Fresh Lion USB install! Nightmare!

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Evostar*, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Evostar* macrumors member

Hi. just got my first mac mini today! whoop! got the high end i5 with dedicated gpu. I'm ok with os x and installs. i made my Vaio into a hackintosh with leopard etc.

i have followed every guide about creating the lion usb install from the installed.dmg they are all the same. but my mini will not whatsoever display the drive in the start manager on boot!??? i have tried this with 2 hdd and 2 pen drives. anyone know what could be the problem?

i can select the pen drive/hdd via system preferences target disk mode. but it won't boot. comes up with a circle and a line through it.

surely usb devices kexts are loaded at the start manager screen?

p.s i have installed my Momentus XT inside the mini and am running the stock install via usb at the moment.

thanks for any help or advice given.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The new Mini's have their own special build of Lion and cannot boot or use the App Store version.

3. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

Why the hell would you even want to do an install on a brand new computer that has a clean installation sitting on it?:confused:

4. Evostar* thread starter macrumors member

to use my momentus XT 500gb hdd instead off the slower stock drive.

5. Evostar* thread starter macrumors member

hmmm thanks for that info. hmmmm. looks like a time machine backup i guess is my only option at this point. thank you.

6. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

just clone the oem hdd to the usb stick with "superduper" free down load all that net download is not ready for primetime. I cloned the oem hdd to the ssd i put in and it works fine, look at the thread I did.

7. Evostar* thread starter macrumors member

8. Karlsruhe macrumors newbie

Karlsruhe

If I understand you correctly, you still have your hdd from the mac mini. Then I would buy a cheap external usb enclosure put the original mini hdd in it, boot from it and then do a clone (with superduper for example, if it has a lion version) from the usb hdd to the momentus xt hdd inside the mini.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

And if the poo really hit the fan, shouldn't you be able to do an Internet Recovery after you put a new, blank HDD in your 2011 mini?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

10. Evostar* thread starter macrumors member

yeah thats what I'm doing now mate. i took the stock out and its running via usb right now. the xt i installed inside the mini. was just hoping to do a usb fresh install. but didn't realise the minis have a later version build of lion.

i have 2 xt's just waiting for the cable to become available to raid them up internally. 8gb rams turning up 2moro too. both the Sata support 6GB too. would love a pair of raided OCZ's ;)

thanks for your help guys and girls

11. Evostar* thread starter macrumors member

cheers i did startup that partition via the boot manager. might try that overnight. as my internet is a 1mb dl line.... ha!

need to adjust my eyes to the 40" of led screen pleasure after using my iPhone for everything for past 8 months :eek:

12. Evostar* thread starter macrumors member

all complete. writing this from my installed xt. cheers folks

13. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

14. DyManic macrumors member

How much faster is it? Thinking about the XT myself.

Plus, was it fairly easy to replace?

15. JimDut macrumors member

Hi,

Was there any reason you didn't use the Lion Internet Recovery?

Due to your Broadband Speed?

Jim