fourth repair coming up, swap denied, for now. need tips

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xemino, Feb 7, 2011.

  1. xemino Guest

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2009
    #1
    hey people,

    i need some advice if i should bring my mbp to repair now, or wait until the new macbook pros.

    the tier 2 apple rep just called and said they won't swap my mbp 5.3 (2.6ghz, 4gb) for now. he evaluated my repair history over the weekend and said he's sorry, but i gotta bring it in once more, cause i only had two big repairs, if it happend to be another big repair, they gonna send me a new one.

    i had two logic board swaps, one due to failed keyboard backlight, the second due to screen backlight failure. then my super drive failed ->swap. and now i'm finally bringing it in again because the audio out is too big, the cables aren't sticking. if i touch it, it goes out.

    i'm happy w/ my mbp, but the hardware failures are annoying. the thing i really want the most is a ssd. the automatic switching between the graphic cards is very sweet too. other then that, i'd like a mbp w/o a super drive and more battery/smaller case instead.

    which brings me back to the original question, should i get the annoying fault fixed now and possibly risk getting the swap approved but the current generation shipped?
    or should i sit tight and go to repair after the new ones are announced?

    thanks for helping <3
     
  2. greytmom macrumors 68040

    greytmom

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2010
    #2
    Didn't you say they are telling you that you have to have it repaired one more time before they would consider swapping it?

    If that's the case, doesn't matter when you do this repair. It would be the NEXT failure that matters.

    Beats me if they'd upgrade you or not, in the event you do need another repair after this one. But, it's worth waiting for the new version just in case.
     
  3. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #3
    Even if you wait there's no guarantee or real reason for them to upgrade you, unless you get a generous customer support rep. They'll have plenty of old stock available to swap the exact model.
     
  4. matthemercyless macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2006
    Location:
    Hull, UK
    #4
    If you're English, you're covered by the Sale of Goods Act, and you can demand a replacement. It covers you for up to 5 years after a purchase. :)
     
  5. xemino, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011

    xemino thread starter Guest

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2009
    #5
    i should've clarified. i just told em about my loose audio jack, no apple provider actually examined it. hence his answer that i might get a swap, should they have to change something important, like the logic board.

    hmm, if i believe the stories from various people they got a brand new model and not the old one.
    i got a matte screen and a us keyboard (i'm in germany) which are both a BTO options. so i hope i won't get the old one. i mean getting a new one would be a good way to compensate me for the trouble i had...
     
  6. greytmom macrumors 68040

    greytmom

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2010
    #6
    Can you live without your audio jack for a while? If you can, then wait.

    Still might not get a new model, but your chances of getting a new model now are zilch.
     
  7. xemino thread starter Guest

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2009
    #7
    that's what i realized while i wrote my story :)
    i had this fault since the very beginning. i guess i'm gonna wait, hopefully they will ssd's as default feature.
     
  8. walterwhite macrumors 6502

    walterwhite

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2011
    Location:
    South Central PA
    #8
    Two Logic Board Failures and the Super Drive? The Super Drive is a major component. and would be three. Are you near a Store? Talking to a real person, face to face, they may help you further.
     
  9. xemino thread starter Guest

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2009
    #9
    i'm in berlin. oddly we don't have an apple store in our capital, but some other smaller cities :(

    the only option for me is to charme the apple reps over the phone, which i'm good at, i'd say.

    maybe i should let my apple provide take a look and in case that it is something big, call/email the tier 2 rep again.
     

Share This Page