Freeing more disk space

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jwolf6589, Mar 19, 2011.

1. jwolf6589 macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

I am down to 30GB's on my SL Mac. Anyone got any ideas on what I can delete? I have done all the obvious steps which is emptying the trash, and deleting unwanted apps.

John

2. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

You could do a search and find apps like monolingual that can free up some HD space.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

OmniDiskSweeper

It's very rare that some application or process would have created big, useless files so your best bet is to go through your files and delete all unnecessary files. Also, you could invest on an external HD and move infrequently used data (such as videos, photos) there to free up space in the internal HD.

Of course, you could upgrade the internal HD as well.

4. jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

I have an external drive, but am not sure how or if I should move my iPhoto, or iTunes library to it. Also I dont think they would backup if I did so since I use the drive for Time Machine. A larger internal drive would be ideal. I ran a certain app that deleted unwanted languages and it free 2.5GB, and after reboot got another 3 back so am now at 35GB free!!

5. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

I would move your photos and media to an external drive (you can use a raid 1 to ensure data integrity) this will buy you lots of space.

Cheers

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

HDs are so cheap now so I would just grab a bigger one. 500GB is only ~55$ or so and you can get up to 750GB (or 1TB if you have unibody MBP)

7. jwolf6589, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2011

jwolf6589 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jwolf6589

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If it is a MacBook or MacBook Pro then you didn't do the really obvious step - which is buying a bigger hard drive. If you are down to 30 GB free space now and delete stuff, you will be down to 30 GB again soon. And apps that delete stuff from your Mac that is supposedly not needed always risk messing up your Mac.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

GrandPerspective is currently maintained, while DIX is basically abandonware.

That said I typically use DIX since I'm used to it's Ui.

B

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I recommend caution when using Monolingual. I've used it with good success, but if you're not careful, you'll end up removing something you shouldn't. If a user thinks carefully about what they're doing, it's a helpful app.

One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much