Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
The suicide nets are earth friendly and made from biodegradable material!

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Be prepared Apple, cause Donald Trump says for every product made in another country and you bring that product into the US he might just pass a legislation to require you to pay a 35% tax.

Makes your ears stand up huh?

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Many other phone manufacturers have their products assembled in poverty stricken countries. Where's the outrage against them? Is it less of an outrage because those phones are cheaper than the iPhone?
No, the "outrage" is specifically against Apple because I own an iPhone and I want its production completed in an ethical manner where offshore employees are paid x10 the amount they get now, < workings hours and overall better treatment and conditions. It's the shiny new campus glass house in Cupertino vs the smog filled work/sleep shacks in Asia and South America. I want Apple to treat all its employees local and extended abroad treated with humanity and decency.

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
I won't pay premium for any indian made apple product.
I just don't want any product made in India.
(no offencs to Indian people)

How could the Indian people take any "offencs" to your statement?

I am sure there will be no hit in quality with an Indian made iPhone. As dampfnudel stated, it wasn't too long ago "made in China" was more often than not regarded as subpar quality and today that's where every iPhone is made.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I know so many people in the US that have lost their jobs because they went to India.

mwd25

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Tempe
Except the iPhone is already expensive for the sake of filling Apple with money. We already pay a premium, can't they do their part?

I almost feel sorry for you. Take heart though, there are a lot of others who think Apple is a combination of benevolence, altruism, and their friend. They don't do what they do because they like you. Apple, like every other company out there, exists to make money. That's not an indictment of Apple. It's a public company with a fiduciary responsibility to make money for it's shareholders. If their products cost more to make, they're going to pass as much of that cost along to customers to maintain and grow as much profit margin as possible.

So far, that philosophy has worked well for them. Would it continue at a higher price? Don't know.

Exactly. I love how people who are the first to jump on Apple, dont live their life the way Apple is supposed to. Im sure everyone buys only made in America when possible, Im sure their car is American made, all the furniture in their home is made by Americans, even if they have to buy a $1000 antique oak table to eat breakfast on. Its worth it right? All fixtures in home are made in USA, all clothes they buy, even if they cant find anything in style and they have to buy 20 year old clothes from goodwill, its better for our neighbors. Grapes on sale for $1 per lb, no no no, they buy the organic for $4 per lb as they are grown locally. Put your own house in order, quit worrying what everyone else is doing.
You want stuff made in USA? Talk to your congressman. Products made in other countries and imported to USA should be taxed like crazy. That is how you protect your workforce, then that product is either made in USA or made in USA product can compete with it in price. Done and done.

Reactions: Thunderhawks

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
The global economy. It's big.

Everyone is arguing about it in this thread, and I know it's not possible given our expectation of wages etc. But to not have manufacturing jobs in North America is a huge problem that needs to be addressed asap. We can't all work at retail outlets.

mwd25

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Tempe
I don't understand. So poor chinese workers have extensive education to assemble idevices whereas the average US high school graduate is too poorly prepared? I think someone at Apple said something along those lines too but it does not make any sense. What they really mean is that it is easier to outsource those low skill jobs to China.

You actually understand perfectly. Have you talked to anyone under the age of 25 lately? The average high school graduate is too poorly prepared to find their way out of a paper bag. They arent given any manufacturing training and what they are taught is a joke, its painful. They cant name the branches of government, cant find major countries on a map or even name all the states. I would fill multiple pages describing how insanely dumb they are. Chinese are in fact given extensive training in manufacturing. They like most other countries have a completely different education system. Germany for example has the equivalent of American high school but they also give students the option to go to a vocational school. So if your not a good student and wont be going to college, you would choose to study auto repair or plumbing or heating/electrician instead of high school. Oh and comparatively, college charges little or no tuition at all. Students usually must prove through examinations that they are qualified to go.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
It's not really greed per say. Most of the parts that make up all electronics are sourced from Asia. Memory, displays, processors, connectors...etc. all these individual parts would have to be shipped to the US for assembly. Which would be insane! it is easier to assemble the final product closer to where it's parts are made. BTW the machines that do a lot of assembly are made in countries like the US and shipped to Asia. It's not a one sided deal.

Stop making sense here!
USA is # 1 and no international or educated thinking please.

The problems to produce electronic items here are so manifold that just saying
produce in USA is downright dumb.

People should read up how many people and engineers are needed to produce millions of electronics.
The amount of engineers alone is not available in the US.

Most manual labor is done by immigrants (many illegal)

Americans would not flock to these jobs. No need to lament.

Why did Apple pick the Mac Pro to be assembled here? Hint: (Not really big numbers)
[doublepost=1462890130][/doublepost]
The global economy. It's big.

Everyone is arguing about it in this thread, and I know it's not possible given our expectation of wages etc. But to not have manufacturing jobs in North America is a huge problem that needs to be addressed asap. We can't all work at retail outlets.

