"free" bitesms 5.0

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by strodda, Oct 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strodda macrumors regular

I forget where I read it, but it wasnt my idea/discovery, but it is a great one.

Download the full trial of bitesms 5 that just came out. Then get yourself a little app called firewall ip. Open bitesms and whenever a FWIP popup comes onscreen, select "global deny". Basically denying the access of ads that would show up in the free version.

The only thing is that the small bottom bar stay saying something like "want to ge rid of this? Buy it".

But that doesn't bother me at all. I want the app mostly for the ability to send and respond from the lockscreen.

2. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

Seriously why wouldn't you either just deal with the ads or support the developer and buy the program?

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So instead of that banner on the bottom displaying an ad you still see the banner but with this text instead "want to ge rid of this? Buy it".
    What difference does that make? That small ad window on the bottom of bitesms bothers you that much?
    That particular dev puts tons of work and keeps improving the app all the time. I think the least we should do if paying $9 is that hard to some is leave it alone IMO.
    I bought the app and still leave the ad display on the bottom. Hope the bro makes a few pennies thru adds additionally to the $9 I gave him for a great package he put together.

4. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I think he'd do a lot better if he made the price less than $9. That's a bit ridiculous for a text messaging program - iMovie on the iPhone costs $9.99.

5. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Well said AJ. bite is one of the very few jb apps I consider "worth" it.

6. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Most people don't use iMovie dozens of times a week, let alone a day. Best $9 I ever spent on an app was buying Bite.

7. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Wrong. iMovie costs $4.99.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I dont think the price is that bad for the tons of functionality, customization and usage you get out of it.
    That app alone to some makes JB worth it.
    Its cool that he still gives everyone an option to have the full version for free but with the ads on the bottom. Most devs dont even give us that option.

9. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

No, and I agree with you that it's a cool move on his part, I just think he'd probably get more buyers if it were $3 or $5. The volume would likely make up for the shaving of the price. I imagine some people using it for free would make the purchase if it were a bit cheaper.

Worth vs. what average cheap people will pay is an entirely different discussion.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I just JB'ed my iPhone, and biteSMS was one of the first apps I bought. Support the developer, and they will make the app even better.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, he'd probably get more people that were on the fence if he dropped it to $5 or less but thats up to him.
    I'd still buy it even if it was $20.

12. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

Ad impressions are worth nothing. Click on the ads if you want to support the developer.

13. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

i agree. irealsms is even more expensive than bitesms and i find bitesms better. I'm definitely going to purchase this app and was definitely worth jailbreaking for

14. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Yea, $8.99 is a bit above the "impulse buy" zone.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No doubt, we should all click the banner ads once in a while on our free time between texts.

16. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

To save spending $8.99, you spend $2.99 for FirewallIP, block all the biteSMS ad IPs and still see the banner section at the bottom of the app. This is a 'great' idea why? The things people do to 'save' $6.00 is amazing.

17. Justinb51 macrumors 6502

Justinb51

Don't kill me till you read the whole post.
    I usually get a cracked version of most of the things I get from cydia first. Try it for a while, I know it comes with a trial but the trials aren't long enough for me. Then if I like the program enough I buy it.
    For example with bite I had the app for about two months then just yesterday I decided that it was the app I was going to continue to use so I got rid of the cracked version and purchased the full one. I also used elert, cracked ( I think that's the name, it's the program where you get the email pop ups while in any app) for a while but found that after about a couple of weeks that I didn't want the app so I got rid of it. It comes with a 3 day trial I think and for me 3 days is just not long enough to decide if it's worth it for me.

18. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Why can't people obey the MR rules and not post about piracy and their rationalizations for it? :confused::(

19. Jaaaaaamie macrumors newbie

Which I assume you have paid for........

20. strodda thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, you guys are hilarious. We should click on ad banners on our free time, are you kiddin me?!??!!!

If you have a show recorded, do you watch the commercials on purpose?

Everyone here is such a saint. I know the majority of you will take the advice I mentioned above, but none will admit it. To those people, you're welcome.

It's not piracy. Cydia allows the download of both apps, I'm just using them. Neither are cracked apps.

21. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Doubt it. I've used it for a while with the ads and couldn't even pretend to tell you one ad that shows up in it. I never looked at them like they were never there. It's not like it's a huge ad that's always in your way. It's a complete waste of time to block an ad if the banner area is still there.

22. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

I wasn't responding to you, I was responding to the post immediately before mine which mentioned a pirate app.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im nowhere near a saint or like to preach or judge people.
    You do what you like anyway.
    But why not if you enjoy the software pay for it or support the developer by once in a while clicking on the banner. Trust me it wont kill you:)
    You're advice or method is moronic anyway. The banner is still there its just not displaying an ad:D Wow, lets all rush and get firewall ip so we can block that tiny window on the bottom of bitesms.
    Great idea:rolleyes:

24. Claude626 macrumors 6502

This. The whole purpose of "removing the ad" is to take back the space on the already small screen.

25. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

You're delusional if you think the majority of people here will use this circuitous, unnecessary, and ultimately useless hack. The majority of people on macrumors take pride in supporting developers who do good work. Plus it doesn't really do anything for you (still have lost screen space) and the people here aren't dumb.

Just look at the comments in this thread. I think you severely misjudged the community here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.