Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

French regulators today fined Apple €8 million for breaching France's data protection rules with targeted App Store ads. France's National Commission for Informatics and Liberty (CNIL) says that Apple did not get the consent of French iPhone users before using identifiers to present targeted ads in the iOS 14.6 update.

iOS-App-Store-General-Feature-Desaturated.jpg

Apple was collecting information and using that data for ads by default, and CNIL says that users had to undertake a "large number of actions" to turn advertising off in the Privacy section of the Settings app. As a result, CNIL ruled that Apple breached Article 82 of the Data Protection Act, leading to a sanction of 8 million euros.
The CNIL services have found that under the old version 14.6 of the iPhone operating system, when a user went to the App Store, identifiers for several purposes, including purposes of customizing advertising ads displayed on the App Store, were by default automatically read on the terminal without collecting consent.
In a statement to Fortune's Patrick McGee, Apple said that it is "disappointed" with the decision and plans to appeal, noting that it only uses its own data for personalized ads.
We are disappointed with this decision given the CNIL has previously recognized that how we serve search ads in the App Store prioritizes user privacy, and we will appeal.

Apple Search Ads goes further than any other digital advertising platform we are aware of by providing users with a clear choice as to whether or not they would like personalized ads. Additionally, Apple Search Ads never tracks users across 3rd party apps and websites, and only uses first-party data to personalize ads. We believe privacy is a fundamental human right and a user should always get to decide whether to share their data and with whom.
Today's fine dates back to a 2021 investigation that CNIL launched after a complaint from the France Digitale association. France Digitale, a lobbying group that represents startups and venture capital firms, said that the iOS 14 update did not comply with European protections for personal data. Apple has since changed how targeted advertising works, and the opt-in and opt-out procedures.

Article Link: France Fines Apple €8 Million for Targeted App Store Ads

TheDailyApple

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2019
This is where I’m (uncharacteristically) happy about government intervention. Data and privacy protections are behind the times, and any move to punish companies for collecting data they weren’t given explicit permission to collect is usually good.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
There's a reason Europe has never created an Apple, or Facebook, or Google...
Are you suggesting that Europe not having large market-abusing anti-competitive companies such as Apple, Facebook, Google, Amazon, etc is a bad thing? 🤣

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Not to defend Apple, but how is this any different than quite literally any other version of targeted ads? I am not being sarcastic or anything I am genuinely confused unless everyone has just been getting fines and just shrugging it off then okay
Is there something more or do they just mean custom ads. Other than zero ads, I'd rather have ads I might care about.

• Disagree
Reactions: GeoStructural

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
Not to defend Apple, but how is this any different than quite literally any other version of targeted ads? I am not being sarcastic or anything I am genuinely confused unless everyone has just been getting fines and just shrugging it off then okay
Because Apple made a big song and dance (and rightfully so) about getting user permission to have targeted ads.

Then they went and abused it for themselves in the App Store.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Data and privacy protections are behind the times, and any

How is this shady of Apple?
Does the EU actually have proof Apple never asked for ads to the end user?
End users see this during activation steps of the iPhone and with App store it may have been months before.
Also did select US iOS users circumvent the prompt by using a USA registered iCloud account?

those that should be dragged by coat-tales LMAO sounds like a mob chant without fully looking into details. Funny how ALL of this NEVER was an issue until Apple became or hit the Trillion $ value mark!!!!

This has nothing to do with privacy or data ... it has to do with the EU asking for money from a USA giant operating in their view of control.

TracesOfArsenic

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2018
Meanwhile, the Irish Data Protection Commission today fined Meta/Facebook $414 million

This is the kind of fines Apple need to face too. Something to make them change, not just through some coins from their pocket and continue on their way.

The_Gream

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2020
Now, I have read the article, and I am trying to figure out how

1: Showing you ads in the Apple App Store from information gathered from you (ether because you didn’t opt-in/opt-out in a setting) is a violation of privacy. I could understand having ads based on someone else’s info being shown to you or your info being used to show ads to someone else being a privacy issue.

2: Who gets the 8 million? Do the French people who got shown ads based on their own personal information get it, or does it go into some large pool of money someone will waste via red tape.

3: When will people learn that fines do not work: Fines do not work, because all the companies do is pass the expense off to the consumer. You wanna fix this issue, you court order all the upper and middle management to do community service projects (40-80 hours per person should do it). If that doesn’t work, you expand it to more people and/or time or prohibit that company from functioning in your area for a set amount of time (piss off share holders enough to vote changes)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.