Free IPOD TOUCH!?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lmt2o3, Jul 31, 2008.

1. lmt2o3 macrumors newbie

Hey, I have a quick question. My friend recently bought a Mac book the one that falls in the free ipod touch offer. However, he didn't want to get it anymore and canceled the order. Hypothetically speaking, if the ipod touch was sent out already at the same time of order is it free even after the return/refund/cancelation of laptop was complete?

2. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

No way. If you return the machine you will be denied the refund effectively making you purchase the Touch. Nice try though.

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

How it works is they charge you for the Touch. Then when you receive the computer you fill out a rebate form and mail it in with the UPC from the computer's packaging.
    No computer, no UPC. No UPC, no rebate and you just bought the iPod touch.

Unless the process has changed since the last time I bought a computer during the free iPod offer.

4. magiic macrumors regular

magiic

5. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

It has.

6. lmt2o3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is the situation, I just spoke to her and she said her roommate did the same thing but her mom told her to cancel the order for personal reasons, however, she RECEIVED the I TOUCH...8Gig...the refund/money has already been back to the account and the itouch is sealed in box with her...so what to do now?

7. divinemercy macrumors regular

hard to say...

i mean obviously you want the touch, but you dont want to be stuck with fraud claims or legal issues if apple catches it...

8. lmt2o3 thread starter macrumors newbie

How will they be able to catch it, if i can ask?

9. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

Nothing has changed you still have to submit your rebate.

10. divinemercy macrumors regular

Who knows?
    They may keep track of the serial numbers, etc so when you go to register it or use it with itunes it alerts them...

Or they may just review the case, realize that you returned the comp and then get pissed lol....

etc.

i dunno, i would be wary. I mean technically you are stealing a 300 dollar piece of electronic equipment...

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Go return the touch. What is it with people on this forum always trying to steal stuff?

12. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

Your friend is not aware that he paid for the iPod when he made the purchase. Tell him not to deal with fraudulent activities in the future since he seems not to be very sharp.

iPod is free when you sent your rebates and get your money back.

13. divinemercy macrumors regular

I think he said that the rebate check had already been recieved, and successfully cashed.

14. lmt2o3 thread starter macrumors newbie

If anything i'll tell her to call apple, its just wierd. The ITouch was sent before the Apple Mac so, she was able to cancel the laptop order and next day the ITouch came in and everything was fully refunded. There was no rebate involved. But I don't know. We'll see what apple has to say. Maybe a mistake or something?

15. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Yes you have to submit the rebate, but the specifies that two are done online and one must be mailed in. I'll be purchasing a new computer and receiving the iPod tomorrow, and am planning on doing just that. With this particular promotion, it was my understanding that there was no documentation needed to be physically mailed in to qualify for the rebate which is why everyone is getting theirs in less than 2 weeks most of the time. If it were having to be mailed in, processed, and then sent out it would take far longer, yes?

16. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

wow they've the process much eisier since I did it, you can just do it all online now.

17. lmt2o3 thread starter macrumors newbie

^^newappleboy. The thing is...I was told that once the purchased was complete, everything was done, she just had to wait for it. However, during the week, she had to cancel the order and the ITOUCH has been shipped to the house. IT is completely sealed and not open.

18. Dr Strangelove macrumors regular

All I can say is "Karma is a bitch".

Best of luck to you.

19. monke macrumors 65816

monke

+1

For the record lmt2o3, its iPod Touch not ITOUCH. I have a sneaking suspicion you have a caps lock issue going on, you might want to look into that.

20. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Because taking one piece of electronics from a faceless corporation isn't really stealing, it's more like fighting the man. Plus, who doesn't want free stuff?

21. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

in the first post, lmt2o3's friend was a he. however in #6 he lmt2o3's friend was a she. sex change?

22. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

stealing is stealing. And they're not stealing from a faceless corporation they're stealing from everyone, because Apple has to increase the costs of their products to help cushion the blow of theft.

It is definitely not fighting the man, it's kicking sand in everyone else's face.

It's not free, it costs you oh so much more than money.

23. Dr Strangelove macrumors regular

I bet your employer would love to hear your opinion on this subject as well.

24. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Geez, I was kidding when I said that bit about the faceless corporation. I agree, stealing is wrong, but there are certain times where it's reasonable or even accepted (I can think of an example for both of those. Ask me if you want to hear them). If the OP can get around having to return the iPod Touch, then why not keep it? If they can't, then they should return it, or just pay for it.

25. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Your example wouldn't happen to be a starving child stealing an apple would it? :rolleyes: