Fring! (Installed VOIP and multi-client IM app now available on iPhone)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cparkphoto, Apr 15, 2008.

1. cparkphoto macrumors member

Anybody else played with the new fring app yet? Strange that they released one for jailbroken phones. I guess they feel that apple is going to be ok with releasing apps that were previously available via installer. They say on there site that they are doing it for testing. Had a couple crashes but mostly smooth.

Edit: obviously my iPhone doesn't even know fring exists yet since it called it fringe in the subject line

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

How 'bout a link? I google'd and can't figure out what you're talking about....

Are you talking about this?

http://www.fring.com/

3. i0Nic macrumors 65816

4. cparkphoto thread starter macrumors member

www.fring.com/iphone.xml
    So far so good. Couple of crashes at the beginning but since then it has been running smooth. Seems to run well in the background. Boygenius has some info up on it as well.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Any screen shots please?

This is fairly awesome, and it would be pretty cool if someone were to make a touch-compatible microphone (we know this is possible due to the complex-seeming solution on the old firmware).

6. touchyphone macrumors regular

Why not just get an iPhone instead of hoping Apple makes a mic for it(they won't why would the risk iPhone sales). Get an iPhone, simple....

7. igglepuff macrumors regular

i've used SIP with fringe a couple of times and it works great. ONly issue is the delay, though many other SIP capable apps seem to be teh same :( Haven't tried skype out, it keeps bringing me bak to the dialpad when I try :/

anyone else get a delay, or get skype call-out working?

8. igglepuff macrumors regular

toobad it keeps bombing to the dialpad when i trytp use skype-out. SIP works fine, jsut has a 2s~ delay ;/

9. nsheikh80 macrumors regular

nsheikh80

10. 7on macrumors 601

7on

oh fring...

Had that on my WM6 phone. 'Twas a waste of space.

11. East macrumors member

help

Could somebody teach me how to set up a SIP

12. chuckles:) macrumors 6502

For skype out you have to start the number with +(country code). the country code is 1 in canada and the us.

the biggest problem is that as of now it will only use the mic on the headphones, but putd out sound through the ear speaker, making it very impractical.

13. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

Why does it say free when you have to pay to use skype to call people.....

14. chuckles:) macrumors 6502

Its free skype to skype, buy you have to pay for skype to phone.

15. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

Fring Brings VOIP to iPhone, Touch

[​IMG]

Fring announced an early release of their Voice Over IP (VOIP) application that allows you to make telephone calls over the iPhone's Wifi connection. Besides VOIP, it is also a multi-client instant messaging client with support for Skype, MSN, Google Talk, ICQ, Twitter, Yahoo! & AIM.
    Fring has also provided a Youtube video demonstrating the Fring application on the iPhone. At present, it is only available to Jailbroken iPhones. Download instructions available here.

Article Link

16. chuckles:) macrumors 6502

It doesn't work that well yet, mb when it comes out of beta.

17. MacFly123 macrumors 68020

When are you people going to realize IT IS NOT JUST A PHONE??? It is an iPod aka lots of storage wanted, it is the worlds first all in one mobile computing and internet device with 3rd party apps aka even more storage wanted. The more the merrier, end of story!

18. JWeier@Transpar macrumors newbie

This is probably the best application made for the iPhone/Touch. It condenses all of my contacts into one buddy list as well as integrates my SIP and Skype accounts.

I can't seem to get Skype to work but am just going to try again tomorrow. SIP works great.

gizmo5.com if you are looking for a SIP account.

19. ankursingla macrumors newbie

Works great with GTALK and SIPPHONE from Gizmo

I have tested the following simultaneously:

1) Googletalk - Both Voice Call and Text - Works Great
    2) SIP Phone using Gizmoproject - Outgoing calls work well - slight echo on the far side and not on the iphone side
    3) Background Text Message receive on GoogleTalk

20. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

i read this on engadget earlier and sorry to sound like an idiot, but...
    what exactly is so great about this/VOIP? i thought VOIP like vonage and stuff was just clearer than normal landlines and used wifi to connect. so what's the benefit for the iphone?

oh, and i don't see this in my installer app?
    http://www.fring.com/iphone/

21. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

how did you get voice calls on gtalk to work? I called someone on their mac and it didnt do anything.

22. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

VoIP calls do not use your cellular minutes, and generally offer MUCH cheaper international calling rates than either landline long distance or international cellular calling plans

23. cazlar macrumors 6502

Just used it to call Australia with Gizmo. A bit of an extra delay compared to calling from my Mac, and it broke up on occasion but that may have been my wifi. Pretty cool app though overall.

24. lessmind macrumors newbie

Gotta say I am a big VoIP fanboy, been deep in it since the mid 90s. But I still do not get the love for VoIP on cellphones, saving minutes, sure, but most plans are pretty sufficient for most users, BUT, I will say that maybe for international calls it makes a bit of sense. I think this is an app that is fun as a hack , but at the end of the day I think there will be better apps for most things that this adds outside of international calling, just my two cents.....