Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacGamver

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
One of the images shows a dual 6-pin to single 8-pin adapter cable.

The Mac Pro comes with 2 6-pin cables (or you can buy a set if your's didn't).

Seems like you could easily power it with the adapter they provide.

Yeah, I'd assume the 6 to 8 pin would be fine, as the wattage requirement is acceptable. I'd just like to know it's not going to harm the Mac.

Fl0r!an

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2007
And by OOB support, you mean a Kepler card since Maxwell is not? Didn't we come to the agreement that once El Cap releases, Maxwell cards *should* get some basic OOB support?
Hehe, I guess until Apple agrees, too, this doesn't matter... ;)
From what I've seen so far Apple didn't change anything with either of the Betas, the GM or 10.11.1 Beta, so I assume they won't bother do update their drivers until a new Nvidia card finally makes it's way into a Mac.

Reactions: navaira

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
And by OOB support, you mean a Kepler card since Maxwell is not? Didn't we come to the agreement that once El Cap releases, Maxwell cards *should* get some basic OOB support?

Nobody has ever said this.

Please realize that the NVIDIA cards in 10.10.5 are the very same as the ones in 10.8.5.

So already twice they have moved to a new OS and left supported cards out. The last new cards in default OSX were the GYX780 and GTX Titan.

The GTX780 Ti and Titan Black are in same boat as 980Ti and Titan-X, no basic OSX support. Rather ridiculous and proof that Apple is no longer interested in making best or fastest machines.(or making life easy for those who do)

MacGamver

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
Hehe, I guess until Apple agrees, too, this doesn't matter... ;)
From what I've seen so far Apple didn't change anything with either of the Betas, the GM or 10.11.1 Beta, so I assume they won't bother do update their drivers until a new Nvidia card finally makes it's way into a Mac.

True indeed!

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
GTX950 already in drivers.

Nice little card.

Runs 5K with ease, pretty sure these benchmark numbers compare rather favorably with high end cards from 3 years ago.

Amazing how wonderful it is to be able to switch GPU at will. We may end up doing an EFI version.

Thanks again to our friends at Nvidia who keep writing drivers despite Apple's insistence that we all want 2011 era AMD cards.
Screen Shot 2015-09-24 at 7.06.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-09-24 at 6.47.58 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-24 at 7.15.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-24 at 7.15.12 PM.png
    209.3 KB · Views: 172
Reactions: MacGamver

Fimbrethil

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2015
Install the card in slot 2 or set up OpenGL Extensions Viewer to load up automatically on OS X startup.

I'm curious, do you have a genuine 5,1 or a 4,1 that was upgraded to a 5,1?

Hello, i just want to tell you i try to put my geforce 970 in PCIe slot2. In slot 2 OpenGL trick don't work, expansion slot run at 1500 rpm in idle and i can't fix that (i can in slot 1). It's really strange. I read a lot of topic about fans problem and i didn't understand why SMC become crazy with this card on my computer. I hope it's not dangerous for my computer...

Regards

Pierre

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Hey, great news. I just finished my first final El Capitan install on a 5,1. I was able to leave my EFI 980Ti in the whole time, the key being to first use the:

nv_disable=1

in terminal. The EFI drivers give fine video output, even to a 4K display (SST) to allow the install to run.

Had another user report same thing in our blog. And it gets even better, if you were running the GM with most recent Web Driver and install the Final build over it this way, all you have to do is then turn the Web Driver back on via terminal and reboot. must either clear NVRAM or actually type:

sudo nvram boot-args=nvda_drv=1

If you use the Nvidia driver panel it will ADD to the boot args and leave the disable in, you need to remove it.

The b07 Web Driver just looks for "15A" as build number, so any build of 10.11 should match.

The 5K nv_spanmodepolicy=1 flag can be added as well for 5K to work. Still have to power cycle.

I am sure Nvidia has a final driver coming soon, but nice to know that you can use El Cap on Day 1.

Thanks to Nvidia and Netkas we have wonderful options for cMP.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^I hope they have a driver soon for PB 10.11.1 (15B17c) I have updated on of my SSDs to the final release 10.11, and yes the Nvidia Driver works fine. I think I want to keep the 10.11.1 PB on my main startup SSD however. On a side note, I was surprised to see the Feedback Assistant still remaining in the final public release.

Lou

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Just to be clear, those of us with non-EFI cards (like my GTX 970) won't work at all until nVidia releases 10.11 webdrivers, correct?

Is there a place to keep an eye on for said software? Will the first post be updated with the link for 10.11?

Socket

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2015
I installed ElCapitan, b07 Nvidia web drivers and works good.
But unfortunately my GTX960 is not recognized in metallinfo, so mac pro's 5,1 have no chances to utilise Metal?

Fl0r!an

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2007
I installed ElCapitan, b07 Nvidia web drivers and works good.
But unfortunately my GTX960 is not recognized in metallinfo, so mac pro's 5,1 have no chances to utilise Metal?
I guess it's the other way around, computer model doesn't matter but Maxwell doesn't have Metal drivers yet.

I'm pretty sure I've seen metalinfo showing my gpu in a MacPro3,1 some months ago when I tried.

Socket

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2015
I guess it's the other way around, computer model doesn't matter but Maxwell doesn't have Metal drivers yet.

I'm pretty sure I've seen metalinfo showing my gpu in a MacPro3,1 some months ago when I tried.

ah ok so you think that maybe next time, nvidia will create a driver for gtx960 supporting metal?
can i ask you what's your graphic card on 3,1?

MacGamver

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
Safe to assume there is built in support for Keplar cards on the stock drivers in El Cap? (GTX650Ti)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.