Every employable US citizen has the power to go out, get a better eduction and thus qualify for better jobs and
be willing to do what it takes.

But, very few do this. It's just easier to complain and blame others.
[doublepost=1462890698][/doublepost]
No, the "outrage" is specifically against Apple because I own an iPhone and I want its production completed in an ethical manner where offshore employees are paid x10 the amount they get now, < workings hours and overall better treatment and conditions. It's the shiny new campus glass house in Cupertino vs the smog filled work/sleep shacks in Asia and South America. I want Apple to treat all its employees local and extended abroad treated with humanity and decency.

For starters these are not Apple employees for many reasons.
Can Apple have influence, yes and they do.

It is never smart to apply USA or Western standards to other countries.

Our minimum wage is $ 9 in NY State. Theirs is nowhere near that.
But, their food etc. costs less, so should they all in China be getting $ 9 minimum an hour, when lunch is say $ 2, say even $ 5 per day? Check some other prices, like rent etc.

Smog filled sleep shacks, yeah right. Government should step in if that is a condition for everybody.

How is that Apple's problem?

They are not in the world to right every wrong or get involved in other nations problem.

Apple is a business. The purpose of a business is to make money and as much as possible.

The blue eyed idealistic viewpoint would fast disappear if all the complainers here owned their own company trying to make money.

Last edited:
Reactions: mwd25 and arkitect

Urban Joe

Suspended
Mar 19, 2012
Myth. Only a minority of USA manufacturing plants are unionized. Very unlikely Apple manufacturing employees would be unionized. Almost certain they would not be unionized at first.
[doublepost=1462863694][/doublepost]

Do you really believe that union bosses would turn a blind eye to such a prize as Apple?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Excuse me? I never said Apple was supposed to be a caring company. I said that considering their MASSIVE share of money, they should at least use it to let people in THEIR country develop, instead of forcing poor Chinese people to work at very low rates.
Only low rates by our standards. ;)

And nobody is being forced to do anything. You get consistent results from people who are offered a paying job to support their families and homes.

Or here you get labor unions dictating whatever they want, requiring expenses for employers at every turn, talk about low efficiency.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Chinese workers are making demands for (slightly) higher wages, globalism dictates that it's now time to hightail it out of there and move on to the next fragmented workforce.

Nothing to see here folks....

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Stop making sense here!
USA is # 1 and no international or educated thinking please.

The problems to produce electronic items here are so manifold that just saying
produce in USA is downright dumb.

People should read up how many people and engineers are needed to produce millions of electronics.
The amount of engineers alone is not available in the US.

Most manual labor is done by immigrants (many illegal)

Americans would not flock to these jobs. No need to lament.

Why did Apple pick the Mac Pro to be assembled here? Hint: (Not really big numbers)
[doublepost=1462890130][/doublepost]

Every employable US citizen has the power to go out, get a better eduction and thus qualify for better jobs and
be willing to do what it takes.

But, very few do this. It's just easier to complain and blame others.
[doublepost=1462890698][/doublepost]

For starters these are not Apple employees for many reasons.
Can Apple have influence, yes and they do.

It is never smart to apply USA or Western standards to other countries.

Our minimum wage is $ 9 in NY State. Theirs is nowhere near that.
But, their food etc. costs less, so should they all in China be getting $ 9 minimum an hour, when lunch is say $ 2, say even $ 5 per day? Check some other prices, like rent etc.

Smog filled sleep shacks, yeah right. Government should step in if that is a condition for everybody.

How is that Apple's problem?

They are not in the world to right every wrong or get involved in other nations problem.

Apple is a business. The purpose of a business is to make money and as much as possible.

The blue eyed idealistic viewpoint would fast disappear if all the complainers here owned their own company trying to make money.
You're back, defending the indefensible. Good luck with that. Apple is doing very poorly on some measures including humanity and ethics no matter how much you want to try spinning it otherwise. I can't be bothered getting into a protracted conversation but to say that China Labor Watch are doing a great job looking into the poor standards Apple is engaging in at its offshore factories: http://chinalaborwatch.org

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
You're back, defending the indefensible. Good luck with that. Apple is doing very poorly on some measures including humanity and ethics no matter how much you want to try spinning it otherwise. I can't be bothered getting into a protracted conversation but to say that China Labor Watch are doing a great job looking into the poor standards Apple is engaging in at its offshore factories: http://chinalaborwatch.org

Again, it is not Apple engaging in poor standards or owning offshore factories.

Apple is just more PR sexy to mention and get headlines with. All other companies producing there are using the same factories/owners FoxConn etc.

Why do you want Apple to save the world?

The Chinese government could change whatever is going on there in a heartbeat, if they wanted!

But, guess what they want the money instead.

In case you haven't noticed money drives EVERYTHING! No need to spin anything.
Humanity and ethics will only be observed by any company if it fits within their cost structure.

