Foxconn Acquires Popular Accessory Maker Belkin Along With Linksys and Wemo

bushman4

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011

Foxconn is best known as an Apple supplier that assembles Apple's devices and supplies components to the Cupertino-based company, but as of today, it's taking over a major Apple acces

One of Belkin's recently introduced wireless charging accessories
The acquisition will allow Foxconn Interconnect Technology to "further tap into premium accessories and the smart home market." The deal is also expected to expand Belkin's presence both in the United States and "key markets globally."Under the Belkin brand, Belkin offers a wide range of iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch cases, cables, adapters, wireless chargers, and more, while the Wemo brand offers HomeKit-compatible home automation devices. Through Linksys, Belkin sells wireless routers and similar accessories, and the Phyn brand offers a smart water assistant for monitoring for leaks.

All of the Belkin-owned brands will continue to operate as subsidiaries under Foxconn Interconnect Technology.

Article Link: Foxconn Acquires Popular Accessory Maker Belkin Along With Linksys and Wemo
[doublepost=1522121619][/doublepost]Question is 'what are Foxconns plans for these companies. Most of their accessories were good hopefully they'll improve.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Of course most electronic devices today are made in China/Taiwan... but now it seems that many networking companies are now owned by Chinese/Taiwanese companies.

Belkin, Linksys, D-Link, TP-Link, etc.

I personally don't have a problem with it... but it's an interesting development.

B4U

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Given the mutual threat from China mainland, I am still a bit worried that Foxconn will be infiltrated or overtaken by the Chinese government.
[doublepost=1522118649][/doublepost]
I just hope its infestation to the other parts of the world could be slowed down or stopped.
Sadly, there is little for any of us to do in order to prevent that from happening.
The world has relied on China too much and from my experience in dealing with them, they gave me the impression that they are not a grateful bunch and will betray anybody without thinking twice.

Reactions: Shirasaki and Huck

daye

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2013
Hope this means my Wemos will finally ALL be HomeKit compatible so I can stop using a raspberry pi workaround to get the bulbs and Maker work. And hopefully Apple will authorize them to make inexpensive listeners like the Echo Dot so I can use Siri around the house without carrying my phone around. Dreams!
[doublepost=1522114529][/doublepost]
They were already all under Belkin. Doesn’t change any competition
Wemo suppots HomeKit now using $39 home bridge. I bought one last month and all my Wemo devices are HomeKit enabled now.

tzm41

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2014
Boston
Sadly, there is little for any of us to do in order to prevent that from happening.
The world has relied on China too much and from my experience in dealing with them, they gave me the impression that they are not a grateful bunch and will betray anybody without thinking twice.
Tell me.. Which country besides your own has been a grateful bunch for you?

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
I wonder if Foxconn will feed future designs into Belkin "accidentally" so Belkin can get a jumpstart on the competition?

Superhai

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2010
A Taiwanese company is also a Chinese company. Taiwan is the somewhat informal name of the Republic of China (the formal name). They just don’t want to be part of the (communist ruled) People’s Republic of China, which informally is referred as “mainland China”.

Also FIT which is the subsidiary who are buying Belkin, has its head office in Hong Kong and registered as a Cayman Island Limited company.

Last edited:

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
Quite a competitive advantage for Belkin. Now they'll be the first with access to iPhone prototoypes and can start designing fitting accessories.

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
A Taiwanese company is also a Chinese company. Taiwan is the somewhat informal name of the Republic of China (the formal name). They just don’t want to be part of the (communist ruled) People’s Republic of China, which informally is referred as “mainland China”.
“Formal” and “informal” names aside, they are 2 separate self-governing governments each with different currencies, presidents, and ties to the US government. So I think it’s a bit simplistic to say a Taiwanese company is also a Chinese company.

Last edited:

NightFox

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Lot of people on here thinking this will lead to lots of new Apple-specific products - just because Foxconn builds stuff for Apple (and for many other companies too) doesn’t mean it has any different a relationship with Apple than Belkin already did.

Reactions: Analog Kid

timber

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
Foxconn is probably now too large, diversified and proficient with specific know how to be set aside but being a contract manufacturer is an harsh business with little value.
As the Imagination Technologies affair shows being set aside can have a tremendous effect. And weren't even a contractor, they provided IP.
So it is more than expected that Foxconn would want to establish a direct relation with customers and go were the margins are. In time they will probably scoop other household brands

netwalker

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2007
So, Foxconn is changing from a electronics contract manufacturing company to end consumer products. Acquired Sharp in 2016 and now Belkin. With Linksys they are now directly competing with Cisco who is among their customers. What's next? Phones, laptops, tablets after they've learned how to build them for years?
Otherwise this acquisition doesn't effect me. I stopped buying Linksys many years ago and mostly had negative experiences with Belkin products.

Last edited:

Kabeyun

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
WiFi routers are hardly national security tech
Not so sure about that. Your access point to the internet and the data that flows through it is very much a national security issue. That’s why the US blocked Qualcomm buying Broadcom (5G cellular).
It is a Taiwanese company.

Meanwhile, I hope they don't get bought out by companies from China. That will really screw up Linksys.
[doublepost=1522118035][/doublepost]
Again, it is a Taiwanese company.
I don’t believe that this is a stable distinction.

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
This not a competitive issue. Foxcom doesn't make the kind of products that Belkin sells.
Whatever else one might have to say about this deal, Foxconn most definitely does make the kind of products Belkin sells. All of them. Those products might not be branded "Foxconn", and they may not have designed them, but the company makes some of virtually every technological device in existence.

In fact, it's fairly likely that Foxconn already manufactured most of what Belkin sells.

Now, there's quite a difference between being a contract manufacturer for half the world's technology and owning the company that produces it, but as Foxconn buys up more companies for the design and licensing end of production (which they're clearly doing more and more), they're positioned to become a Samsung equivalent, if not bigger--not only do they make their own stuff, but most of their competitors' products, too.