Foxconn Begins Seasonal Hiring Spree Ahead of 2018 iPhones

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 24, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple supplier Foxconn is gearing up to hire more workers for its plants in Zhengzhou, China by offering bonuses to workers who help assemble Apple's 2018 iPhones. According to a new report by the Economic Daily News, the supplier is offering one-off bonuses of up to CNY 2,000 (US $295) to workers who renew their contracts at this time (via DigiTimes), and the hiring campaign is expected to last through November 2018.

Suppliers typically begin their hiring sprees in the summer months in preparation for the annual fall iPhone launches, with Foxconn and Pegatron initiating hiring campaigns as early as May in 2016 and June in 2014.

[​IMG]

The report also points back to the "weaker-than-expected" profits that Foxconn received in the fourth quarter of 2017 following the November launch of the iPhone X, believed to be due to the high pre-production costs of the smartphone. In an effort to prevent this from happening again in 2018, the supplier is applying "stricter cost management" to its iPhone production process.

Foxconn is expected to assemble the majority of Apple's three iPhone models coming out later this year, including all of the second-generation iPhone X, 90 percent of the "iPhone X Plus," and 75 percent of the lower-priced 6.1-inch iPhone. This news came in a report by the Taipei Times last month, which claimed that the rest of the 2018 iPhone orders will be fulfilled by Taiwanese manufacturer Pegatron.

News surrounding the ramp-up of iPhone production usually begins around this time of year, with the majority of reports typically hitting in August and focusing on iPhones entering volume production and the supply chain facing shortages. Other Apple suppliers have also been at the center of production ramp-up stories, including TSMC about a month ago when DigiTimes reported that the company has begun commercial production of chips manufactured using its 7-nanometer process, including Apple's A12 processor.

Suppliers are getting ready for what is expected to be a global launch of the 2018 iPhone models this September, following Apple's annual iPhone reveal event. Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes Apple will release all three new iPhones in September with an aggressive pricing strategy: the 6.5-inch OLED iPhone will be priced at $900 to $1,000, the 5.8-inch OLED second-generation iPhone X will be priced at $800 to $900, and the 6.1-inch LCD iPhone will be priced at $600 to $700.

Article Link: Foxconn Begins Seasonal Hiring Spree Ahead of 2018 iPhones

2. newyorksole macrumors 68040

I’m excited to have an X Plus or whatever the heck they’re going to call it.

Can’t believe Summer in the U.S. is almost over.

3. windels macrumors regular

windels

4. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

5. DrJohnnyN macrumors 65816

DrJohnnyN

Whenever I think of this company, I think of the suicides associated with it.

6. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Phrases like this worry me. Whenever I hear "Cost management" it typically means 1. Low level employees get hosed or 2. QC suffers or 3. Materials quality lowers or 4. A combination of all of the above. Mostly 4.

7. TheShadowKnows! macrumors 6502a

TheShadowKnows!

Exactly!

My thoughts as well.
    But not to worry.
    "[Now, with the aggressive pricing] Less than one [half] coffee a day".

8. Jsameds macrumors 68040

The suicide rate at Foxconn is 1/10th of the national average.

9. TheShadowKnows! macrumors 6502a

TheShadowKnows!

It also meant, that Pegatron had to put on their "big boys pants" as production costs of the X escalated, while Apple's lawyers stuck to fixed contractual pricing, providing Pegatron no relief.

10. Freida macrumors 65816

I hope that the "cheap" LCD phone will be cheaper because of only having LCD (and maybe no 3d touch as that thing is gimmick anyway). Seeing that LCD is still superior to OLED then I think this is actually an upgrade.
    If they don't cripple the device further then I might consider upgrading otherwise another year of wait. :)

11. fathergll macrumors 65816

Seriously.... it still seems like yesterday everyone going crazy about news on the X and now we are approaching the next revision. Luckily my 8 is holding up well. I don't see a need to upgrade.

12. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

There’s nearly 2/3 of summer left. And it’s likely these phones will be launched in this season.

13. gwaizai macrumors regular

gwaizai

Oh boy, here we go.
    Batten down the suicide nets!

14. CrazyForCashews macrumors regular

It seems like you haven't even seen an OLED screen.

Both have their pros and cons but at the end of the day OLED screens are superior, period.

15. Guy Clark Suspended

Guy Clark

Lets hope the working and living conditions at Foxconn have vastly improved for the employees. BBC Panorama Apples Broken Promises

16. 78Bandit macrumors 6502a

78Bandit

If the lower end of Ming's predictions are correct I can see getting an X Plus for myself and an X for my wife. That wouldn't be too far off the cost paid for the iPhone 6 Plus we both got at launch. It is time for an upgrade as the phones are quite slow and my wife wants something smaller.

Realistically I bet the prices will be on the high end of the range, if not even higher. I can see $999 for the X Plus, $869 for the X, and $699 for the LCD device.

We'll probably find out in less than two months. Announcement on September 11, preorder on September 14, and delivery on September 21.

17. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

New iPhones are the reason I can tolerate the end of summer break.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 24, 2018 ---
    They installed nets around the dorms and have hotlines for employees to call. So at least Foxconn is doing more than nothing.

18. Guy Clark Suspended

Guy Clark

I do find it disturbing when the Apple consumer attempts to sweep this very serious and sad issue under the carpet where they could not care less about the origins of their shiny new iPhone purchased at an equally shiny Apple boutique. A million miles and a different world away from where and how it was manufactured.
    So they installed safety nets but have the working conditions improved?

19. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

Likely an X Plus for me and a next gen X for my girlfriend. It will nice to see our costs drop a bit and get the upgrade. Looking forward to this release. Hoping for ProMotion, Face ID 2, and software enhancements on the Plus model.

20. picciano macrumors member

Wow! Hiring bonuses...unlimited unpaid overtime...free use of suicide nets. Sounds great.

21. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Why? Pricing new products that low would hurt Apple’s profits. Apple has already proven that people have no problem paying $1000 for a high end iPhone. Hopefully a new iPhone X Plus will allow Apple to push higher to something like $1,199 for the base model X Plus. People will pay it and if anything it keeps the X brand more exclusive. The new LCD model can be priced a little lower.

Aggressive pricing should only be used for older models like the 7 and 8.

22. now i see it macrumors 68030

Buying an iPhone is like buying diamonds, chocolate, heck, even cobalt lithium batteries. They all exist because of the slave labor (essentially) of the poorest people living in the most wretched conditions. That iPhone in your pocket might be pretty, but it's humble beginnings are rooted in misery.

23. MoreRumors? macrumors 6502

MoreRumors?

I, too, think it will be priced at the upper range on all of them.

That probably includes no bathroom breaks and no lunch time.

I'll see what they have in store for the new phones at the announcement. If I do get a new phone, I'll wait a few months to see if there are any complaints/issues.

24. naturalstar macrumors 6502a

naturalstar

If this year’s X Plus comes in at $999, I see some unhappy 2017 X owners coming, but they would also have the option of switching to the newest 5.8” for slightly cheaper as well.

I’m still skeptical that the X Plus will be $999, but I won’t complain if that’s where it comes in. It’s the one I’m getting (pending keynote).

I’m now more believable of the LCD version coming in at $699. I didn’t realize that the model would have a bigger screen than the 8 Plus, but a lower resolution than the 8 Plus. The aluminum, single camera, etc, I knew about all of that, but thought the screen resolution would be same or slightly better, just an LCD. So, $699 it is.

25. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

You mean you think of how the suicide rates are far lower than the national average?
    .... and I'm still going to buy it.