I am not saying that is right, but it's reality. Businesses have no soul.
[doublepost=1462908373][/doublepost]
Chinese workers are making demands for (slightly) higher wages, globalism dictates that it's now time to hightail it out of there and move on to the next fragmented workforce.

Nothing to see here folks....

Let's add that as long as these and other nations make too many children, there will always be a country/continent to move manual labor to.

I am surprised nobody is in Africa yet ! Maybe political instability and too many voodoo issues?

Reactions: mwd25

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Again, it is not Apple engaging in poor standards or owning offshore factories.

Apple is just more PR sexy to mention and get headlines with. All other companies producing there are using the same factories/owners FoxConn etc.

Why do you want Apple to save the world?

The Chinese government could change whatever is going on there in a heartbeat, if they wanted!

But, guess what they want the money instead.

In case you haven't noticed money drives EVERYTHING! No need to spin anything.
Humanity and ethics will only be observed by any company if it fits within their cost structure.

I am not saying that is right, but it's reality. Businesses have no soul.
Money doesn't drive everything, it might in your own home, but not in mine. I want Apple to at a very minimum stop abusing and exploiting parts of the world. It's completely unnecessary to do so.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Let's add that as long as these and other nations make too many children, there will always be a country/continent to move manual labor to.

I am surprised nobody is in Africa yet ! Maybe political instability and too many voodoo issues?
The Chinese have been investing billions in infrastructure on the continent. You have to have the infrastructure to move goods before you can build factories. Give it some time.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Money doesn't drive everything, it might in your own home, but not in mine. I want Apple to at a very minimum stop abusing and exploiting parts of the world. It's completely unnecessary to do so.

I guess we disagree. What you call abuse is Foxconn giving jobs at pre-vailing wages.

and Apple is (one of) their customers

macs4nw

macrumors 601
.....Many folks are quick to point to the industrial revolution in the first world that we had to go through. That was in the mid-1800s and we all agreed it wasn't proper. It's now the year 2016, not only in the first world but the third world too. We have amassed vastly more resources and capabilities since then and there has to be a better way beyond the sole interests of the shareholders.

I do think things will improve eventually though. Flame away lol
No flaming from these quarters. Money, and our lust for it, really does ruin everything. While on the one hand our desire for money and worldly possessions drives humankind forward, at the same time our collective greed is ruining society as well.

It increasingly seems we all want to do as little as possible, for as much money as we can get away with. Something has got to give. The rate we're going at is unsustainable. To varying degrees, we're all guilty.

I've often mused, if only there was no human greed, would we as a society, be better off overall, or is that merely simplistic wishful thinking? One thing seems clear: such a utopian existence could certainly clear up a lot of the human misery the world presently endures on account of our excesses.

Perhaps one day we'll 'wake up', but I suspect it will take major or even cataclysmic upheaval to bring us to that turning point.

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
So did Motorola import workers from China to make the Moto X?

motorolatexas-7_560.jpg

50 million Moto X weren't even sold that year, let alone that being a down quarter.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
I really wish businesses like Apple stopped making their products using cheap labour and actually helped with making jobs in the US and other developed countries. Such greediness.
Tell your State Senators to quit taxing foreign income and provide incentives to bring profits home rather than invest them abroad.

The iPhone factory is heavily automated and labor is not the major reason they are manufactured abroad.

mwd25

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Tempe

Oh jeez, come on. Obviously thats not what poster meant. Money doesnt drive monks lives in Tibet either. You can always find a anomaly in any statement someone makes. When someone says something like money drives everything, they mean its the main driving force in the world and in most peoples lives. If its not in your home, you either arent being honest, dont even know it does, or someone else is supporting you. You dont have rent or mortgage, you dont need food, you dont need electricity? How about internet service? You see, everyone that takes care of themselves, spends the majority of their day working to make money, so they can pay for the things they want in life. Why? Because the world economy is based on money. Of course, if you have someone in your life doing the working and paying of bills while you lounge around (i say if) then its understandable why money doesnt drive your life. For the rest of the working world though.......

Reactions: Thunderhawks

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Oh jeez, come on. Obviously thats not what poster meant. Money doesnt drive monks lives in Tibet either. You can always find a anomaly in any statement someone makes. When someone says something like money drives everything, they mean its the main driving force in the world and in most peoples lives. If its not in your home, you either arent being honest, dont even know it does, or someone else is supporting you. You dont have rent or mortgage, you dont need food, you dont need electricity? How about internet service? You see, everyone that takes care of themselves, spends the majority of their day working to make money, so they can pay for the things they want in life. Why? Because the world economy is based on money. Of course, if you have someone in your life doing the working and paying of bills while you lounge around (i say if) then its understandable why money doesnt drive your life. For the rest of the working world though.......

Thank you, exactly what I meant:) Problem is not even the money it's the the greed that comes with it . See post above , well said.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.