Free photo resizing program?

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
I need a program other than photoshop to resize some digital pics. Anyone know a free prog for osx?

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
My suggestion..

You could use iPhoto or Graphic converter if you have this. What would be even better is an automator action that would do this. Funny thing is I was just searching for this same capability that could be done using the automator. This is of course if your running Tiger.

Anyone else?

Nuc

Comment

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
you don't need automator. Graphic Converter has a batch "Convert and Modify" command under the file menu. You select a folder of images, tell it how you want it to resize, then it goes to town.

Comment

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Anything wrong with iPhoto? Just use the export function under "Share" and you can then specify what size you want your photos cropped to. Works for batches too.

Comment

powerpuffkay

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2007
help me... too?!?!

Okay.. I stumbled upon this thread when I googled photo resizing programs, and I was happy I wasn't the only one having problems!!! I JUST got a Mac, brand spankin' new, and I'm trying to get accustomed to some changes. Like not having a simple 'paint' type program to resize photos to put on my loooovely myspace, etc.

I'm frustrated!!!!!! I downloaded the iZoom and iResize programs, and NEITHER of them are working!! They look like exactly what I need, but fr some annnnoying reason they are not opening my photos!!! Yes, I checked again and again to make sure my photos are in JPEG/.jpg format or whatever, and they ARE. So I joined this forum thing and all that just so I can talk to someone and get this figured out!!! It's crucial!!!

I have iPhoto, and I'm really surprised that there isn't anything already on the bleepin' Mac that can simply RESIZE A PHOTO. Throw me a BONE here!!!! I searched all the help menus and EVERYthing!! Believe me, I have been actually trying...

If anyone can help me, I would greeeeatly appriciate it!!!

Comment

powerpuffkay

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2007
alright, yeah I was reading someone saying how to do that.. I guess I'm used to microsoft's paint program, and what I would do is use 'stretch' to actually downsize a photo by percenteges, like 50% height by 50% width, so I never paid any attention to actual pixels. How do I make sure that I resize my photo evenly, pixel-wise, by height and width so it doesn't come out distorted?? Does it matter?!

Comment

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I need a program other than photoshop to resize some digital pics. Anyone know a free prog for osx?
If you're resizing to email, Mail will do it automatically. When the image is imported into the new message, there will be a pop-up menu at the bottom where you can specify the size.

Comment

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
London
The problem with the resize in mail is it doesn't adjust the quality so you might end up sending small pictures that are over 150k which is a little ridiculous, I think.

Thanks to this thread I just found the batch resize function in GraphicConverter! I never knew it existed. I've been searching for something like this for ages. I tried SmallImage2 but found that the quality of the exports were rather poor when, on other programs, you get much better quality with the same file size.

Comment

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Some great suggestions in this thread, but let me also throw in Automator. I made a Finder plug-in that lets me right-click an image and click "Scale to 50%" and it does exactly that. Use the scale function from Preview. You can specify a hard number like 50% or 1000 pixels, or have a dialog pop up that lets you choose at the time you run the script.

My first time using Automator - handy!

Comment

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
London
Some great suggestions in this thread, but let me also throw in Automator. I made a Finder plug-in that lets me right-click an image and click "Scale to 50%" and it does exactly that. Use the scale function from Preview. You can specify a hard number like 50% or 1000 pixels, or have a dialog pop up that lets you choose at the time you run the script.

My problem with using Automator like this was the file sizes. Usually I'm resizing stuff to email or upload to a site and the file sizes are often crazy.

I'm hoping there will be a function with Leopard's Automator that will do this. If not, there's always other options.

Comment

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Thanks to this thread I just found the batch resize function in GraphicConverter! I never knew it existed. I've been searching for something like this for ages.
I've been singing the praises of graphicconverter for years, but due to many of its amazing features being just slightly hidden, many users never realize how powerful it is!

The batch convert command in graphicconverter is incredibly useful and versatile! There are even many non-graphic related processes it gives you the power to perform on a folder full of non-graphics files! Also, it has the absolute BEST thumbnail picture browser, catalog, organize system ever! It's totally customizable, so you can view just the details you want to see, like filename and file size, and hide all the rest.

I'm telling you all, if there's something you want to do with an image file, the first place to look for a solution is graphicconverter.

Comment

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN

Nice, I've been wanting to have something like that since I switched from Windows. Can you explain how you did it? I don't see how you can pop up a dialog to ask the desired size.

EDIT: Never mind, found this: http://mymacbuzz.com/2006/10/15/right-click-image-resizing-with-automator/

Sweet! No app needed to resize.

Comment

keonislili

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2008
Tacoma, WA
YOU DON'T NEED A PROGRAM!!!!!

Once exported/saved/dragged digital pics out of iPhoto:

1) Click open / Open up in Preview
2) Go to Tools
3) Find Adjust Size...
4) All the simple tools for resizing is available on our Macs, no need for downloads/programs!!!!

:cool:

Comment

aliskink

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2010
2010 Update

Having just got a Macbook Air I've gone through this same pain, but eventually worked it out.
Step 1: In iPhoto just go to the album where the photos are that you want to resize.
Step 2: From the main menu in iPhoto either do Edit > Select All or select the individual pics you want to resize.
Step 3: From the main menu do File > Export
Step 4: Change the 'Size' drop-down to Medium or Small and...
Step 5: Click Export
Step 6: In the dialog that opens, click the arrow next to the 'Save As' box to change the location & file name if you want (otherwise it'll overwrite the original version) then ...
Step 7: Click OK

You'll find your teeny-weeny shrunken pics in the location you specified in step 6.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.