Friend bought an HTC sense

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 3runjosh, Nov 9, 2010.

1. 3runjosh macrumors member

So I google the sense and ok that might be in the top 5 most ugly modern day phones I have ever seen. I look at his Facebook status " No longer a slave to the closed minded cult that is Apple.
    23 hours ago via HTC Sense"

This guy used a iPhone3g for about 2 years and loved it. He is one to jump at new things but this is ridiculous. The htc sense is so bad. I think a lot of people don't realise when it comes to Apple, they release every year or so not every half month like the other companies. Apple always kicks other companies buts in design and features every release. Now I have had a look at the HTC Sense in use and yes it does have some nice features but when the iphone5 releases HTC will be unheard of again. Things will always be this way and always have been. Apple = design win and Apple = Feature win for the time period of their products. Apple = innovation, and other companies either copy apple design almost identically, steal features and get sued or try to be original and fail hardcore :/

what is everyone else's take on this?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wait till the new cellphone factor goes away within a week or 2 and he realizes its nowhere close to an iphone or the iOS he used for the past 2 years:D

3. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Who cares! By the time iP5 releases, HTC will already have a phone with Gingerbread (3.0) on it which should really make Android another big step up. Not everybody likes to stick with Apple and their uncustomizable OS.

4. jaeguyoon macrumors regular

Both you and your friend take cell phones way too seriously. It's just a phone at the end of the day, who cares what someone has and what someone says about the iPhone.

5. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Differeng stroke for different people. If you like iPhone then buy iPhone. If you like HTC then buy HTC. Nothing's wrong with that.
    Your friend post however might show that he's buying into Goolge "open" marketing ************ though.

6. jlian macrumors newbie

Wait, isn't HTC Sense a customized UI of Android made by HTC? It's not a phone, so you really didn't specify which phone he got.

By the sound of it, I don't think you have an idea of what HTC Sense-driven Android system is like. It's actually really nice. Most definitely one of few mobile OS's I've seen that could compare to the iOS in terms of usability and sleekness (WM7 is another one).

But, like others said, it's just a phone. We can relax.

7. mpossoff macrumors 68020

The one thing that makes me jealous with android counterparts is that screen size is much bigger. Their phones for the most part are all screen. There is room to make iPhone screen longer but not wider. If you make iPhone longer it might not look good cause it would be out of proportion. I love the size of iPhone device but I'm jealous of larger screens from androids.

8. Jumpman2033 macrumors regular

I actually like the size of the iphone and its screen. I would hate to carry a bigger phone around. The iphone fits nicely into my pocket. That is just my opinion though. i don't know what you would need a bigger screen on a phone for. I can clearly see everything on the screen with ease and for things like web pages i can zoom in. If you really need a bigger screen to accomplish things then you should be in the market for a tablet or laptop. Again, this is just my opinion but i think the screen and overall size of the phone is fine.

9. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Don't want a bigger device, as I said I'm happy with the size of the device itself for the same reasons as you.

But I would like a larger display.

The problem as I said that there is certaintly enough room to make display longer but not wider without increasing size of device. But making it longer and keeping it same width might look out of proportion.

10. str0ppy, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2010

str0ppy macrumors member

I'm not really sure how you think Apple are kicking other companies buts (lol) with features. If anything it's obvious they are getting left behind. Your argument that the iphone 5, which I'd like to point out doesn't exist, will make HTC unheard of is utter rubbish. You have nothing to back it up with except speculation. What have apple brought to the table with the iphone 4 that, at the time, blew away the competition? Facetime?

I've had an iphone for two years and I can't wait to get an HTC, and it's fanboys like you who have helped make this decision very, very easy.

P.S. HTC sense isn't actually a phone. But you probably realise that now.

11. mpossoff, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2010

mpossoff macrumors 68020

That's the industry. When the iPhone 4 came out others were left behind. Same thing will happen when new iPhone comes out. The issue is there are alot more droids than the iPhone. If iPhone came out with new version as much as droids then a different story.

You comparing lots of droids to one iPhone with new droids coming out every month compared to once or maybe twice a year for the iPhone.

In my opinion iPhone sets the standard then droids try to match. Since they cone out with versions much more often if course they can beat iPhone with features and such.

I guarantee if apple came out with versions of iPhone as often as droids it will be a much different story.

12. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

1. HTC Sense is a user interface skin for Android. It would sorta be like me saying 'I bought an iOS 4.' (okay, not the best analogy, but you probably get what I'm trying to say). You did not state what phone he bought (some Android w/Sense phones like the Hero are ugly, while IMO the HD2 and Evo are pretty good looking).

2. Why should you care about what your friend likes? Not sure why it's 'ridiculous' for your friend to dislike iOS and like Android.

3. when the iphone5 releases HTC will be unheard of again. Things will always be this way and always have been.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHA

HTC is a huge smartphone maker. I didn't see HTC/Moto/Nokia become unheard of when the iPhone was released. Always been this way? What? What major technology company has gone under because of the Apple iPhone?

