Freedom Fries! WTF?

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
So I went out to a little restaurant with my family tonight and I was looking at the menu, and something caught my eyes: Burgers, Served With Freedom Fries. Um, aren't Freedom Fries like so 5 years ago?

I was so tempted to ask the waitress for some French Fries, just to see what would happen. :)

Has anybody else seen any mention of Freedom Fries recently?

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
I was so tempted to ask the waitress for some French Fries, just to see what would happen.
I wish I had an opertunity like that but I live close to Seattle.

Don't find much freedom fries support around here unless one travels east over the Cascades or south to the Vancouver WA area.

I bet if I visited some ma & pa I might.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Ask them, "May I please have some french fries, please, and make them extra french." Instead of ketchup, ask for some dijon mustard.

:D

This freedom fries thing is asinine. Always was stupid, always will be stupid.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
... I seem to recall the response to French Fries, being re-named Freedom Fries, was that French Fries were actually invented by a Belgian Dude and Belgium was actually assisting with the US. Size 15 foot in mouth for the USA, at the time.

Of course could be urban legend.
No you're on the right track. It's hotly disputed between the French and the Belgians who exactly invented hot chips (fries). Both have similar foods based around fries, eg., moules et frites, and both tend to eat fries with mayonnaise.

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
What I don't get is why they call them "Freedom" Fries. That's implying that French == Freedom, and the two can be used interchangeably. A "better" :)rolleyes:) name would be something like Coward Fries or something. (I don't agree with this AT ALL but that would better convey what they morons were trying to say).

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
there was a restaurant i went to at rehoboth beach that served freedom fries, although that was last year, i forgot to check the menu this year.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
That is stupid... I remembered when that was the big thing. I would sit down at a nice little diner for breakfast,
Me: "yes I would like 2 eggs over hard, and a piece of french toast".

waitress: "I'm sorry sir we serve freedom toast."

Me: "Really?, ok, bye"

waitress: "sir, you haven't paid for your coffee"

Me, at the door: "Well, ask the French, I'm sure they'll pick up the tab"

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
It's weird, because just the other day my girlfriend and I were thinking of going to this mom & pop pizza place a few doors down from us, but we saw they had "freedom fries" on their menu. So we didn't go.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
You sit down, look at the menu, with pompous manners, and say this:

"Je voudrais des frites de la liberté, s'il vous plaît. Merci"

If they've kept the freedom thing on the menu, You won't change them, so have some fun!

And if you can, whistle La Marseillaise.

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
You sit down, look at the menu, with pompous manners, and say this:

"Je voudrais des frites de la liberté, s'il vous plaît. Merci"

If they've kept the freedom thing on the menu, You won't change them, so have some fun!

And if you can, whistle La Marseillaise.
We were totally going to order the fries in french from the pizza place. But it was raining, and we're poor so we didn't leave/eat out.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
You know, thinking back on it, I don't remember ever seeing "freedom fries" on a restaurant menu during the last six years. And I live in the deep, deep south.