Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CorruptedSanity

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
So I got my wife a data package for her ipad, it's a reasonable 5th per month. I also asked her to kinda monitor her usage even though i was sure she would not exceed the 5th. Last night she said omg I've used about 8 gb!!
I said no way maybe u mean 800mb but sure enough the built in counter shows 4th upload and 4.2 download as seen in the attached image.

This is pure 3G usage as the wifi is dead on this ipad ( notice the NO WIFi status top left of image haha). Anyways, I reset the usage on the 5th of november when I first activated the data package for her and then upgraded her ipad to 4.2.1 through a restore from iTunes the day it was released. So the data usage must have reset when I restored(upgraded) the version right. It's impossible that she racked up 8th of usage when she barely uses her ipad to begin with. She's not uploaded anything at all. Not even pictures or movies. All she uses is YouTube app to play nursery rhymes for our twins . But watching videos in YouTube will rend a huge download but not such a huge upload right!

2939610a.png

Any ideas?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
So the data usage must have reset when I restored(upgraded) the version right.

Not so sure about that. Did you restore or update? If you just updated, the usage statistics may not have reset. Could you have somehow uploaded 4GB of data before the firmware update?

Also, I'd have that WiFi looked at -- the iPad is still under warranty, right?

CorruptedSanity

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Not so sure about that. Did you restore or update? If you just updated, the usage statistics may not have reset. Could you have somehow uploaded 4GB of data before the firmware update?

Also, I'd have that WiFi looked at -- the iPad is still under warranty, right?

I am almost certain I did a restore and not an update.
Whether I updated or restored is irrelevant because i see no way my wife can upload/send 4gb worth of data in

A- 22 days since i activated the data package ( assuming i updated to 4.2.1 not restored)

Or

B- In5 since I restored to 4.2.1

As i said shes been browsing the internet lightly, checking email perhaps once a day and watching bids n YouTube. Maybe about 50 vids per day at a max.
Still the d download would be high but not the upload, the upload value is throwing me off.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Something seams fishy about this. I'm just curious why the "3G" symbol with bars isn't in the corner vs just the "iPad". Also how and why is your wifi dead? I'd get that fixed that's pretty limiting.

ClutchThese

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Alexandria, VA
Something seams fishy about this. I'm just curious why the "3G" symbol with bars isn't in the corner vs just the "iPad". Also how and why is your wifi dead? I'd get that fixed that's pretty limiting.

No 3G is displayed because he turned it off. When I'm on. Wifi I turn my 3G off also to save battery.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
You're asking us to diagnose a clearly buggered iPad. If WiFi is "dead" then my first questions wouldn't regard the 3G's apparent usage; instead I'd wonder what happened to kill the WiFi ...and what else that event might have taken out.

The iPad should be under warranty. Get it looked at. Meanwhile, your carrier may have a phone number you can call to monitor your data usage, billing, etc. But even then, whatever killed the WiFi might be screwing other things up. As one respondent noted, there is no 3G symbol or bars shown on your screen-snap. Multiple oddities, then.

Get it looked at.

(Have you been dicking around with jailbreaking, perhaps? My first go at jailbreaking killed WiFi on my old iPhone 3G. Perhaps something similar is going on? IIRC a hard-reset fixed my 3G but then the problem would sometimes recur. I got rid of the jailbreak and tried again a few months later, with fewer issues.)

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
What happened to Wifi?
Maybe you should take it to an Apple Store and see if they'll swap it out for one with working Wifi.

CorruptedSanity

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Ok here's the wifi story :

Woke up one to find my ipad already connected to wifi last night but no connection. So I turned it off then on and it said NO WIFI then :

Here's the series of events :
Reset device by holding power and home button
Turned off for 15 Mins then on again
Charged full then let it sit overnight off
Reset network settings
Reset all settings
Erase all settings and content
Upgraded from 3.2.1 to 3.2.2
Upgraded to 4.2 beta
Upgraded to 4.2 gm
Downgraded to 3.2.2
Downgraded to 3.2.1
Upgraded to 4.2.1 gm
Downgraded to 3.2.1

During he above I also called apple UK and they said bring it and we'll replace it immediately. Great but I live in the UAE. We don have a service center here either. I'll have to wait till they release the ipad here officially then take it in for a replacement. Have never dropped the ipad.

