Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vinyls

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
Northampton
how is it? while browsing the mouse seems a tiny bit jumpy.. can you notice it while gaming on games such as fallout 3? maybe im using the mouse on a bad surface.. mainly books and notepads :p

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
how is it? while browsing the mouse seems a tiny bit jumpy.. can you notice it while gaming on games such as fallout 3? maybe im using the mouse on a bad surface.. mainly books and notepads :p

I used to use a wireless MM for playing halo:CE without a problem. I'm not a competitive gamer though. I'm the guy that scoffs at high resolution sensors and 9 buttons in mice.

Years later now I built a desk (MDF surface) and I can't use it on this surface. The tracking is horrible. I bought a wired logitech MarbleMouse (don't buy without trying, most people don't like trackballs, but I LOVE it).

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
California
my only problem was playing as a Heavy in TF2. If you hold down the "right button" to spin up your gun, you can't then click the "left button" while the right is pressed down. It won't recognize the left click at all.

Oh and forget about using the scroll ball to change weapons like on a normal mouse, since there are no "clicks" it is frustrating.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
my only problem was playing as a Heavy in TF2. If you hold down the "right button" to spin up your gun, you can't then click the "left button" while the right is pressed down. It won't recognize the left click at all.

Oh and forget about using the scroll ball to change weapons like on a normal mouse, since there are no "clicks" it is frustrating.

Yeah that's a good point. The MM is actually a one button mouse, with sensors under the left finger, right finger, and the scroll ball to figure out which button you mean to click when you click the one button. Cool idea, but no good if you want to use more than one button at once.

If you can, turn down the sensitivity on the scroll ball so you change weapons slower. Or use your left hand pinky on tab like a real gamer.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
It's pretty much unusable for something quick like UT. There are situations when you need to quickly press, say, the left mouse button after pressing the right mouse button, and that's pretty much impossible.

Ol3s

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2008
L'viv, Ukraine
I find playing fps on my aluminium macbook easy with the touchpad but ofcourse there is the same problem with the left and right buttons.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
I find playing fps on my aluminium macbook easy with the touchpad but ofcourse there is the same problem with the left and right buttons.

You're joking right?

You know that FPS stands for First Person Shooter don't you?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

The mighty mouse is not made for gaming, at least anything that requires left and right clicks simo or in rapid succession. I'm hooked on trackballs. Mostly I use the MS Trackball Explorer which has been discontinued, and I have a Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman. I prefer not moving my forearm all over when engaged. :)

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.

The Mighty Mouse sucks for gaming, and the reason for that is very simple: You cannot press the left and the right mouse button simultaneously, it won't recognize it. The problem with that is that many games require this feature (for example, to use a sniper scope with the right button and then fire with the left one).

But a Microsoft Mouse. Or even better: An Xbox 360. ;-)

aluminumapple

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
i pretty much agree with a lot of posts here.. overall it is a bad gaming mouse. Mostly because of the fact the mighty mouse is only made with a one shell, while it is good for doing other things other mouses that have Divided through middle made it easier for certain people to use because some times the mighty mouse registers a left click for a right click. it messed me up in cod 4 and wc3 and other rts games as far as i can remember..

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
... Horrible. Just plain unusable.

• The whole "let go of right to use the left button" thing is a nightmare and possibly the most monumental design flaw ever in an electronic.
  • The lag. I've used other BT mice but this takes the biscuit as far as lag is concerned, again, unusable.
  • The wheel clogs up and doesn't give physical feedback like a real mouse wheel does.
  • Ergonomics? Nope.
  • Weight, lack of glide and acceleration, battery life.

Just about the only thing they did get right was the laser position. It's not a gaming mouse at all and I bought a £2 mini USB mouse for when I'm on the road rather than use the Mighty Mouse again.
Now I use a Razer Diamondback 3G (used to have Habu - possibly the comfiest mouse ever).

I also find using my A4 graphics tablet is really good when playing as a sniper in TF2 and L4D.
And don't get a 360. No mouse control at all!

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
id love to.

Here you go. Me killing a bunch of people using a touchpad in a TF2 server. I apologize for the crap quality and crap angles. I basically taped my phone to my chest and recorded it with my phone's crappy camera.

I'm not the a particularly great TF2 player, but I did a pretty decent job in these clips, especially considering that I'm using a touchpad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejDfD1JB8zQ
1st scene: Sniper
2 kills, both headshots

2nd scene: Soldier
3 kills with rockets

3rd scene: Scout
3 kills with scattergun

4th scene: Sniper
3 kills, 2 headshots

But still, I'd pick my Diamondback 3G over my touchpad any day for gaming, unless it's not with me or I'm too lazy to.

aluminumapple

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
Here you go. Me killing a bunch of people using a touchpad in a TF2 server. I apologize for the crap quality and crap angles. I basically taped my phone to my chest and recorded it with my phone's crappy camera.

I'm not the a particularly great TF2 player, but I did a pretty decent job in these clips, especially considering that I'm using a touchpad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejDfD1JB8zQ
1st scene: Sniper
2 kills, both headshots

2nd scene: Soldier
3 kills with rockets

3rd scene: Scout
3 kills with scattergun

4th scene: Sniper
3 kills, 2 headshots

But still, I'd pick my Diamondback 3G over my touchpad any day for gaming, unless it's not with me or I'm too lazy to.

: P.

you sir. are the first person i have ever met that plays well with touchpad.

than again my hand sweats so even if i set my touchpad to max speed i for some reason cant go fast because of yeah.

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
If you call 2-3 kills per life as a sniper 'playing' :p
I kid I kid!

With 4 of the 5 kills being headshots. :p

Besides, it's not really that easy a job. I've killed Snipers more often than I've died to them as a Scout. (3rd part of the video, the really short range class)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.