Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LittlePaul

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2014
Hi
i'm here another time....
this morning after update osx and reboot the system cannot using NVIDIA Web Driver 346.03.15f04.
See pictures...
Where I find a Web Driver?

thank's

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^I think it's a cosmetic thing. 8.0.53 continues to work.

Lou
[doublepost=1481734451][/doublepost]
Hi
i'm here another time....
this morning after update osx and reboot the system cannot using NVIDIA Web Driver 346.03.15f04.
See pictures...
Where I find a Web Driver?

thank's

Have you installed the latest security update that brings the build to (15G1108). Your first screen shot didn't show the build.

Lou

Last edited:
Reactions: pastrychef

LittlePaul

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2014
^^^^I think it's a cosmetic thing. 8.0.53 continues to work.

Lou
[doublepost=1481734451][/doublepost]

Have you installed the latest security update that brings the build to (15G1108). Your first screen shot didn't show the build.

Lou

This is my build..

05.png

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
This is my build..

05.png

You installed the Security update 2016-003 for OS X 10.11.16 too soon. Should have waited for new Nvidia web driver.

Since you have a Kepler card you can use the built in OS X drivers until new web drivers are released.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Sorry if I missed this in the thread somewhere, but is it only me who has trouble starting up (get forbidden sign) my macOS Sierra installation that I use with my Mac Pro with a non-EFI NVIDIA card on a "normal" Mac?

Previously I have been taking out the drive from the Mac Pro to start up from it on a MacBook Pro to install the OS update and apply the new Web Driver from NVIDIA. This is to avoid the hassle of having too take out the non-EFI graphics card, put in the EFI one, do the OS update and install the new Web Driver, take out the EFI graphics card and then finally put the non-EFI card in again.

Unfortunately it seems the latter process is what I have to go through now... Am I the only one having this problem , or is this the way it is (for whatever reason) with Sierra?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Sorry if I missed this in the thread somewhere, but is it only me who has trouble starting up (get forbidden sign) my macOS Sierra installation that I use with my Mac Pro with a non-EFI NVIDIA card on a "normal" Mac?

Previously I have been taking out the drive from the Mac Pro to start up from it on a MacBook Pro to install the OS update and apply the new Web Driver from NVIDIA. This is to avoid the hassle of having too take out the non-EFI graphics card, put in the EFI one, do the OS update and install the new Web Driver, take out the EFI graphics card and then finally put the non-EFI card in again.

Unfortunately it seems the latter process is what I have to go through now... Am I the only one having this problem , or is this the way it is (for whatever reason) with Sierra?

That sign means the computer's boot loader cannot find any bootable partitions. That shouldn't be related to video drivers or GPU's EFI at all, but maybe there's some link I don't know about.

mgmtm3

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2016
What is the current process for updating non-EFI cards to a new OS revision level? I want to go from 10.12.1 to 10.12.2. My current thinking is to disable the nvidia driver and put it back to the apple driver, do the update, remote screen share back in, update nvidia driver, reboot system, done??

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
That sign means the computer's boot loader cannot find any bootable partitions. That shouldn't be related to video drivers or GPU's EFI at all, but maybe there's some link I don't know about.

Thanks for your input!

That's interesting, because like I said it works fine in the Mac Pro (Mid 2010) but not in two MacBook Pro laptops I tried with (one 13" Mid 2012 and one 15" Late 2013). The 13" gives the forbidden sign and the 15" just restarts back into my internal startup disk, i.e. it doesn't seem to want to startup from that drive either even if no forbidden sign is shown.

The thing is this started when I used my MacBook Pro 13" to update the Mac Pro startup disk to Sierra from El Capitan. After the macOS Installer had done it's initial thing on the Mac Pro startup disk (at this stage I was started up from the internal drive of the MacBook Pro and had launched the macOS installer from there) and tried to startup from the Mac Pro startup disk the forbidden sign was triggered. I was afraid I had hosed the macOS install on the Mac Pro startup disk, but then I tried to put the drive back into the Mac Pro (with the EFI card also installed) and then the rest of the macOS installation process went on as it should. So it seems something is preventing my Mac Pro startup drive with Sierra from starting up on anything but the Mac Pro.

I was thinking maybe I can use Pacifist on my MacBook Pro to run the 10.12.2 update onto the Mac Pro startup drive and after that also install the Web Driver for 10.12.2 using Pacifist. Do you think that will work? Or maybe it's better to just swap the graphics cards around every time I want to update macOS. But of course it would be nice to avoid that…

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
What is the current process for updating non-EFI cards to a new OS revision level? I want to go from 10.12.1 to 10.12.2. My current thinking is to disable the nvidia driver and put it back to the apple driver, do the update, remote screen share back in, update nvidia driver, reboot system, done??

Aha… Remote screen share – maybe that's a good idea for doing the OS update. Didn't think of that. Not sure if it will work, but will try it now. :)

Edit:

Worked fine!
I simply ran the macOS 10.12.2 update (didn't even bother to disable the NVIDIA Web Driver first), the computer did the update and restarted into the updated OS without video of course, but I could remote control the computer fine. I just logged in and the NVIDIA Driver Manager came up saying the current driver was incompatible with the OS. So I simply installed the latest driver version and restarted and everything was working fine after that!

Last edited:

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
Using a SATA to USB 3.0 adapter.
That might be the problem. I recall that I tried a couple of SATA -> USB 3.0 docks before I found one that would allow booting off the SATA disk pulled from a sled. Probably something to do with disk geometry or partitions or some other low level stuff involved in mapping from USB 3.0 to SATA.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Source: owned a 3,1 and upgraded its processors to 3.0 and then 3.2. Was not satisfied and went the 4,1->5,1 route. YMMV.
Guys, shut me up, if you had enough of off topic, but
How would you discribe the fan noise when under light load 2.8 vs. 3.2? Like 10-20% cpu load? Is it still a big difference? I wouldn't mind few hours of noise per month when doing some heavy rendering, but the rest of the time, I need the noise level be quite quiet...

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
Guys, shut me up, if you had enough of off topic, but
How would you discribe the fan noise when under light load 2.8 vs. 3.2? Like 10-20% cpu load? Is it still a big difference? I wouldn't mind few hours of noise per month when doing some heavy rendering, but the rest of the time, I need the noise level be quite quiet...
I have a 2.8GHz & a 3.2GHz 3,1. There is no difference in noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.