This is the story of NO WIFI.

Wifey's been using it on 3G till we get it replaced.

And the incompetent service provider cannot tell me July data usage because their system's been down for 4 days now.

Does re-watching a YouTube vid render addtional ddownload ?
Like I watch a vid then hit he play button ( no loading since I've just watched ) it. Does the second round of viewing yield more download? Even if it does, what can my wife be doing to rack up 4gb in 22 days or 5 days?!

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
50 Youtube videos a day? If you watch a video it downloads. Sounds to me like you did use 8GB of data. Man, I'd hate to see that bill!

bobby68

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2009
It has to be some weird iOS software-bug, as I had the same behavier, last month, on my iPhone 3GS.

I have a 500 mb plan on my iPhone, and reset the counter every month. So I was a bit (very) surprised to see that amount of data had been used, as I normaly use about 200-300 mb per month.

I checked my usage on my carriers webpage, and I had only used about 200 mb.

So don't worry :)

(I took the screenshot just before I reset the usage 1 November - before that I reset the 1 September)

Attachments

• IMG_0334.PNG
    IMG_0334.PNG
    47.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Even if the iPhone data counter shows the download/upload wrong watching 50 YouTube videos a day can definitely amount to 8GB at the end of the month.

bobby68

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2009
His data counter shows 4.0GB download and 4.2 download. That's 8.2GB. The phone is just counting wrong what's download vs. what's upload but that doesn't change the fact that 8GB of data were consumed.

That's right. But I'm willing to bet that his actual usage doesn't match the counter. And I don't think his wife did consume 8 GB. That counter doesn't reflect the actual usage in any way. - My counter didn't.

But I guess we'll have to wait and see what OP says...

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
That's right. But I'm willing to bet that his actual usage doesn't match the counter. And I don't think his wife did consume 8 GB. That counter doesn't reflect the actual usage in any way. - My counter didn't.

But I guess we'll have to wait and see what OP says...

If she plays 50 YouTube videos a day then she most likely hit 8GB.

CorruptedSanity

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
If she plays 50 YouTube videos a day then she most likely hit 8GB.

Not necessarily. I did a quick test on a random medium quality YouTube vid and of about 3 mins and it only used up 2 mb.

But as bobby68 said that amount won't result in 4gb upload.

I think it's like your error on your iPhone 3gS

I'll find out tomorrow. I'll visit my service provider's main branch.

CorruptedSanity

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
It has to be some weird iOS software-bug, as I had the same behavier, last month, on my iPhone 3GS.

I have a 500 mb plan on my iPhone, and reset the counter every month. So I was a bit (very) surprised to see that amount of data had been used, as I normaly use about 200-300 mb per month.

I checked my usage on my carriers webpage, and I had only used about 200 mb.

So don't worry :)

(I took the screenshot just before I reset the usage 1 November - before that I reset the 1 September)

Thanks for posting this. I almost feel relieved.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Not necessarily. I did a quick test on a random medium quality YouTube vid and of about 3 mins and it only used up 2 mb.

But as bobby68 said that amount won't result in 4gb upload.

I think it's like your error on your iPhone 3gS

I'll find out tomorrow. I'll visit my service provider's main branch.

That's very unlikely. Even a 3min song is about 3MB, a 3min video is even more. I downloaded a short video from YouTube the other day and it was 7MB.

And again, the meter might be wrong about what you uploaded vs. what you downloaded but it doesn't mean you didn't consume 8GB of data.

bobby68

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2009
That's very unlikely. Even a 3min song is about 3MB, a 3min video is even more. I downloaded a short video from YouTube the other day and it was 7MB.

Just remember, when you watch a youtube video on the iPad and the iPhone over 3G, the quality (and the amount of data) is heavily reduced.

So you really can't compare that to a video that you download from youtube.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.