Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macdick

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
iPhone 5

Our productivity has been improving day by day.”
I am glad didnt purchased iPhone5 ! So they learning and first shipment will be not so good. Last week I purchased iphone 4S unlocked insted of iPhone5 and I am happy with it.:)

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
These issues with the iPhone 5 are laughable. How dare they release a product for which they are still learning how to manufacture.

I waited and waited for the iPhone 5, and these quality control issues led me to the Galaxy SIII. Stunning build quality and no regrets.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Tired of Obsession With "Thin"

I would much rather have at a minimum, user replaceable batteries over Apple's obsession with "thin". Pretty soon they will be sued because someone will try shaving with an iDevice and Motorola will sue them for "Razr" infringement.

----------

Uh, they can and do automate many things more precise than an iphone.

Yep, like the Intel chip assembly line....and circuit card assembly lines.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
“It takes time to learn how to make this new device. Practice makes perfect. Our productivity has been improving day by day.”

I guess the first iPhone 5 assembled are not good then...

Lol yeah.....It's like wtf? Thanks a lot. So we should all plan on exchanging our early 5's sometime in the near future? Hope not...

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
It's the increasing creep of 'speaking to' something instead of speaking 'of' or 'about' something. It drives me nuts.

See also: 'Reaching out to' instead of 'contacting'.
Well, "speaks to" is a grammatically correct and perfectly useable construction, but it's been totally misapplied in that sentence.

"Supply shortage speaks to difficulty of iPhone 5 assembly" = full marks.

"Foxconn executive speaks to difficulty of iPhone 5 assembly" is gibberish, it implies that his very existence is an indication of how difficult it is to assemble an iPhone.

Not half as grating as the "could of"/"would of"/"should of"/"might of" epidemic though, that stuff just makes me wanna go Hannibal Lecter.

Does to imply that the early iPhone 5 owners are guinea pigs to check the quality of the phone ? I too have started to believe that the S cycle is one worth upgrading.

Not only guinea pigs for the hardware, but how about having no problems releasing beta software like Siri and Maps...and having the unmitigated gall to call these FEATURES of the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5. We're becoming Apple's beta testers.

I'm starting to become a bit disillusioned with Apple.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
It's the increasing creep of 'speaking to' something instead of speaking 'of' or 'about' something. It drives me nuts.

See also: 'Reaching out to' instead of 'contacting'.

I think you need to "touch base" with Mac Rumors.

Sadly, business-speak is taking over the English language. And it's really nothing more than a grown-up version of bro-speak.

Look at all the people here who say "price point" and "form factors". Those phrases are retarded, objectively speaking. These people are one step away from talking about "synergy" and "monetizing solutions for continued upward revenue streams".

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
If Apple moved their manufacturing back to the USA all these Chinese people would be without a job. What would the rights groups have to say then? As crappy as this job might be it's better than no job/income at all.

Hakone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2011
Southern California
"And for the iPhone 6, we've made it even thinner" :eek:

When will it become thin enough? I can't imagine how much more difficult manufacturing would be as we head to the direction of thinner, lighter, and preserving similar battery life.

SMacDuff

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
Lol, since when is the Sim Card Removal Tool part of an iPhone and included in a tear-down? (in the photo).

With that said, I doubt there are many angelic companies anywhere in the world, be it Apple, Samsung, Nike, Microsoft, Nokia, Ikea...etc...etc...

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
I think you need to "touch base" with Mac Rumors.

Sadly, business-speak is taking over the English language. And it's really nothing more than a grown-up version of bro-speak.

Look at all the people here who say "price point" and "form factors". Those phrases are retarded, objectively speaking. These people are one step away from talking about "synergy" and "monetizing solutions for continued upward revenue streams".

If Apple would just leverage their product lines and increase retention...

NM, just made myself sick

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
Yeah that's not at all accurate. The iPhone's precision and size doesn't allow for automated assembly. If they could make them with machines they would. Apple would be much happier not worrying about labor standards, strikes, and the bad press it gets from its human assembly force.

Uh you couldn't be more wrong...ABB, Fanuc, and Kuka which are the bigger names in the industrial robot manufacturing all have robots which have positional repeatability of .01mm(.0003") or better. Data sheet on an ABB for proof (http://www05.abb.com/global/scot/scot241.nsf/veritydisplay/3bd625bab3c7cae1c1257a0800495fac/$file/ROB0149EN_D_LR.pdf) Keep in mind that is also a 6 axis robot. SCARA robots can be more precise for cheaper due to less axes.

Some parts would likely not even use a robot, they would use a custom designed fixture that would place a part and automatically place screws to a desired torque setting. This piece could be as precise as needed and would easily be paid off due to the number of phones made, but since it is cheaper to pay someone in China to do it...thats why it is done.

