Friend dropped her iPod somewhere... now what?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by LeighAnna Jones, Mar 12, 2011.

1. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

I'm sure many people are tired of hearing the posts of the lost and stolen iPods.

But anyways;

My friend dropped her iPod Touch 4G in our school hallway (Which is also a church, our school is a private christian school and the church uses the building too)

So anyways we can't find it and it's not turned in to any of the lost and founds. SO; someone took it.

It did not have a passcode on it and had MobileMe on it. (She says she had find my iPhone on it but I don't believe her for some reason) So I made a mobile me and we are hoping to find it. Will my app still work if FMIP (Find my iPhone)
    is not on her iPod??

We can hide in the bathrooms and use wifi from the coffee place in our school to use my app. Also her entire family uses the same apple id. Could that be a problem? Thanks.

2. Roadking macrumors 6502

I don't understand why you need to hide in the bathroom...

Hope you find the ipod. Good Luck.

3. nukem170 macrumors member

I doubt u will ever find it. For something like tracking to worn the iPod need to be connected to wifi in the first place. But when someone takes an iPod one of the first things they do is to turn it off until they get a chance to restore it disabling any tracking permanently.

4. nukem170 macrumors member

Probably bc it's a catholic school. You can't get any work done unless u hide in the BR.

5. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

ya sorry but unless someone turns it in your ipod is gone. find my iphone really has no use at all on an ipod touch. It works on an iphone because the 3g can tell right where the iphoen is. for it to work on an ipod, the lost ipod would have to be connected to a wifi network, have location settings turned on (if the ipod was stolen a smart person would turn them off), and the wifi network would have to be setup so it can give out the signal of where it is located. I'v only seen one wifi network like that.

6. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

My wife worked at a library and a school and you'd be amazed at how much stuff people (mostly students) lost everyday. Even once a month a laptop would be left.
    My favouraite was the student who left their wallet, macbook and iPod touch behind and didn't come back for three weeks. Wallet contained credit and debit cards plus various id material and cash along with keys to apartment with their address. Incredible.

7. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

You mean his buttler came after 3 weeks

8. LeighAnna Jones thread starter macrumors 6502

She dropped it in the middle school hallway; so I doubt a sixth or seventh grader is gonna know how to restore it and such. Possibly if we're lucky they may have just deleted the apps and they connected it to their wifi at home, so we may still have a shot of finding it.

Also, we are a private school, (christian) and we have to wear uniforms and that crap and we can't have any electronics out of any kind, so blah blah blah..

9. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

Perhaps you were smitten :p

In all seriousness the least you could is either ask around, put up something that asks anyone who might have found it to turn it in.
    Doesnt seem very ethical someone would steal or take in the first place... but stuff like this usually never turns up :(

10. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

He was a she - and was asked - hadn't she missed it all? She said that she thought she knew where it was so wasn't worried....... questions about survival without keys, money etc were asked and she didn't seem to be to know or in the least bit concerned. Oh to be so young and care free.

11. ender land macrumors 6502a

Hm, my first thought was "pick it up" but clearly that won't work in this case ;)

12. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I disagree! I'm pretty sure they'll know how to. At least I did.

13. pepi macrumors member

+1 Give the kid a few electronic parts and they could build you one :D

14. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

6th and 7th graders WILL know how to restore it. most of the most of htem have a touch or at least a ipod and will know how to restore it since when you plug it in there is a big restore button. i bet a 2nd grader could restore an ipod.