Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Most bold, courageous and innovative move we've seen today.

How long have you been holding on to that gem for?
[doublepost=1553551170][/doublepost]
The name change is appropriate given the capabilities but I think the business move Apple should have made as an armchair quarter back would be to show investors they truly give a crap about growing services revenue would be to:

Make the 1080P Box $49, 4K Box, $99 for anyone who signs up for AppleTV+ for one year and maybe they will do this but if AppleTV the box is a hobby and the service is what they want to boast to investors, they need to move more units.

As an investor I would not be supportive of this proposal given that Apple has no problem moving Apple TVs, and the new services will spur additional sales of Apple TVs. Might as well be discounting bottled water in the Sahara Desert.

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
I can't believe they're still charging $150 for a non-4K ATV, that's absurd.

I can't believe people are decrying prices as absurd when it's clear that there is more than ample demand to justify the pricing. That you can't afford something doesn't make it absurd.
[doublepost=1553551310][/doublepost]
It would be nice if they updated the hardware, the chip is already 4.5 years old.

And the chip isn't fast enough to stream TV shows?
[doublepost=1553551389][/doublepost]
Can't compete with the better and more versatile $50 Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K that has been on sale for as low as $35. This is the current industry benchmark and I've had HTPC, Nvidia Shield TV, Apple TV, Android TV, SBCs, etc.

Pretty sure Apple isn't interested in competing with Amazon Fire, regardless of its benchmark status in your eyes.
[doublepost=1553551483][/doublepost]
I returned mine when I realized that Apple is not going to invest in new hardware and instead will make an app that most TV manufacturers will just put in their Smart TV OS. They listed quite a few that are on board with this. I recall somebody here saying that would never happen.

You must have inside information the rest of us don't have access to.
[doublepost=1553551521][/doublepost]
That's the Apple way. They still sell a 5 year old Mac Pro starting at $3,000.

Pretty sure everything Apple sells is new in the box.
[doublepost=1553551813][/doublepost]
I’ve been cautious with anything Apple since 2012 because you know that you’re paying at least 33% Appletax with lock-in.

Gone are the days you happily bought Apple stuff for knowing they bring you a good experience and worth the price. It’s definitely gone :(

People have been throwing around the "Apple Tax" complaints since before the good old days you claimed existed in 2012. Before you assemble your rebuttal, people also complained about the quality and innovation back then so save yourself the carpal tunnel.

15 inch macbook pro high res vs standard

Last edited:
Reactions: 2010mini

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
I have a 4th Gen ATV. Evidently I haven't been using it correctly because I still like mine. I also have a Roku, but I had timing problems with speech and video and I've quit using it.

I am not a heavy tv watcher, I don't subscribe to any premium channels on my Dish, so I'm probably not a good standard to judge the ease, quality or value of anyones service. My ATV has done what little I've asked of it with few problems and I'm not unhappy. Too little 4K is reliably available to me, OTA doesn't have any 4k and internet is too flakey to support it at my house, evidently. Someday I might get a 4k TV, but probably not this year. I have no choice in my ISP-other than options that are worse than what I currently have- and I see no reason to spend money on something I may be able to use only a handful of times in the next 2 years because of where I live. So no 4k TV and no 4k streaming device until I can actually use it on a daily basis.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Whew. (That's the sound of ATV4 users breathing a sigh of relief; the rebrand means ongoing support for a while longer. Those who got them free from DTV Now probably exhaled twice from extra joy.)

YT 4K video on ATV is a casualty in the VP9/HEVC turf battle.

Yup definitely feeling better knowing my ATV4 will be supported a while longer. I have no real desire to upgrade to a 4K TV and this means I get more for my (admittedly too much) money from the ATV4 I bought in 2015.

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
I have a 4th Gen ATV. Evidently I haven't been using it correctly because I still like mine. I also have a Roku, but I had timing problems with speech and video and I've quit using it.

I am not a heavy tv watcher, I don't subscribe to any premium channels on my Dish, so I'm probably not a good standard to judge the ease, quality or value of anyone's service. My ATV has done what little I've asked of it with few problems and I'm not unhappy. Too little 4K is reliably available to me, OTA doesn't have any 4k and internet is too flakey to support it at my house, evidently. Someday I might get a 4k TV, but probably not this year. I have no choice in my ISP-other than options that are worse than what I currently have- and I see no reason to spend money on something I may be able to use only a handful of times in the next 2 years because of where I live. So no 4k TV and no 4k streaming device until I can actually use it on a daily basis.

