.
Only they're not like you and me. They can beat people, shoot people, and taze people at will. They are the only ones in the criminal justice system that have the power to take your life without a jury trial. It's to easy to be a cop. No degree required. Last time I checked, power/guns/and authority do not mix well with lack of education.

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2009
Anyone else playing the numbers 4-37-39-40-42 - 29 in the mega millions or powerball?

4 police, aged 37, 39, 40 and 42, shot on the 29th of the month.

I just thought it would be interesting if someone won with that set of numbers.

rebeccamartin

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2009
Anyone else playing the numbers 4-37-39-40-42 - 29 in the mega millions or powerball?

4 police, aged 37, 39, 40 and 42, shot on the 29th of the month.

I just thought it would be interesting if someone won with that set of numbers.
my god it looks like a game. i dont know how you related like this. i just cant figure out what you trying to say.

war eagle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Only they're not like you and me. They can beat people, shoot people, and taze people at will. They are the only ones in the criminal justice system that have the power to take your life without a jury trial. It's to easy to be a cop. No degree required. Last time I checked, power/guns/and authority do not mix well with lack of education.
I've seen police prosecuted just like i've seen criminals slip through the cracks as well. What's your point? The judicial system has flaws,so you're going to hate every cop because of what only a few of them do? All cops are not bad cops.

agkm800

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
I only hate traffic cops especially ones who had gave me expensive tickets.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Do you paint everyone with such a broad brush? I don't have a lot of love lost for cops or the justice system as a whole but I try to keep perspective. :confused:
I myself have experienced plenty of bad things without tarring entire groups with the same brush as those who wronged me. That sort of crap wears a person down. A grudge is a heavy load to carry.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Seattle police kill suspect in officer slayings

The man suspected of gunning down four police officers in a suburban coffee shop was shot and killed by Seattle police early Tuesday, a sheriff's spokesman said. Three other people were arrested for allegedly helping him elude authorities during a massive two-day manhunt.

Maurice Clemmons was shot to death in a working-class south Seattle neighborhood after police tracked him down using possible hiding spots supplied by Pierce County investigators, said Ed Troyer, a spokesman for the county sheriff. Troyer told Fox News a single officer found Clemmons and shot and killed him. A couple dozen police officers milled around at the scene where Clemmons was apparently shot, shaking hands and patting each other on the back.

Authorities say Clemmons, 37, singled out the Lakewood officers and spared employees and other customers at a coffee shop Sunday morning in Parkland, a Tacoma suburb about 35 miles south of Seattle. He then fled, but not before he was apparently shot in the torso by one of the dying officers.

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/ne...ill_suspect_in_officer_slayings.php?ref=fpblg

Gregg2

macrumors 603
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Waiting for details...
I hope the officer acted in self-defense, or to protect others. If not, the suspect should have been taken into custody. I'm sure the incident will be investigated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.