From No, To Yes... Why I Now Want An Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by technosix, Apr 2, 2015.

1. technosix macrumors 6502a

Firmly in the no camp, but not hating the watch, I simply had no desire for one. No apparent use as I interpreted it as further distraction from my very busy day.

And then I read this article sharing some of the inside info like what Apple's intent is, how they arrived at where they are today, and of great importance to me, who was involved.

Here's the one article, out of hundreds I've read, that changed my mind.

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/the-apple-watch/

2. Ries macrumors 68000

3. rjlawrencejr macrumors 6502

Did you actually read the article?

4. urda Suspended

urda

No, that should be 100% obvious to the well educated user here.

5. Cory Bauer macrumors 6502a

I loved that article; sharing the development backstory of a product before it's even released, along with countless raw interface elements, has to be a first for Apple. But what specifically in the article turned you into a Watch believer?

6. Ries macrumors 68000

Stop being so naive. It is one long "The Watch is so magic" ad by Apple PR.

----------

See above.

7. mcz51221zz macrumors newbie

It would be an ad if Apple paid Wired to write something about the Apple Watch. Is this what happened? Probably not.

Most likely, Wired, being a tech magazine, wanted to write an ARTICLE, not an AD on Apple Watch because they know their readers are interested and want to read anything new about the upcoming device.

So no RIES, it's not an Ad. It's an Article.

8. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Interesting. Does anyone remember when we first starting hearing rumors that Apple was creating a wearable? Because I believe it was early 2013. Anyone have a link to the first rumor?

9. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

10. Sharkey311 Suspended

11. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

It's an Apple fluff piece, but still an interesting article.

12. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Enjoy your new watch, I'm still in the think it looks nice but don't see the need in my life. Now it was £99 I might be more tempted.

13. Multiverse223 macrumors regular

It's amazing how many people have no life and vist forums of a product they have no interest in. Hahah

14. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

I think it's a lot like a republican visiting a democrat message board (or vice versa).....

They truly in their hearts think that all these people are 'wrong', that they've been 'brain washed', they're 'sheep', and they just need to see the light. Once these people 'see the light' they'll move to their side.

This is so similar to the passion of Jehovah's Witnesses. They go door to door trying to convince everyone that they're lost, and need to figure it out.

15. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Ad? Why? Because it's not critical of the watch you immediately presume it's propaganda written by an Apple shill?

Mmmkay.

Next time someone writes a piece you agree with, I'll make sure to refer to it as nothing more than propaganda.

You don't find the watch useful, don't buy one. But don't suggest that others will find it useless.

I for one welcome the Apple watch. I use a Peeble Steel now and find it invaluable. I get sometimes upward of 50 unique text pages per day - forwarded to my cellphone (don't carry the actual beeper any more). Instead of pulling my phone out each time, I can glance at my watch and see if it's something I need to respond right away to. And when it's on silent, I won't miss them any more (hard to feel when the phone is in a suit breast pocket or lab coat pocket).

And knowing when my next appointment is, listed at the bottom of the watch face, will be quite handy as well.

You don't need one or don't have a use for one? Great -- spend the money on something else. $600 will be a decent TV. But just because you don't want one doesn't make the Wired article a fluff piece. Besides, the author is reporting what the designers said - not what the author himself believes. You know, the difference between journalism and opinion/editorial pieces.

16. Uccle macrumors regular

Well, while not an ad in the textbook sense of paying and having absolute say over the look and content, this is an Apple PR finessed piece. Wired was given "special access" (I have experience, in general, with doing this not direct knowledge of this particular Wired piece) maybe with the (unspoken) understanding that there will be advertising purchased or, if unfavorable, access denied in the future.

I have worked in PR here in Silicon Valley for 15 years (never at apple) and this is how it works with trade publications...not always, but frequently enough. That is not to say the piece is dishonest just that Apple PR did a very good job. Wired was chosen for this access. The timing of publication was also orchestrated.

In spite of my cynicism, I'll be online at midnight on the 10th :)

17. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Yes a little fluff and clearly quite planned with insider access BUT it was very interesting to me. As a retired software developer I loved to hear the process. It makes me feel like we will not see rapid changes to the interface because they HAVE already spent time thinking about it and experimenting with it.

18. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

As if Apple is the first company to do this. Heck just the other day we got one of these "articles" on Engadget explaining how the Surface 3 came to life.

The making of Surface 3: Microsoft's little tablet grows up

And then there are these "articles" from the Verge:

Microsoft's health revolution is here, starting with a $199 fitness tracker
    Microsoft Health, the Microsoft Band, and a plan to unite the world

Material world: how Google discovered what software is made of
    The next era of Google design is about software as substance

I hope Apple does more of this. If their competitors are doing it they might as well too.

19. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Can you enlighten us? We sit at your feet with bated breath.

----------

Ok, but it's not an ad. Having access does't mean it's fakery, false, or dishonest.

20. Uccle macrumors regular

Exactly right. Which is why it is called press relations.

21. rjlawrencejr macrumors 6502

I am sure your analysis is spot on. It's done in every industry not just Silicon Valley.

I wonder when the embargo on actual product reviews will be lifted? I'm guessing 4/23.

22. Uccle, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015

Uccle macrumors regular

Hmm, interesting question. In my experience (not consumer products) we'd allow reviews the day of the product release (a lot depends on the media...whether online, weekly or a monthly publication). But this roll out is pretty unique. I wouldn't be surprised if they lifted the embargo on the 10th/week of the 13th...assuming they are expecting good reviews. Once it is out in consumers hands it might make sense to go ahead and lift the embargo. Maybe they'll wait until a day or two before ship date as they did with the iPhone 6.

But, I have no idea and am enjoying watching the masters at work. This apple watch release has been unusual to say the least!

No matter which publications get what information and when it gets released, you can be sure Apple will have planned everything down to the smallest detail...until, at least, everyone on these forums and on social media goes bat*** ;)

23. technosix thread starter macrumors 6502a

After over two decades as an Apple customer, I most certainly do not disagree that a good portion of the article was not only written to make Apple look good, but in addition its timed perfectly to continue the buildup and create buzz.

That said some aspects of intention were interesting. The highest priorities still don't change, the first of which is to add another fat income stream direct to Apples coffers.

I found it interesting enough to create a desire to try the watch experience first hand. In my case I'm still going to wait until the second generation. First because Apples new lower quality standard has caused me far too much frustration with my iPhone 6 and 6 Plus models.

Every year I buy the newest iPhone a tradition I've practiced since the original. Each and everyone has had some small bugs, a normal occurrence. But the 6 series is plagued by app and browser crashes daily. Apple is capable of much better.

24. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Amazing. I nave never had anything crash on my iPhone 6+ and my husband has a 6. I use mine a LOT. Maybe it is the apps you use? I love my 6+ and like that I get a long charge and a reliable battery percentage that does not fluctuate up to 30% like my 5 did. My 5 regularly got down to 10% in a day but if I turned it off and on it was suddenly at 35% again.