Let's say your cat pees on your apple tv, and after burying it, you decide you need another apple tv. Would you even remotely consider saving $30 and getting a non-4K one? I can't believe anyone would. If $30 was that dear, they need to get one of the other streamers.

Reactions: sjjones

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
Since when has the 4th gen version come with the newer remote. My Apple TV HD’s remote doesn’t have the white ring around the menu button.

Since they released the ATV 4K back in 2017.
[doublepost=1553554178][/doublepost]
It's all 720p/1080p content anyhow

Nonsense. I can view 8K60p content on my LG OLED and it looks glorious. Youtube also has HDR10 videos. If you haven't seen this stuff yet, I highly suggest you get a new TV this year. 4K HDR is the new standard going forward and it's ready for primetime.

smaffei

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
I'm thinking that Apple, in order to get help from Roku and Amazon, had to promise to not price compete with Roku and Fire TV devices. Regardless, Apple TV is not going to be around much longer.

fredrik9

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2018
Sweden
Since when has the 4th gen version come with the newer remote. My Apple TV HD’s remote doesn’t have the white ring around the menu button.

At least since 2017. I bought my ATV4 in 2015, no white ring. My parents bought the ATV4 in 2017, with the white ring and a couple of friends too, I thought they just happened to buy the 4K ATV but apparently the old remote has been discontinued for ATV4 as well.

Last edited:

fredrik9

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2018
Sweden
Since now. It's part of the rebranding. This picture is directly off the new Apple product page.

P.S. You don't have an Apple TV HD unless you bought it like 5 minutes ago.

No ATV4s has been delivered with the white ring remote since at least 2017. Now you know.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Since they released the ATV 4K back in 2017.
[doublepost=1553554178][/doublepost]

Nonsense. I can view 8K60p content on my LG OLED and it looks glorious. Youtube also has HDR10 videos. If you haven't seen this stuff yet, I highly suggest you get a new TV this year. 4K HDR is the new standard going forward and it's ready for primetime.

Please read what I wrote originally.
I’m talking about YTTV.

YouTube TV

Their streaming TV service.

Not normal YouTube
[doublepost=1553555852][/doublepost]
There are a lot of 4K and even 8K content on YouTube. Just limited to 1080p on Apple TV 4K without VP9 codec support.

Please read what I originally wrote and you’re responding to.

I’m talking about YouTubeTV

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Tried the ATV4 and hated it...especially the remote.
Perfectly happy continuing on with my ATV2 and my old fashioned "dumb" remote :D

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
Apple TV is now "unofficially" a dead platform since it now longer will have anything unique to offer (access to Apple's ecosystem).
From what I’ve read, it’s better suited to extend Homekit than e.g. an iPad, due to better BT range. Still on the fence, but currently that’d be the only reason for me to get an AppleTV (4K). For everything else I use other platforms or my AppleTV 3rd gen.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I can't believe people are decrying prices as absurd when it's clear that there is more than ample demand to justify the pricing. That you can't afford something doesn't make it absurd.
First of all, I've bought well over $50K in Apple gear over the years, and last year I dropped $2500 on an OLED tv. I can afford it (and I have an ATV 4K). It doesn't make it any less absurd.

Second, how are you defining "more than ample demand"? It's interesting you replied "You must have inside information the rest of us don't have access to" to another poster because how do you know how many units of ATV Apple has/is selling? They don't publish that information. Who's to say they couldn't sell a lot more of them at a reduced price? I'm not saying give them away for free but basically it's 4 year old tech without a price reduction.

You can also try to justify Apple selling 2013-era Mac Pros for $3,000 and up but most of the world sees it as ridiculous. I have a 12-core model with 64 GB RAM on my desk at work and it's an absolute pig for performing today's tasks, it sometimes even struggles with simple ones. I don't mind paying top dollar for cutting edge products, and I often do. But it's crazy to ask people to pay new prices for 4,5,6 year old tech and that is what Apple is doing.

Good luck to them, they can charge whatever they like, but I think a lot of people will look elsewhere when faced with that choice and that can't be good for them, especially now that they're trying to get people on board to watch Apple-produced content.

Reactions: decypher44
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.