Free ipod touch with macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gugmi01, Apr 13, 2010.

1. gugmi01 macrumors newbie

Hey im excited like some of you may be for the new macbook pro updates.. Im goin to be buyin my first mbp soon for my first year in college and heard that there was/is an offer that would allow me to get a free ipod touch with the purchase of a mbp. Is this offer currently available and if its not, is it a yearly offer? thanks!

2. BEARitone macrumors newbie

I believe that is a deal they offer in the fall called "Back to School".

To my knowledge it is not available at the moment.

3. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

It is usually available August/September, to clear stock for iPod refreshes. As the name indicates, in the back to school period.

4. tikidoc macrumors regular

tikidoc

Actually, it usually starts the first week of June in the US.

5. Libertine Lush macrumors 6502a

In the past, these deals were only available if you bought from an Apple store or Apple online, is that correct?

If so, I'd rather buy from a reseller, saving at least $100 from the initial cost and up to $200 in taxes, which is ultimately a better deal than a 8GB iPod Touch which is only $180 at Amazon.

6. Amnak macrumors 6502

You can get the same deal from best buy but months later and I hate best buy.

7. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

8. Libertine Lush macrumors 6502a

What about resellers like MacConnection, MacMall, etc? With Best Buy there would still be tax.

9. Scionlifepal macrumors newbie

Does anyone remember in the past when they offered the free ipod touch deal if they also allowed the $100 rebate on the printer as well?

10. breathesrain macrumors regular

Check mroogle. There was an older thread in this same forum that asked the same question- a poster gave the dates for the last four years that the promotion started (in the US).

11. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

Yes they do.

12. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

kinda think it would change over a few years..

13. breathesrain macrumors regular

That's why they gave the dates for all four years :p sorry if my post was misleading. Since I'm too lazy, I'm not going to find the thread myself...but interestingly, the four years should a trend towards earlier dates.

14. gugmi01 thread starter macrumors newbie

ah great thanks this helps so much! yay ill wait till june/july then.. thanks again!

15. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

It kind of makes you wish they hadn't been released yet, doesn't it? :eek:

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

And have a year old technology released in the fall 2010? (as if it wasn't bad already) :eek:

17. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

It doesn't matter what's on the market if you're not in the market yourself. ;) It would only make the decision easier for those who are playing the waiting game if they didn't have to make the choice to wait for an iPod or not.

18. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

i've been waiting for a laptop for college for a long time, and with yesterday's release of the updated MBPs waiting for the Back to School discount seems as if it was 10 years away...

19. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Indeed it does. With that said, do you plan on waiting or is the pull too strong?

20. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

i'm torn over it, my 1st gen Touch is pretty buggy so that makes me want to wait. but my PC is awful and i've been dying to get rid of it for two years so i kind of want it now. idk!:(

21. silexh macrumors member

silexh

There is a slight trend towards earlier dates indeed.
    May 27 should be just about right.
    Check my sig for the precise dates.

22. Libertine Lush macrumors 6502a

Can I ask why some of you are interested in this offer over buying from a reseller, which can discount up to $165 off the initial price (going by AppleInsider's pricing guide, http://www.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/) and up to $200 in taxes? And on top of that, several of these resellers are giving away a copy of Parallels or Fusion and an 8GB Flash drive along with the order. In totality, a significantly better deal than a 8GB iPod Touch which is only $180 at Amazon.

Perhaps some people are ordering a customized system that the resellers don't yet stock, but from what I've seen in the past, they'll be carrying more variations soon.

23. mug3n macrumors newbie

Simple.

1. Nobody says you have to keep the iPod. For me, I'm planning to sell it on craigslist immediately after I get it. I'm sure the latest gen brand new ipod touches can still fetch a decent penny. On top of the educational discount, that's a lot of money I'm getting back.

2. Shipping and duty fees. Macmall may be a great deal if you're in the US, but I'm sure for those who aren't, it's gonna be a pain to shell out $100 to pick up your package.

24. Libertine Lush macrumors 6502a

When Amazon sells the iPod for $180, it's likely any potential buyer of your iPod would have checked some stores online before checking Craiglist, so you're unlikely get the $200 it sells for at some places. Even if you did, compared to a reseller, when you total the initial MPB discount, the absence of tax, the free software and free flash drive, it amounts to almost $500 in value. Apple's education discount still won't bring up the $200 recouped from an iPod sale to that sum.

I'm not being argumentative; I just wanna make sure I'm not missing something as I'll be picking up a 15" or 17" MBP soon as well.

(And I am directing my understanding at US-based customers. Can't speak to the pricing elsewhere.)

25. mug3n macrumors newbie

I'm not speaking as a US customer obviously from what I've wrote above.

The value in software and the USB is negligible for me. Unless you were going to get those things to begin with, it's meaningless. I rather get some cash back because I have plenty of external media and I don't plan on using Parallels. An iPod is a load easier to sell.

By all means though, if you're from the US then I don't see how this isn't a great deal.

EDIT: You should MRoogle about macmall, there's apparently a few threads that had less than pleased customers:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=255902
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=372857