Free 1080p AVI to 1080p MOV converter software?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by MacsFTW, Aug 27, 2011.

1. MacsFTW macrumors newbie

Hi!

I own a 1080p HD camcorder, and the file format is AVI, and I want to edit the videos in After Effects, but it doesn't support AVI, so I need to convert it to a different format that supports 1080p. Any ideas on what software I should get?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

3. MacsFTW thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! But what's the difference between the Pro version and the free one?

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Well, for instance, Smart Converter Pro gives you batch processing, control over file locations, and iTunes integration, notifications, queue management and advanced options.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This one's not even close. MPEG Streamclip--and it's free.

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

JES Deinterlacer is also quite excellent. It's become a staple in my video editing workflow (though not for converting formats). You can set it up so that it doesn't alter the video at all, just converts it.

7. MoonshineSG macrumors member

Using HandBreak for all my conversions. Free.

8. DarkestRitual macrumors member

DarkestRitual

Second for handbrake - it's free and you can do batch conversions. Pwn.

9. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

10. CoolMe macrumors member

Just downloaded this from always using Handbreak... LOVE IT!

11. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Handbrake is indeed awesome, but it has an extremely limited output selection of codecs. You're basically limited to H.264 or MPEG-4. It's great if that's all you want, but both MPEG-Streamclip and JES Deinterlacer give you far more options.

If the OP just wants to get the video into a watchable format, Handbrake would be great. If the OP wants to do any sort of editing with the video, the other two would be much better. Since the OP does want to edit, the format of the video is of the utmost importance. The more compressed the video is, the more work it's going to take AfterEffects to process it.

I recommend going with one of the uncompressed formats or with Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC). Those are going to generate very large files, but they will be very easy to edit. OP, I can work up a fairly detailed workflow that will allow you to get the video in AfterEffects if that would help.

QuickTime Player X has an even more limited selection of output codecs, and no control over what format it actually is. None of them are any good for editing. QuickTime 7 Pro is great, but also $30.

12. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I know what you mean. Handbrake is one of those elite tools that has too many configurable options and thus too many ways to flip the wrong switch. I hate waiting for my conversion to finish only to turn out wrong in one way or another.

SmartConverter is the equivalent of iMovie vs. Final Cut Pro, good enough for me.

13. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Heh, if you want to use that analogy, Handbrake is more like Final Cut Express. It's more configurable than Smart Convertor, but it's still quite limited compared to other options (MPEG-Streamclip, JES Deinterlacer, or Apple's Compressor).

14. lhayati macrumors newbie

MPEG Streamclip is the best converter available! and it's free :)