Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
The GTX 680 is very popular among Mac Pro owners because:

1. They can be easily flashed with Mac EFI firmware by users. There are two threads on this forum with directions to flash the 2GB version and the 4GB version.
2. It's a very good performing card.
3. Unless overclocked, it fits within the power requirements of Mac Pros.
4. Works with built-in drivers of OS X. Therefore, the Nvidia web drivers are entirely optional. This is a big advantage when doing OS X updates.
5. Works with 4K monitors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Synchro3

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
No, you won't get boot screen without flashing.

I see no downsides to flashing. In a worse case scenario, you can always flash it back with original firmware.

fiatlux

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007
Do you guys think that there will ever be new GPU card with officially supported EFI for osx?

I guess you mean a new PCIe card for the classic Mac Pro?

Highly unlikely IMO, but I did not think nvidia would maintain their web driver for so long either, so what do I know?

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
yep sorry you wont get boot screens but i dont relay see a need for them, iv not had boot screens for 3 years and have no problem with that.
with the older cards like the gtx 680/770 you can still boot from a osx install partition or install windows no problems it's only with the newer cards you can have problems because you need to run the nvidia drivers.

you can change boot drive with system prefs and use the boot to windows thing if you need to boot in to windows often.

there is always ati cards

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
There is a software update for Yosemite: Remote Desktop Client Update 3.8.5.1. I am using a GTX 980. Do I need a new nVidia driver?

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
I agree. I don't think there will ever be any more official video cards released with EFI, unless, of course, if Apple reverses courses and starts selling Macs with PCI-e ports again...

As for Nvidia web drivers, I think those are there to also support the hackintosh community.

scott.n

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2010
No, you won't get boot screen without flashing.

I see no downsides to flashing. In a worse case scenario, you can always flash it back with original firmware.
One downside, if I understand things correctly, is that you might lose a factory overclock.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
well as long as apple keeps using ATI cards ATI will have better support.
if they ever start using nvidia agen then the driver's will turn up in osx.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Historically speaking Apple has gone back and forth. There was a time when ATI was the predominant GPU in Macs. There was a time when Nvidia was. Now it's ATI again (AMD).

I too have preferred one or the other at different times, and thus have switched back and forth according to my needs and according to whichever was on top at the time.

As a Battlestar Galactica fan, here is my thought:

81951d02af1dcb2cd3324581b4e424e6.jpg

Reactions: orph

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Currently certified only DisplayPort 1.2 ….. DP 1.3 /1.4 will follow.

DP.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.