4. Apple = design win and Apple = Feature win for the time period of their products. Apple = innovation, and other companies either copy apple design almost identically, steal features and get sued or try to be original and fail hardcore :/

Wha...? Design is a matter of taste. I for one find my HD2 to be better looking than my iP4.

Feature win? What major features does iOS have that Android doesn't?

Copy Apple's design? Steal features? What?
    Look! It's a phone with a big glass touchscreen! Yes, they must have stolen that design from Apple! OMG! It even has a speaker and camera! They should be sued!

Your grammar, spelling and your ideas 'fail hardcore'. It's a frikkin phone. Your friend's frikkin phone. Why would you care?

13. samcraig macrumors P6

My take on this is "post fail"

Seriously. If you're friend is happy with his phone why does it bother/concern you? Be happy for him. He's a FRIEND, right? No doubt you're trying to make him feel bad about his decision. Nice friend you are.

Not to mention you're wrong on many fronts. Apple will always have competition.

And this "Apple = innovation, and other companies either copy apple design almost identically, steal features and get sued or try to be original and fail hardcore :/ " is ludicrous.

Apple is innovative. But with many things in OS - they provide a great/unique user experience but that experience is also steps behind in many areas than other OS's.

Or maybe you think Apple invented cut and paste. Or folders. Or being able to have a unified inbox....

14. Jumpman2033 macrumors regular

Cellphones all boil down to personal preference on every level but one (the ability to make a phone call). As long as a cellphone accomplishes its primary function of making a phone call then it becomes personal taste that separates them.

Some people prefer the very very basic while others prefer complex (advanced). The only thing that matters at the end of the day is what YOU the OWNER think of your current phone or a potential purchase. Who cares what i think about your phone, the person down the street or your best friend thinks.

I am 100% completely satisfied with my iphone 4 and have found no reason to even look in another direction, but that doesn't mean that the iphone is the greatest in the world, it just means it is the best in my world.:D

15. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Hmm, HTC makes android phones for everyone. He could have an Incredible, EVO, or MyTouchHD. All of those phones are pretty good.

In other news, I went to the T-mobile store to play with the HTC HD7, one of the new Windows phones.

Only got to mess with it for a few minutes, but I can see why people are saying it is a real contender. I wonder if people on this forum will be whining about Windows Mobile 7 instead of Android in another year or so, LOL :D

16. synagence macrumors 6502a

Steve Jobs: "Good artists copy; great artists steal"

Who's innovating and who's copying is all kinda blurry these days anyway .... hence the myriad patent wars that are going on with everyone suing everyone

But to OP .... be a nicer 'friend' - so what if someone goes android ... choice = competition = innovation = better products for all!!!

17. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

So you are saying Androids are setting the standard through their fast evolution and Apple tries to match it with its annual upgrade? ;)

The iOS/Android/WP7 competition is great for consumers. There is no single OS that can be on top permanently at this day and age.

To the OP, your post is such a fail. You don't even know HTC Sense is a UI/Skin. Fanboy at its worst.

18. -A-P-M- macrumors newbie

LOOOL what a stupid thread :confused: HTC Sense is a phone ???? :D BTW: Sound of my hifi station called "Marantz Lady Gaga" is very girly, next time I will try a B&O. :rolleyes:

19. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Personally, I like to see my friends with other phones than me. It gives you guys things to talk about and argue about. Sure it may get you all mad at each other but the thing is it doesn't matter all that much.

It is good there is always competition and I am glad there is competition especially in technology.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. You and everyone else should buy what they want and what fills their needs.

Agreed. Sense is HTC's mod of Android. I happen to really like it. If I were to get an Android phone, I would definitely get one with Sense on it.

21. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

HTC are nice phones. I love the big display. If I didnt have an iphone id want a HTC. I hope apple do opt for a bigger screen on the iphone in the future.

22. mpossoff macrumors 68020

That's not what I said, please read my post again. I hate when posters try to put words in someones mouth.

23. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Maybe you didnt see what i posted above. By the time iP5 comes out, Android will be running Gingerbread 3.0 and that is supposed to be a big upgrade from 2.2. So though im sure iP5 will have a new feature or two, Android is already ahead of it by having freedom of customizations, FFC that can be used with the network and not just wifi, just to name a couple things.

Sure there are more models but the majority of the newer ones have a FFC using Froyo 2.2, ...Apple is on 4.2.1 with a year and a half or two of a head start and getting passed up already. Blame Stevie for locking you down his way. There may be more room to work with when Apple expands to other networks because if iP4 could use the network to do Facetime on an already crowded network, man it would be even slower.

The new Windows 7 phone is ok, but it isnt as customizable as Android and the home page with all those boxes, i do not like. No multitasking either.

24. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I prefer a less bells and whistles much more polished os like the iPhone , thank you!

25. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

LOL, well if you call the horrible notification system that iPhone has a more polished OS than Androids then you certainly arent hard to please. Not saying at all that Apples OS isnt any good, it just isnt up to speed.