From U.S.A to EUROPE

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by InspectoR95, Jun 3, 2011.

1. InspectoR95 macrumors newbie

Hello MacRumors forumers.
    I'm new here and I just want to make clear that I almost know nothing about apple. As a result, I'd like to hear some good advice on my question. It might be silly for some but, I need an answer.
    So here's the situation:
    I live in Europe [Greece] and an Ipod Touch here costs a lot.
    8 GB --> 259 Euro 32GB --> 300 Euro
    However, an aunt of mine lives in the USA [Chicago] and in case she brings me an Ipod Touch from there it will cost less. Around 150-200 Euro.
    BUT, can an Ipod touch that was bought in the USA be properly used in Europe?
    If yes, is there any specific process to achieve that? Or without doing anything it can be used.

PS: I do know that I have to buy something so that I'll be able to charge the battery of the ipod.
    Thanks in advance fellas.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It will be fine. The only differences will be the default language and the power plug. Language can be adjusted in the settings and the power plug can be changed with a cheap plug adapter.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It will work just fine. Just plug it into iTunes and set it up. :)

4. InspectoR95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I don't mind about the language. I see it as a chance to work on my English :p Yes, as for the adapter I'm aware. Can I also ask about that generation thing? Would it be too difficult to explain what's this all about?
    If my aunt goes to an apple store which Ipod Touch should she ask for?

Thanks a lot mate.

PS: I asked because I also wanted to buy an Iphone 4 but I was informed that there's a process. Something with a password in order to activate it. Is this true?

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Don't buy an iPhone from the USA, they are locked to AT&T and you won't be able to use it with the Greek networks.

6. InspectoR95 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's exactly what my aunt told me. That's why I'll buy another phone.
    Could you also tell me something about the generation thing?
    [ thanks for the fast and really helpful answers ]

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Have you got a Mac?

If you have get Mactracker and you can get the details on almost every Apple product ever made. :)

8. InspectoR95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope mate. I don't have Mac. Apple stuff here almost cost double !!!
    I'm sorry for the stupid question I might make but I've never had any apple gadget before and I really really want to buy an iPod Touch.

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Never mind.

Try iLounge, they have reviews of all the iPods and loads of information which should answer most of your questions. :)

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What "generation" issue are you asking about? They'll only be selling the current generation in the store. I think they're up to the fourth generation on the iPod touch now.

11. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

don't worry about generations. you said that you don't know that much about Apple, so why bother yourself with the tiniest smallest details. just tell her to walk into an Apple Store and ask for the latest iPod touch there is. just choose what capacity you want it. (16GB, 32, or even 64). and trust me, you'll love it no matter what! :D

12. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It's perfectly fine. The iPod only comes with a USB plug anyways.

13. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

You should be fine if you have your aunt send it to you. No VAT holding you down in America, so you can even have a little more freedom in what size you pick. Once you get it, there's probably a localized USB to wall outlet plug like there is here, and picking a new language is fairly easy. You seem to have a good grip on English though so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

14. InspectoR95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot dude! This seems to be really helpful for guys like me :)

My aunt also informed me about that :) Thanks a lot fella!

Yes, actually you're completely right! I have already ordered a 32GB ipod touch! Can't wait to have it in my hands :D

Yes, as I said on the previous quote, I decided to order a 32GB ipod touch. It'll soon be on its way ! As for the language, yes. I don't mind at all. I've been studying english for 7 years now. Even if there is an option to use a greek menu, I'll probably prefer the english one! Thanks :)