Frick!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacDryCleaner, May 17, 2009.

1. MacDryCleaner macrumors regular

For the FIRST time since I got an iPhone (I was 3rd in line on the original iPhone day) I dropped my iPhone this morning. However it landed ... the volume buttons don't work and the headphone jack is crushed and I can't get my headphones in anymore. Frick! Now, 2 months away (too long to wait) from the new iPhones coming out and I'm gonna have to replace it.

Frick, frick, frick.

2. cridiron macrumors member

Frick dude, that frickin sucks bro! Throw your phone in the pool so it gets a bit of water damage and you can get a new 8GB one for $199.

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Actually that might be your best move. Back it up. Drop it in the toilet (or cleaner water) and tell the local "genius" it accidently got wet. :)

Make sure it's good and dead. They will replace it for $199 no questions asked. Best deal for you. :cool:

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Ok... not bad, but still, its $199 he still has to cough up.

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I paid $218 yesterday because the scratches on the screen bugged me. It's all part of the game. I've had the Genius Bar comp me enough times I thought I'd give a little back.

6. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

Why don't you stick your sim card in an old phone (if you have one, if not, buy cheap at ebay) and stick with that for 2 months.

7. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Agreed. At least do that for a couple of weeks until WWDC to see if there is any iPhone news.

Of course if you do pay $199 for a refurb I am sure you could sell it later on eBay and recover most of that.

8. ZbadhabitZ macrumors newbie

Definitely. Get yourself a new one for $199 if the Genius Bar won't do anything (it can't hurt to go in and ask; sometimes they're nice and make exceptions), and use it for two months. Keep it in good shape, and re-sell on eBay when the new one comes out. I sold my original iPhone for almost twice what the iPhone 3G cost me; I made money by getting the newest :)

9. foob macrumors 6502

foob

If it's just the volume buttons and headphone jack, get a $20 mp3 player until the new phones are out.

10. PhxBlue macrumors regular

PhxBlue

11. MacDryCleaner thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks

First of all ... thanks for the ideas. What started out as a rant .... well, now is a quest. I have a quick question: Why would Apple give a rip if I dropped my iPhone in water and it doesn't work versus what actually happened; I dropped my iPhone on the ground? Why would they help me get a new phone cheaper one way but not the other?

Again, thanks for the ideas, this forum is terrific.

12. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

if you get a non smart phone (and you can live without it) you could save 2 months worth of the data fees.

13. svndmvn Guest

I wouldn't cause more damage, if wet it wouldn't be fixable, it could be now, either tell Apple you shouldn't really pay 199 since that would be the cost for having a fried phone, or fix it yourself finding a not working one off eBay or parts from ifixit and such. A good genius could actually get you one for free.

14. kelpi macrumors regular

kelpi

That's if you can even wait that long. My wife washed my iPhone a few weeks ago and I've since caught a bad case of iPhone fever. I even check and browse for new apps every day.

15. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Negative. He is under contract for the iPhone.

16. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Well, it's the same company that's stealing money from poor customers because of sometimes way too sensitive moisture sensors. That's their rule, and that's the way it goes, according to SJ.

This is one more in a line of anti-Apple posts that I've made once I realized how annoying the iPhone really is. I figured out that the only reason I was living with this "phone" (that can't make phone calls properly) is because I'm obsessed with Apple, as are many people on MR. Once I got over it, I remembered all the troubles the iPhone has caused me.

17. Benjic macrumors regular

You are not signed to a contract for bolt-on packages, you are under contract for a term of 24 months to retain service with AT&T, and nothing more. I removed my iPhone from my account for an older Nokia for a period of time, and the rep didn't ask twice about removing the data, and she even backdated it to remove any prorated fees from my bill.

18. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

if it still works just live with out the headphone jack

19. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

As soon as I see 'Frick', I think Scrubs.

Lol.