Free SDK vs $99 - explain the diffrence?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paulobrad, Mar 6, 2008.

1. paulobrad macrumors regular

What does paying the $99 to be a developer vs getting the free SDK get you?

2. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

the ability to sell the apps on itunes. basically they arent charging you to host your program if you want it to be free... but they are charging you to host your program.

They lied.

3. Lionheart macrumors regular

Lionheart

I believe you misunderstood. It costs $99 to publish your app on iTunes for distribution. The SDK is free.

If I got that right...

4. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

From my understanding, you get a beta of the 2.0 firmware. also the payment is required if you want to be able to publish your apps to iTunes.

Seems like a way to encourage developers to charge for their apps, even a small amount to cover their developer charges. Hopefully devs figure out a way to publish freely if they so desire.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't think that Apple will accept your applications for distribution to others without being an approved developer. But I believe that anyone can get the SDK and tinker for themselves.

6. thesdx macrumors 6502a

I still don't quite get it. Is the $99 fee for all devs who want to host their apps? Is it a one-time fee?

7. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

One time fee. Once published you'll see 70% of the revenue generated by the sale of your app.

8. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

you get the sdk but to publish your app its 99 bucks, unless the app is free, then it doesnt cost anything to publish it

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Actually, according to the press release it's $99 / year.

10. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Total burnage.

11. werkedm3 macrumors member

So, essentially they are charging for hosting, even though they blame it on certs. Way to go apple.

12. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

interesting is that how much .mac costs each year.

I thought it was just for early release testing (the fee i mean)

13. igglepuff macrumors regular

it sucks if its a free app - if its a commercial app it makes sense, and could bevery beneficial to devs

as said, teh 99$/yr is to have yoru app on teh itunes store to sell. Im pretty sure it does NOT include 2.0fw beta ... the framework was in 113 for the sdk. 2.0 has allt he enterprise things in it

14. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

From the press release:
    A little more than just hosting, I'd say.
    "access to pre-release iPhone software" implies to me it DOES include 2.0.

15. igglepuff macrumors regular

+1. It's basically the same as putting your product in a store. it costs money so they dont waste their time/shelf space

oh yea, the sdk isnt free or $99, either. the sdk is free. the fee is for the store listing as mentioned. they go hand in hand, btu not the same at all.

16. simoleon macrumors newbie

I'm happy for the fee...

Personally, I don't want some moron who isn't clever enough to round up 99 bananas making apps for my iPhone.

17. paulobrad thread starter macrumors regular

So with the free SDK I'm getting now can I put anything on my iPhone or just use the simulator?

I can only actually run my app on my iPhone if I pay up right?

18. loudog40 macrumors member

Is that $99/yr fee standard for any Apple Certified Developer? I'd be willing to bet that this money goes into supporting tools and materials for the Apple Development community and that Apple will pay for the 'hosting' of iPhone applications with the 30% cut they're taking instead.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me seeing as how Apple is giving the average Joe access to both the mobile platform AND distribution channel for only $99/yr up front. Stop complaining and go make some $$$! :)

Worrd.

19. igglepuff macrumors regular

the sdk is free, the fee is not related ot the sdk directly, its the distribution channel fees. paying or not would not change if you can or cant use apps (no one knows until somethign is out to try). The framework was built into 113, wether it was compelte or not, who knows until its tested with an app.

20. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

So, do you think there is anything stopping someone from setting themselves up as a centralized publisher of free iPhone apps that others develop as a way of sharing the burden of the $99 fee?

Goes like this: Develop free app, submit to publisher, publisher submits to Apple, Apple does their thing.

B

21. igglepuff macrumors regular

im thinking its more along the lines o certian tools that may be needed for X app that will be in the firmware itself (ie soemthign for push), not the actual firmware. It would result in leaking the firmware all over, which seems possible, however not likely to me. just my 2 cents.

22. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

With the free SDK you can only use the simulator.
    Correct.

P.S. How long until buymeaniphonedevprogram.com?

23. abrooks macrumors 6502a

OK let's simplify for those not getting it.

The SDK is 100% free, will allow developers to create applications using a set of tools and test them on the iPhone simulator.

The $99/year allows developers to get technical support, access to pre-release software and distribution via the App Store. No different to ADC charges that are in place now.

What is currently unclear is whether people can develop an application and avoid the fee and get the app on the iPhone.

24. igglepuff macrumors regular

from what ive been told form my dev guy is the fee includes pre-release access such as teh framework to new thigns in 2.0, liek push and so on, not however the actual firmware.. but he just got it a few min ago so hasnt checked into evertyhing yet

i still think it woudl be odd to see them ive out the firmware when they are so secreative over firmware junk for the phone always, espcially as it would allow unlocking earlier and so on. I could see it being the framework to new toold, adn new tools, but not the actual new radio adn so on. *shrug*

if anyoen ahs a concrete, i have the sdk adn paid the 99 ro 299 fee so have proof, please let us know - my dev is.. wonkey at times:p

25. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Lets not forget the little guys who can code to death and have some killer stuff, yet they are not even old enough to drive let alone get a job......

But for the most part, I agree.