Once again, another person that doesn't have any clue what they are talking about.

----------

If Apple moved their manufacturing back to the USA all these Chinese people would be without a job. What would the rights groups have to say then? As crappy as this job might be it's better than no job/income at all.

Thats not how it works in the USA, most make more off their "career" known as welfare than they would off a job like this so why would they actually get off their ass and work to get less money than the government gives them for free?

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
People live in a city next to their factory of employment, work long hours for little pay that affords them a sub-quality standard of living. As I glance at my iPhone 5, I can't help but feel partly responsible. We have lived well before such mobile computing, is it truly necessary to keep up with the Joneses at the cost of such untoward consequences? Playing devils advocate by stating "it could be worse" irks me. How do we know? It's statements such as that which seem to acquiesce our own conscience for our parts in this mess.

I'm sure I'll get stoned with last years 4S's.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
and these quality control issues led me to the Galaxy SIII. Stunning build quality and no regrets.

*snicker*

The Galaxy S III certainly isn't Samsung's strongest phone yet, as we've first heard about the manufacturer getting rid of over 600,000 faulty blue back covers, followed by a number of users discovering small cracks around the camera area of the white variant. Now, however, another weak spot of the phone has been found, with many users reporting cracks on the plastic framing of their devices.

Apparently, cracks have been mostly found on the sides of the phone, or at the bottom.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Gala...continue-users-report-cracked-framing_id32445

Enjoy your plastic phone.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Yeah, totally. I laughed so hard when Nasim did the traditional sarcastic dance.

Inspired writing, probably because the writers could identify. Those guys only have a single day that's entirely dedicated to writing SNL scripts. They pitch ideas on Monday, write on Tuesday, do a table read on Wednesday. On Thursday rehearsals start and they have a final chance to tweak the scripts. Friday, more rehearsals, Saturday it's dress rehearsal and then the live broadcast. The fact that they're able to pull it all off in that short time and that cramped studio is a miracle. But after each show, a bunch of Comic Book Guy clones go online and declare that it was the "worst episode ever". We are so lucky and so spoiled...

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
All the people reading "our productivity has been improving day by day" as "the first few million iPhones are all badly manufactured" really should calm down a bit.

Productivity is a measure of efficiency, not general quality. If someone is becoming more productive it means they are able to produce more in less time (e.g., since I started using a nail gun instead of a hammer my productivity has doubled). It doesn't mean the output is of a higher standard (in fact, sometimes the increase in speed leads to a greater sloppiness - I mean, we all remember what happened when Dudley Moore automated Santa's production line, right? Disaster!), merely that there is more of it.

So, no, this statement does not mean the people who bought iPhones on day one are stuck with less than perfect products. There will always be a higher rate of defects in early run products due to unexpected errors that can be refined out as production continues - basic continuous improvement) but that doesn't mean all early run products will include those defects.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Reminds me vaguely of the movie blood diamonds. It was diamonds there, but electronics here. But the consolation I guess is these workers at Foxconn or whatever seem to be making more money to help their families out. At what cost? Now that's the million dollar question.

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas
Thats not how it works in the USA, most make more off their "career" known as welfare than they would off a job like this so why would they actually get off their ass and work to get less money than the government gives them for free?

Perhaps, not in so many words, but I agree.

Some 3 months ago, I had a 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom, 2 car garage home for rent. Some of the people, whom came to the walk through, asked if I accepted section 8 housing applicants. Not being familiar with the said, I asked about it. Supposedly, section 8 affords a $2,400.00 housing subsidy to qualified applicants, in my area. I was shocked to discover this.

One family argued that my rent (not including first, last, and security deposit) of $2,650.00 would cost them $250.00 out of pocket.

The home was rented (unsubsidized) in a week to a young couple.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
*snicker*

Enjoy your plastic phone.

We have generally believed that anything plastic is worse and anything metal is the best. Its True and False based on the usage and the environment where it is used.

Advantage of plastic(polycarbonate or other variants) is that first of all they are light and next they can absorb more energy when bumped or dropped and not get damaged or scratched easily.

Metal on the other hand is solid but also more prone to transferring the shock to its internal components. Can you imagine walking around with a macbook pro that has a huge dent in the corner? A plastic laptop on the other hand would either break or not.

Apple I think has found a nice balance between being sturdy and the way they designed the frame around various components to absorb the shock more evenly.

Neither one of them is better or worse, it all comes down to personal taste and aesthetics.

No wonder Apple is looking at carbon fiber material lately. It can take more shocks and drops than something made of metal.

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
I'm waiting till mid November to order the phones.

I've now seen three of these phones (invalid sample size I know.) The glass/ceramic pieces on the back are ill-fitting. This, despite Apple's genius method of matching the best pieces available for each individual phone.

Not that it will matter after I slam the thing into a case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.