Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
I think the point was that they weren't, they were still using words of french descent even though they were simultaneously trying to separate from the french.

Reality check time.

It was a symbolic gesture.

That's all.

One can agree with or disagree with it, but the goal wasn't to eliminate every aspect of French culture from America.

So, no. Words we use of French descent were not eliminated from American vocabularies because that was never the point.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Reality check time.

It was a symbolic gesture.

That's all.

One can agree with or disagree with it, but the goal wasn't to eliminate every aspect of French culture from America.

So, no. Words we use of French descent were not eliminated from American vocabularies because that was never the point.

au contraire! I've run into many people that were so outrageously anti french during that short time... and I happened to over hear those outraged and slightly misguided individuals in conversations about eliminating France never mind just the vocabulary.

Just because it was the point for you doesn't mean everyone felt the same way. ;)

(edit: can't think of any public figure that both of us would be able to see to prove my point, but I guess Bill O'reily comes pretty close...what a nut)

Anyway...enough politics, If france gets an unlocked phone you can sign me up for the export list! I want a french iPhone.

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
au contraire! I've run into many people that were so outrageously anti french during that short time... and I happened to over hear those outraged and slightly misguided individuals in conversations about eliminating France never mind just the vocabulary.

Just because it was the point for you doesn't mean everyone felt the same way. ;)

(edit: can't think of any public figure that both of us would be able to see to prove my point, but I guess Bill O'reily comes pretty close...what a nut)

Anyway...enough politics, If france gets an unlocked phone you can sign me up for the export list! I want a french iPhone.

I'm sure you can find people who want to nuke Paris if you wanted, but that isn't the point either.

The point was about using the term freedom fries which was just a silly political stunt to make a point because France was being annoying in the security council.

sparkyms

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Southampton UK
I don't think that's going to happen, unless this company is buying units and unlocking them like E.Leclerc were doing (but selling for a whopping €999!!!).

If I were a Frenchman, wanting an Unlocked iPhone, I'd certainly wait until Nov.29 and get one that I know definately wouldn't get bricked in the future.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
Mind u, most of the people that are on the "freedom fry" bandwagon probably still use the words 'Toilet' and 'mirror' in their vocabulary simply because they don't know any better.

In Kentucky we call those:

Toilet=Woods
Mirror=Magical wind'r

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
I don't think that's going to happen, unless this company is buying units and unlocking them like E.Leclerc were doing (but selling for a whopping €999!!!).

If I were a Frenchman, wanting an Unlocked iPhone, I'd certainly wait until Nov.29 and get one that I know definately wouldn't get bricked in the future.

what he said.

taybo20

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
Tempe
Mind u, most of the people that are on the "freedom fry" bandwagon probably still use the words 'Toilet' and 'mirror' in their vocabulary simply because they don't know any better.

you do realize i was make a joke right? hence the smiley faces...

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
you do realize i was make a joke right? hence the smiley faces...

yah I know. I didn't mean to make it seem like my comment was directed toward you. I was just using your statement as a premise to make my point toward others in general :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.