Free iTunes Television Show Downloads

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has posted two new video clips on the iTunes Music Store which are available as free downloads. The two new video clips include (iTunes Links):

Saturday Night Live Short - Lazy Sunday - 2m 31s
Sci Fi Inside: Battlestar Galactica - 21m 03s

Zap2It reports that the half-hour Battlestar Galactica special will first air on television on January 2nd 2006. The show acts as a lead-in to for the winter season of the show, catching viewers up.

"We are thrilled to be the first network to premiere our own original programming on the iTunes Music Store," says Dave Howe, Sci Fi's executive vice president and general manager.
These represent the first free video clips available to iTunes users. Apple has been distributing free songs on their iTunes Music Store to promote songs/artists since April 2004.. MacRumors readers have been keeping track of all free songs offered from iTunes in this running list.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
:d

Canadian residents can't access it? If it's free, it should be available everywhere.

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC
The SNL clip is one I hate to like...I feel like I should delete it immediately, but it makes me smile...

"Six might actually kill a Cylon..." AAARGH!!! I can't wait for new episodes!

cait-sith

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
canada
cmon apple, make it available worldwide :(

i already watched it on saturday, and got it off the web somewhere. :D

almost as funny as the "christmas time for the jews" smigel cartoon they ran last week.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Wow, I haven't cared to see SNL in a long time but that was pretty damn good. I gifted it to my wife so she could see it in the morning.

EDIT: Ok, I think the best line HAS to be the one about dropping Hamiltons like Aaron Burr. Thats awesome.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Interesting, this is the first week this year in which Apple did not release any free iTunes.

(Note, added later: The weekly free tunes were added later in the evening.)

lu0s3r322

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2005
lol i saw that last saturday, i was laughing sooo hard.

but its great that itunes has those for free.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Wow I havn't laughed that hard in a while! Its great cuz I went to the bakery in the summer. And its even more awsome its for free.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Anyway, this is a great "Christmas gift" for Apple to offer - and hopefully just the start of things to come. I realize it's not much, especially a two minute SNL skit, but it's better than nothing. Hopefully Apple will continue this trend, just as they have done with the free iTunes single every week (which, as you say Doctor Q, is noticeably absent this week....) I don't think they'll go so far as to release their main shows for free, but perhaps they could do something like this for older shows. Hmm, although then that would start getting into a possible tiered pricing model, with clips being free, old shows being at a discount, and new shows going at full price. Meh, guess we'll see where Apple takes it!

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Yes, Pibb references!! Up here in Canada few people know the greatness of that drink. I used to drink it aaaall the time in Florida on vacations and now me and a few friends have to make a trek into the US to pick this stuff up.. can't even get it in Buffalo anymore, we had to drive to Ohio for it! I love seeing Pibb references in TV (so far Family Guy, American Dad and SNL that I've seen)

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
cait-sith said:
cmon apple, make it available worldwide :(
It's not for Apple to decide :(

Geography aside, it's nice to see that some of these videos are finally being offered at something more closely resembling their retail value.