Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shackss

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2015
So this started to happen since I installed High Sierra and I can't figure it out what might be causing it. I'm hoping someone here can guide me where to look for.

I'm getting huge FPS drops on moving windows around, applications behave like crap, wired mouse starts to lag.
This is a recording where you can see the FPS drops when moving a windows around:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g3i9tumxpyo19cu/fps_drop.mov?dl=0

My WindowServer and kernel_task processes also have high CPU usage. I saw other members have a high memory usage, not the case for me.

Tried resetting PRAM, SMC, but it doesn't work. This happens after a while of using the computer and it's fixable with a restart. I'm getting tired of how many restarts I already did.

Can please someone tell me where to look for with this? Tried booting in safe mode, there is no difference. I need some logs or something to look for, but I don't know where.

Stq

macrumors member
May 1, 2016
Do you have Night Shift enabled?

I had similar frame drops and high kernel_task CPU usage after upgrading to HS and tried every diagnostics I could think of in vain until one day I just noticed that it always happened around the same time of the day and fixed itself after an hour or so.

It turns out that it’s caused by the transition when Night Shift is turning on or off. When it’s fully on there is no issue. I just disabled the automatic switch and turn it on or off manually.

bhatiak

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2017
So this started to happen since I installed High Sierra and I can't figure it out what might be causing it. I'm hoping someone here can guide me where to look for.

I'm getting huge FPS drops on moving windows around, applications behave like crap, wired mouse starts to lag.
This is a recording where you can see the FPS drops when moving a windows around:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g3i9tumxpyo19cu/fps_drop.mov?dl=0

My WindowServer and kernel_task processes also have high CPU usage. I saw other members have a high memory usage, not the case for me.

Tried resetting PRAM, SMC, but it doesn't work. This happens after a while of using the computer and it's fixable with a restart. I'm getting tired of how many restarts I already did.

Can please someone tell me where to look for with this? Tried booting in safe mode, there is no difference. I need some logs or something to look for, but I don't know where.

I have the same issue - 256gb/16gb 2017 nTB. Randomly, my kernel task will jump to 35-45% usage and I wont even be doing all that much. My window server will jump to 15-25% as well. Can last between 15 to 30 minutes. Havent been able to figure out what the cause is. Everything gets super stuttery/laggy and feels awful. I reset SMC/NVRAM and reformatted and nothing helped. Will likely go to the apple store and have them repair it or something. In the meantime, I'll try the other guys suggestion about night mode - which I do have on...
[doublepost=1512252203][/doublepost]
Do you have Night Shift enabled?

I had similar frame drops and high kernel_task CPU usage after upgrading to HS and tried every diagnostics I could think of in vain until one day I just noticed that it always happened around the same time of the day and fixed itself after an hour or so.

It turns out that it’s caused by the transition when Night Shift is turning on or off. When it’s fully on there is no issue. I just disabled the automatic switch and turn it on or off manually.

Going to try this...really hoping its the case haha!

Edit: Just turned off the "auto" feature and turned it on manually. My kernel task immediately dropped from 50% to 4%. I really hope this is the fix I've been looking for - been plagued with this issue since October.

Shackss

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2015
Well there are plenty more other with a similar problem. I've subscribed to this thread on Apple forums and I get daily 4-5 posts of people complaining and appearing out of thin air. I guess I know from now on, I will update BEFORE the next OS is released. The root problem and this one with graphical issues really makes me disappointed of Apple.

Also, please let me know if Night Shift is the issue, there are plenty other suggestions on Apple forums I tried and still not worked.

bhatiak

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2017
Well there are plenty more other with a similar problem. I've subscribed to this thread on Apple forums and I get daily 4-5 posts of people complaining and appearing out of thin air. I guess I know from now on, I will update BEFORE the next OS is released. The root problem and this one with graphical issues really makes me disappointed of Apple.

Also, please let me know if Night Shift is the issue, there are plenty other suggestions on Apple forums I tried and still not worked.

So, the minute I turned night shift off, my kernel_task CPU usage dropped from 50% to 3%...It very well may have been the issue...Will have to see if it happens again.

bhatiak

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2017

So, its been about a week - and I havent had that lag issue at all since I turned off auto-night shift.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.