Free "Glass" Replace

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dwalls90, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I've read on the forums that many have shattered the glass of their iPhone 4 and Apple has happily replaced it for free. In fact, my own father had this happen to him and had it replaced for free. I was wondering if anyone has had any such luck as of recently? I'm trying to find time to visit a genius bar in the next day or so, as SOMEHOW I woke up to my iPhone 4's back shattered (I think it was the damn cat). However, I fear that I'm not going to have the same luck, and in that case would rather save a trip to the mall and just order the $50 replacement part to fix it on my own (and to save my SSH for 4.1 to keep my jailbreak!)

2. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

I only know from reading stories on this forum, but from what I understand, Apple will replace a broken iPhone 4 back glass for $29... If you get a cool genius, they might throw you a free one.

3. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Every "Apple fixed/replaced my hardware for free" success story I've read has had a very common formula:

1. Person breaks device.
    2. Person sets up genius appointment.
    3. Person is HONEST and POLITE at said appointment, and sometimes it even helps to be a bit self deprecating (i.e. I'm such a clutz, I really wish I hadn't done that), and thankful that Apple is fixing the hardware (usually at a reasonable rate anyway).
    4. Genius disappears for a moment and then comes back with a bill w/ a one time waiver.

Of course this doesn't work for everyone, but it works for a lot of people. You just have to go in hoping to get lucky, but not expecting it.

So, good luck!

4. ReallyOldGuy macrumors regular

ReallyOldGuy

After 60 years of "being nice" i am still amazed at its power......always.

5. andrewjh07 macrumors member

In a related case, I dropped my 3Gs over the summer and have had a blackberry since. How much would the Apple Store want to replace the glass?

6. geko29 macrumors 6502

Bold is key. These people get lied to, all day, every day. "I have no idea what happened, it just stopped working." Take your lumps, admit it was your fault (even if you honestly don't know how it happened, offer that you may have dropped it or sat on it accidentally, or your cat may have knocked it off the counter--whatever you THINK may have been the cause), take responsibility and accept whatever the repair estimate is. They might waive it for you, they might not. Significantly more often than not, they'll take pity on you if you're genuinely contrite and not trying to pull one over on them.

Worst case scenario, the phone's totaled and you get the $199 non-warranty swap. Sucks, but not the end of the world (like a full-price $699 replacement would be). Best case, they do the swap for free because you weren't a douchebag. Between those two, if it's just the back glass, they should offer a $29 repair.

7. Pink∆Floyd, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

The best thing you could do is too be completely honest with the Genius guy/gal. Trust me when I say honesty is the key for success.

[​IMG]