FPV (First Person View) Quadcopter build

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by NissanGuy23, Aug 24, 2015.

1. NissanGuy23 macrumors member

Hi, i just wanted to share a project i've been working on.. Its a quadcopter with a live stream to video googles which allows you to fly it in 'first person' view. I saw this online and decided to give it a shot.

Most of the components are from Getfpv.com. It was somewhat difficult to build, there was some soldering involved and some customization here and there. It uses a security camera to send live video, and i have a cheap 1080p camera on top to record what you see on YouTube. These custom build quads are very fast and hyperactive, so once you get good you can get some great video. I haven't tried any racing because i don't personally know anyone else with one, but maybe eventually will try to get into that.

Flying in FPV is kind of trippy..i need to be sitting in order to do it otherwise id probably fall over. At one point i saw myself and for a second was trying to figure out who it was.. Once you fly far away enough that you cant hear it, it really becomes an out of body experience.

I finally got it all together and spent the weekend flying around, looking for some appropriate places to fly. Pics and video below. My roomate also knows how to fly so he was giving it a go also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Holy ****, it sounds like you're being chased by a swarm of angery bees. :) Looks really cool but the noise is a huge negative for a video like this . Probably best to mute the bzzzzzzzzz.

How much did this cost?
    How much time aloft does the battery provide?
    Are there comparable commercially sold alternatives and if so, why did you choose to build?
    Is there a setup where you could see and record through a single camera?

3. NissanGuy23 thread starter macrumors member

Yea im pretty bad at editing videos, i was going to toss some music in but was worried about Youtube blocking it. My 2010 mac also struggles really bad to process the 1080p lol.

Total cost for everything was around $900 or so. I'm not sure there is much of a complete kit that is similar to this that you can buy in a finished package. The commercial units to me are sort-of clunky and slow, and i personally love customizing and building things. I think some people record and stream over the same camera, but its not common, only because the stream quality with low latency is lower quality..like a old CRT TV. The second is to capture the flight in 1080p. Im still messing around with different security cameras to get a better stream picture, need to look at how they handle IR light and the sun, ect, and they need to have very low latency.