France unlocked Iphones will be sell!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VaDor, Oct 17, 2007.

1. VaDor macrumors regular

VaDor

Read it at IHT: http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/10/16/business/apple.php

:D

2. sananda macrumors 68020

thanks for that link.

i will be interested to see the price of the unlocked phone!

3. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

I vote we coin a new term in this thread:

"French iPhone" refers to an iPhone that is unlocked at retail in the country of France or to any iPhone that is unlocked by other means.

..quick somebody add this to Wikipedia

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

How bout FriPhone? :D

How bout FriedPhone? :D

5. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Not a bad idea, but some people will be compelled to call it "Freedom iPhone" :p

6. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

god I wish people would just let that go already! :) But I guess calling it Freedom iPhone vs French iPhone works as it implies the same thing.

I really think that works though. French iPhone / Unlocked iPhone. It almost sounds naughty

Picture that in conversation:

Person 1: "my iPhone is French" or "I have a French iPhone"
    Person 2: "wow you are so naughty"
    :D

7. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

8. mikesk8 macrumors member

im wondering how they will solve the issue with activation process? unlocked it means that you can use any simcard, but will it be possible to use it without activating for Orange????

9. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

I predict Apple's response to the French Government calls for an unlocked version will be:

"you want an unlocked iPhone? sure! simply visit the Apple Store online and select iPod Touch....click on add to cart...have a nice day." :)

10. Devil's Refugee macrumors 6502

I've already posted on this forum that it's available for 749 euros in France on release. However the phone company reseller will not post abroad, so if you know any french brethren willing to buy and ship, I suggest getting in touch

11. sananda macrumors 68020

is that an apple unlocked phone? i doubt it, as the price has not been announced yet. it's probably unlocked with anySIM or iphonesimfree.

12. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

And it will stay unlocked and then activate as long as you are a resident of France and have a French iTunes Account.

Bring that over here to the USA and it sees you have a US iTunes account and instead of activating it unlocked, it takes you to the AT&T activation page...

13. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

in all seriousness though, im wondering what, if any, steps Apple will take in regard to assisting non Orange service providers activate iPhones on their networks. So that unlocked iPhones dont suffer from horrible incompatibility issues.

AND, will Apple still service those iPhone's ? Treat them with the same level of CS that they would an iPhone under Orange contract?

14. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

having studied french for a while, if I could get my hands on an unlocked french iPhone that would definitely be pretty damned cool.

15. taybo20 macrumors regular

taybo20

Why? Freedom Fries taste so much better....:D:p

16. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

Mind u, most of the people that are on the "freedom fry" bandwagon probably still use the words 'Toilet' and 'mirror' in their vocabulary simply because they don't know any better.

17. sananda macrumors 68020

i don't understand.

18. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

well the general point of using Freedom fry instead of the word French fry is an attempt to disassociate France from America. A simple statement, basically conveying the message that France has no influnce on american decision making and our culture.

I understand the patriotic act there but geezus, freedom Fry's? And its been like 6 years now let it go! :p

Toilet and Mirror are words we use in american vocabulary that are of French origin

19. sananda macrumors 68020

oh! i hadn't heard about that. so were some people calling a mirror a looking glass instead?

20. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

I havent met any one that used "looking glass" for those reasons , but i hope, for the sake of sanity, no one did lol

21. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

22. cprail macrumors newbie

23. sananda macrumors 68020

you'll have to talk to your lawmakers about some consumer legislation.

24. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

I think the point was that they weren't, they were still using words of french descent even though they were simultaneously trying to separate from the french.

25. klex macrumors regular