Friends reactions?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by naasrd, Oct 21, 2015.

1. naasrd macrumors 6502

naasrd

I must say I'm really taken aback by some of my friends reactions, which I laugh off. Some have a real hatred for the watch and their excuses for not wanting one ranges from the childish to the bizarre. And I've only had the watch a week!

2. Aniseedvan macrumors 6502a

I've had mine for a lot longer and just get looks of incredulity. Usually right up to the point I use it for paying something - like £150 worth of groceries at Waitrose. I just ignore them, I bought it for myself, I'm not trying to sell it to anyone else...

3. Roller macrumors 68020

I've had friends and colleagues ask me if my watch is useful, but nobody has criticized me for having it or said why they wouldn't want one. It would seem childish if the comment were unsolicited.

4. jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

When I showed up to my office with one for the first time, at our morning meeting, the first comment I heard was, "I wondered who the first one would be."

I usually am asked if I use it a lot/is it worth it. I don't really care whether anyone else thinks it was a wise purchase. It's my money to blow on whatever gadgets I want.

5. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

Meh....not an issue. I wear tie dye shirts, I've got my hair as short as a 12 year old boy's, and I wear Birkenstocks.

I do what I like.

6. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

So what are some of the childish and bizarre comments you've gotten?

I've not really gotten any comments, but I've only had it now for a little over a week.

7. applewatch macrumors regular

My friend: You bought that? I can't believe you'd waste your money on that.

Me: You want to try it on?

*fried tries on watch, plays around with the watch*

My friend: OMG I LOVE THIS THING!

8. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

Yah....that's probably the thing. Some folks like to turn up their noses at something just because it's popular.

9. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Mostly along the lines of "...Oh, you've got one of those Apple iWatches".

10. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I have only been asked about mine twice since launch day and both were cashiers. No people I talk to on a regular basis have said anything one way or the other even when I have pointed out something using the watch. A message or whatever they just read it, say OK, and move on.

11. Mr.C macrumors 601

I think a lot of people have negative views because they don't understand the watch and how it can be useful. They think it's jus a gimmick and not pointless.

12. cwedl, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015

cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

I've had a lot of positive comments, though I do say to people I like the watch, but even I see it as an expensive gimmick and recommend they don't buy one.

13. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

My friends think I am ridiculous with technology (nest, hue lights, Amazon echo, etc). They group this in that same ridiculous category.

14. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

As long as its not Crocs on your feet. Then I'm afraid I'd have to arrange an intervention!!

15. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

LOL!!!!! Nah.....those stay in the mud room.

16. rowdt1 macrumors regular

My friends think I'm stupid and think I can't handle money. I find them annoyingly ignorant when it comes to trying to see the benefits of new technology. EACH TIME we're drinking a beer together they can't help but mention it. Man, those discussions.

17. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

Not sure how you could conclude that someone can't handle money from them buying watch... unless you really can't handle money and are giving them other indicators. Plenty of people aren't interested in new technology. My wife is one of them. She's happy not using it, and I'm happy using it... no problem. I also wouldn't try to evangelize about your technology while drinking!

18. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

You're right indeed.

What fascinates me is the lack of interest that I witness within my wide circle of Pro Apple friends and associates. It gets neither criticized or praised, it's simply never a topic of conversation. That's what causes me to wonder just how much Apple is manipulating the narrative around this product.

19. Vixenmd macrumors newbie

Vixenmd

My friends, my husband, my son, my step son... My in laws you name it. Thankfully I don't care. They know I like technology so mostly it is in gest. The kids (13 and 18) are the ones that are the most over the top about it. They don't let it go. Partly they are also into tech but both very anti apple. So I am the tech parent/adult they know but into apple which they hate. But they say the same thing about my ipad, my iphone 6s plus (which my son calls my spatula) and my mac air.
    One of my best friends (a guy) told me a story about being in the ATT store and discussing the new things they get. Sales guy says to him "we have enough new things that I have some people who come in ever two weeks to get the next gadget" I bet my friend is one of them lol. He and I have been friends for 20 years.
    They also give me crap for my painted nails and my shoes. I am professional in my 40's but I push th edges on a lot of things.
    I get the same crap from people about my Harley (you will die, do you really ride the bike answer yes over 10K miles a year).
    I learned a long time ago to just be 100% me.

20. naasrd thread starter macrumors 6502

naasrd

Here's a few of the more memorable ones; "It's the most prentious device of it's generation." "I don't need another device I have to charge." "You can never say you didn't get an email or text again."

My stock response is, "Yeah, I don't think it's for you." It's knocks them dead.

21. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I've only had a few friends ask, "Is that the Apple Watch?" Then they proceed to ask if I like it. No immature comments or anything of that nature. The majority of my friends also know that I love Apple products, so it didn't come as a surprise when they saw the watch on my wrist.

22. rowdt1 macrumors regular

That's a good question. I believe they think it's a huge amount of money spent on a product that you use passively. On the other hand, they spend more money on their cars, something that I find completely unnecessary. The thing is, I would never tell them that. If they believe it's worth their money then be my guest, I'm not their father.

I'm not even evangelising my technology while drinking.. I'm not even the person starting the discussion. After a couple of beers or so there's mostly one of them who thinks it's necessary to call me stupid. I mean, I'm not self-conscious, but things like this do get on my nerves after a while.

23. Mtmspa macrumors 6502a

In my department at work, there are 8 people with them, so it is now commonplace to have one.

24. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

Haha... yep, broke people will be ready to give you financial advice quite frequently. I don't have any debt, not even my house, so if I want to spend whatever on a watch that I "passively" use, then I would just say I worked and saved for many years so that I have the option to buy what I want. I too think people spend ridiculous amounts of money on cars, and they depreciate way faster than Apple products! But that is their business and I too would never tell them I think its stupid unless they frankly asked for my opinion... even then I would say, "not for me, but glad you enjoy it". My vehicle has about 100k miles on it, and I intend to have it for a long time to come. But I will buy new Apple products because I enjoy using them and their impact on my daily life.

25. parrot5 macrumors 6502

I've had a Pebble Steel for more than 2 years. Ever since Apple announced the Apple Watch (but not even available for sale yet!), friends that saw my Pebble would ask if that was the Apple Watch. So I sometimes showed them how I got notifications and a couple simple apps like monthly calendar.
    Fast forward to now, I actually wear the Apple Watch, and no one asks me anything anymore because they are used to me wearing a smartwatch. Maybe they even think it's the same Pebble. Lol