OS Neutral FPS Suggestions ?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Washac, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Washac, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014

Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

I have an itch to play an FPS, so....................

Seeing as I cannot play Wolfenstein The New Order can all the FPS players out there recommend me an FPS with similar game play, Mac or PC, I have Bootcamp running again :)

EDIT: Not interested in online multiplayer.

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

You run Bootcamp? If so, consider Unreal Tournament. There are older versions of UT available for Mac, but I'm fuzzy on which ones, and you may have trouble locating a Mac version. Or give Quake Live a shot.

3. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Thanks for the reply but not interested in online multiplayer, edited my OP.

4. Janichsan macrumors 65816

Janichsan

The remakes of Rise of the Triad and Shadow Warrior are nice, fast-paced old-school shooters (both only available for Windows).

5. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Thanks, prefer the look of Rise of the Triad, will give them both a look though :)

6. Huntn, Nov 24, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

7. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Going to go for these they look the part, one question.

I want to start from game 1 and work my way through them, I see there is Half Life then there is Half Life Episode and Episode 3.

What would the playing order be from game 1 ?

Have looked on the net but got confused.

8. Huntn, Nov 24, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Start with Half Life, the original game, outstanding adventure. I consider the original HL to be the greatest solo FPS of all time. :) Optionally afterwards, you can play Blue Shift and Opposing Force or jump straight to Half Life 2, then HL2 Episode 1 and 2. Yes, the titles for HL2 are confusing. Episode 1 takes place after the original Half Life 2. It may be hard to decide in advance but if you end up playing them all, you'll save $15 by buying the "complete" version.

9. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

The BioShock series is awesome. Definitely worth a play. Awesome pieces of narrative and very addictive gameplay.

Half Life is another series that is worth a play.

Call of Duty 4 is still somewhat profound, even if the endless continuation of the series has lead to stagnation and now ridiculousness.

I'm a big fan of the Doom and Quake series as well, all of which are worth a try.

If you're into horror, try Outlast or Amnesia: Dark Descent or Alien Isolation.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I found the early Call of Duty and Medal of Honor (WWII games) to be excellent!

11. Wardenski macrumors 6502

System Shock 2 should be worth a look. I bought it a while ago but I have not played it yet. I think on Steam, its the one with updated graphics but still dated compared to today. I think there is a Mac port.

12. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

OK thanks, what is the difference between Half Life and Half Life Source ?

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Graphics mostly. The original HL ran on a greatly tweaked version of the Quake Engine. HL Source runs, obviously, on Source. They're the same game otherwise, but I believe HL:S has better water and particle effects, higher res textures, and improved models.

Also, I want to throw out my opinion and recommend the original Unreal. I don't know how well it's aged, but it was my favorite FPS back in the day.

14. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Gone with Half Life for now, but will look into all the choices given, thanks all :)

15. lmedinas macrumors newbie

I got HF-2 plus Episodes for 4,79€ a couple of months ago from Steam. I totally recommend this game, the story is amazing and the playability is also great.

16. Janichsan macrumors 65816

Janichsan

If you haven't bought them already, I would wait until tomorrow, when the next Steam winter sale is supposed to start. Then you would probably be able to get all the Half-Lifes you can eat for a few bucks.

17. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

OK, thanks :)

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Unreal, the solo game, and it's multiplayer (Unreal Tournament predecessor) were both amazing in their day.

For the OP, I assume you never played Marathon? Now dated, but awesome in its day. Me and my computer buds competed in multiplayer combat for about 7 years, before abandoning it for UT. There is an iOS Marathon version available, but I don't like the iPad controls for it.

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Most definitely. Unreal had atmosphere and gameplay out the wazoo. And the original UT? I have yet to see another online game match it for style and variety.

Everyone else might've been having a ball with Quake back then, but for me, it was all Unreal, all the time.

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

UT as far as environments, beat Quake into the ground! :)

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Not only that, but it had better weapons, too. I have yet to play an FPS with a gun as fun to use as the Flak Cannon.

...and that multishot rocket launcher. Man, it was great cheesing people with that.

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I agree, greatly fun weapons! :)

23. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

No mention of Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

I've pretty much stopped buying AAA shooters, because they get boring after 2 hours, but there are a few I have enjoyed the last few years.
    DX:HR was very nice, also available for Mac. I also somewhat enjoyed Metro Last Light.

24. xSinghx Suspended

xSinghx

Suggestions:

(Essentials)
    Bioshock 1
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    Doom 3

(Oddballs)
    Borderlands 2
    Deadspace 1&2

Reasons:
    Bioshock is a monumental achievement that should be experienced by anyone that plays video games. It's compelling on many levels, gameplay, narrative, setting, sound and character design. Games are largely unthoughtful when it comes to narrative and typically lack philosophical resonance or sophistication. Bioshock is daring enough to put it at the center of its world.

Deus Ex's strength is its versatility. It can be played as a shooter, a stealth game or some combination. It has heavier RPG elements than something like Bioshock. It has an interesting and competent story (rare for a game) though it still suffers from some narrative traps like rogue tough guy cliche amongst some other things. Finally the visual design of the game is rich as it jumps to varying locations in its cyberpunk noir settings.

I finished Doom 3 this month. I've owned it since sometime around its release. There's no other single player FPS that builds as much tension and angst as Doom 3. Every time I picked it up I would play for 30mins or less and not return for long periods of time just due to the intensity of the experience. The sound design is peerless in the way it builds deep anxiety and tension. I think I saved my game file like every 1-2mins (after I killed something) throughout the campaign. I'm not exactly selling the fun factor as I recommend it here but as an experience in a game it is definitely without equal.

25. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Awesome games that everyone should play, though I wouldn't call them FPSes in the classic sense. They lean more towards RPGs, or as Warren Spector likes to call them, Immersive Sims.

Though if we're gonna consider games like that then I'll throw my vote in for Vampire:Bloodlines.